12 points behind, 1 game in hand - what's the best we can hope for?

Close runners up in the league, scottish cup win and a continuation with our spirited european run would be a miracle given our current form

Get past Braga. Scottish cup final (hopefully win) and scud them at Ibrox. Whilst hopefully sorting out our form against the diddy teams. It would take a massive downturn in luck for that mob for us to catch them. Finish this season with some confidence going into next season with hopefully some good recruitment from Ross Wilson.

This is about it

I know that this is a bit off topic

But as I was looking up our fixtures for the rest of the season trying to see the best time when our game in hand could be played

I've just seen that the Scottish Cup final isn't being played at the end of the season as usual but 2 weeks before the season ends because Hampden is being used for Euro 2020

Basically if we go through against Braga and reach the Scottish Cup final , god knows when the game in hand will get played

Damage limitation at this point. Don’t get embarrassed in the old firms. Come out of Europe with head held high. Scottish cup final at the end of the season.

There's absolutely no chance of us getting embarrassed in the games against them.

Those games are the least of our problems.

I expect us to win at Ibrox and could easily win at the piggery.

Our biggest issue is beating the deep lying defensive teams.

Our European and Old Firm form shows we're more than a match for good teams that open up against us.

Unless the vermin take their eye off the ball, once they have won the league, then we will lose the title by at least 17 points

Last 8 in EL, and single digit deficit behind them in the league, and beat them twice, and win Scottish cup.

Single figures behind them at the end, beat them at least at home. Scottish cup is vital. Think wed is the end of the road in europe this season

We've went further than expected already. So yes, I'd say Europe is a distraction we can do without. Unless of course, we as a club have gave up on the league and are going all out in Europe. I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see us get by this round and the next by the way if thats how we are going for this.

For me personally, league and cup the priority.
The league is the unwelcome distraction right now.

They just don’t know how to lose just now and with the authorities and every other opposition willing them on they will only stretch this lead.

If we get the difference to single figures I’ll be very surprised. Best we can hope for is that we find it in ourselves to beat hearts on Saturday and go on to lift the cup.

One hell of a season defining week coming up.

I know that this is a bit off topic

But as I was looking up our fixtures for the rest of the season trying to see the best time when our game in hand could be played

I've just seen that the Scottish Cup final isn't being played at the end of the season as usual but 2 weeks before the season ends because Hampden is being used for Euro 2020

Basically if we go through against Braga and reach the Scottish Cup final , god knows when the game in hand will get played
Would be an irrelevant game anyway.

The league calendar wont be completed.

Public events will stop once the pandemic gathers pace.

We'll return to a barter/ subsistance farming economy (imagine a neddy version of Book of Eli) where football is only a memory..

If I was setting targets now, I’d say we have 2.

1. Win the Scottish Cup
2. Win the ‘mini league’ that is the remaining fixtures (I.e. get closer to them by 4 points or more.)

Europe is a luxury bonus. The target at the start of the season would have been qualifying from the group. Let’s go as far as we can though.

2nd is second regardless if it's by a goal or 35 points sadly. So we dont really 'need' to keep it down to anything. Everyone knows the current team are bottle merchants so reducing the gap when the pressure is off proves nothing.

2nd is second regardless if it's by a goal or 35 points sadly. So we dont really 'need' to keep it down to anything. Everyone knows the current team are bottle merchants so reducing the gap when the pressure is off proves nothing.
I don’t agree, sorry mate. We talk about the mentality of both teams. We need to start winning to build that up. I don’t care if the pressure is on or off. We must win games.

I don’t agree, sorry mate. We talk about the mentality of both teams. We need to start winning to build that up. I don’t care if the pressure is on or off. We must win games.
But we done the same last year. Proved we can beat Celtic. Blew it after xmas. Finished the season strong once the league was over. This season is just panning out the same way. Going on a run of domestic wins when the league is over and there is no pressure sadly proves nothing IMO.

Win our game in hand, win all other games until the end of the season.. Champions! (Well you asked for the best)

The Neil Lennon inspired 'Timplosion' that you lot were waxing lyrically about before a baw was kicked this season, to actually finally happen and we win 55.

Failing that, then I suppose progress in the Europa League would be nice. Reaching the final of the Scottish Cup or winning the Scottish Cup would convince me that we've got a serious shot of stopping 10 next season. Keep them on their toes in the league and run them as close as the current arithmetic allows. Oh and play some good football please, this turgid, no tempo, no risk pish is giving me the fear.

The Neil Lennon inspired 'Timplosion' that you lot were waxing lyrically about before a baw was kicked this season, to actually finally happen and we win 55.

Failing that, then I suppose progress in the Europa League would be nice. Reaching the final of the Scottish Cup or winning the Scottish Cup would convince me that we've got a serious shot of stopping 10 next season. Keep them on their toes in the league and run them as close as the current arithmetic allows. Oh and play some good football please, this turgid, no tempo, no risk pish is giving me the fear.

Surely reaching the Scottish Cup final and losing would be seen as failure and only highlight once again the weaknesses of this squad?

