11 goals scored in 6 League games?

The Goal Machine

Therein lies the problem.

All our good play in the first half and one goal was the only reward. Vital in the game after a European tie, the game should have been won in 45 minutes. Then comes the drop off in intensity and it only takes one chance and 2 points dropped.

Always trying to score the perfect goal.

SHOOT!

Last season we only really needed to score 1 because our defence was absolutely solid. Struggling this season because we are losing goals, so we really need to score 2 or 3 to secure games which we don’t seem capable of doing.

That is a telling stat.
and as long as Simpson plays, teams will get chances against us.
Balogun should have started today
I would also have liked Bassey to play today as he is a battler.
These games require guts and strength as well as flair.

Last year I felt like when we scored one the game was safe. That was the level of trust in the defence.

kind of felt that in the first half then we slipped in to one of those chasing the game films we’ve seen countless times

Conceded 5 in the league already, we conceded just 13 in the whole of last season :oops:

Understand that our defence and goalkeepers were unbelievable last season but that’s quite a stat

Therein lies the problem.

All our good play in the first half and one goal was the only reward. Vital in the game after a European tie, the game should have been won in 45 minutes. Then comes the drop off in intensity and it only takes one chance and 2 points dropped.

Always trying to score the perfect goal.

SHOOT!

Our goalscoring rate in opening 12 fixtures is something like 1.5 goals per game. We are also conceding at a rate of 1.2 per game.

It's anything but title winning form, either from an attacking sense or a defensive.

I think from Gerrard’s time our main issue has been not taking our chances. Seasons previous we seemed to score without too many issues but we’d leak goals. Has it been that making us tighter has meant we’re less creative or is it just a case that teams defend more as they know they won’t open us up as much. When we’ve played well the reason has been we’ve been quick and decisive, so far that’s been missing bar one or two snippets. We just look under prepared and lethargic right now - we’ve had the warnings therefore players and managers should know they need to knuckle down and start performing.

Also I think folks need to lay off Simpson, give the guy a run of games and then judge. He’s not played much senior football at all.

Back