The best we can hope for realistically is
1. winning the Scottish cup
2. Going through to the last 16 of the Europa league , then depending who we get maybe another solid performance
3. Winning our remaining 11 games
4. Manager changing his formations in games

What I think will happen
1. Wont win the Scottish cup
2. Knocked out of Europe in Braga
3. Winning 7 out of our remaining games
4. Manager not changing tactics
5. Manager spending £10 million in the summer on long term contracts
6. The hangover from this season dragging onto next season and getting off to a bad start meaning further behind THAT LOT.

I HOPE I AM WRONG BUT HAVE NO CONFIDENCE AT ALL RIGHT NOW

Scottish cup and picking up more points than them until the end of the season. Preferably with two wins in the games against them!!

Winning the Scottish Cup is massive this season.
Starting next season with a squad that have finally won something will hopefully give them the motivation for more.
Would also rather they didn’t beat us at parkheed to officially win the league as that will be another psychological point scored.
Beating the filth at Ibrox will help that not to be possible.

Surely reaching the Scottish Cup final and losing would be seen as failure and only highlight once again the weaknesses of this squad?

Well that depends. We battered them in the League Cup final and still lost. It's a cup final at the end of the day. Winning it is the only acceptable option for me and I'm sure most of us. However I don't think our board and DoF think like us fans do. Either way, it would be a clear indication of what we need to do in the summer. The bare minimum is reaching the bloody thing imo. If we win it, it doesn't erase our collapse in the league either.

Keep it below 10 points and Scottish cup win is the best we can get this season imo. Can't see us going through on Wednesday but hope im wrong!

Well that depends. We battered them in the League Cup final and still lost. It's a cup final at the end of the day. Winning it is the only acceptable option for me and I'm sure most of us. However I don't think our board and DoF think like us fans do. Either way, it would be a clear indication of what we need to do in the summer. The bare minimum is reaching the bloody thing imo. If we win it, it doesn't erase our collapse in the league either.

A win would raise some doubts, mainly lack of winners, winning mentality, show we can do it when it matters. It also stops the rot, gives us a much needed trophy and puts hunger in the belly - breeds confidence.

Also proves that Gerrard and players can be successful having been questioned and written off.

A loss and it's likely to be a quadruple treble whilst the players and manager take more criticism.

The league is over so being less than double digits behind in the target now.

Win the Scottish.

Win the Europa?? Make the next round would be massive.

Look forward to next season.

Runners up once again which in this country means total nonentities.
We simply must win the Scottish cup, but I doubt the players have the belief or the desire.

The obvious answer is to win the league, the Scottish Cup and the Europa League and leave the Tims with only a tainted League to show for the season. If you think about it the odds of that happening are probably less than winning the lottery. I bet we’ll all be buying Lotto tickets at the weekend.

Hope springs eternal in this man’s breast.

Last edited:
The best we can hope for realistically is
1. winning the Scottish cup
2. Going through to the last 16 of the Europa league , then depending who we get maybe another solid performance
3. Winning our remaining 11 games
4. Manager changing his formations in games

What I think will happen
1. Wont win the Scottish cup
2. Knocked out of Europe in Braga
3. Winning 7 out of our remaining games
4. Manager not changing tactics
5. Manager spending £10 million in the summer on long term contracts
6. The hangover from this season dragging onto next season and getting off to a bad start meaning further behind THAT LOT.

I HOPE I AM WRONG BUT HAVE NO CONFIDENCE AT ALL RIGHT NOW

That's pretty much how I see it going to be fair.. although I'm more confident about Braga than the Scottish cup.

The Scottish Cup and an almighty collapse from them. Having said that, we would have to win 11 games on the bounce in the league - something we haven't ever looked like doing since coming back up. So in terms of the league, I'd say, right now, finishing three behind is the very best we can hope for – win our game in hand, beat them twice and win out. But I doubt that is possible, especially given our current form or there lackof.

Are we at the stage where most accept the league is done?
Are we at the stage of hoping we don't have a European distraction but Celtic do for a few more weeks in Europe and have their fixtures piling up?

On paper, if we can win our next two league games (and maybe even win the re-arranged game if it's in place due to being out of europe) then we could be looking at a situation of being 6 points back. Long shot obviously due to the form.

We should be looking for fight determination and a winners attitude, from now until the season ends.
Anything less will be unacceptable to our loyal fans.
Who's to say what can happen between now and the end of the season, especially if we change our attitude, and play for not only their future, but for the famous blue jersey.
As big Marvin keeps saying, keep believing.And as one of the older fans on here, i will certainly not be throwing in the towel to them across the city, a area i was born and brought up in.Because WATP.

I don’t see who is going to be taking points off them. They seeing to be easily beating everyone. They completely tore St Johnstone a new arsehole in the first half when they played them away last time and we are struggling to beat them. As a previous post said, need to win the Cup.

We need them to drop points in one of their next 2-3 games to avoid the league just being a sideshow. We are too far infront of 3rd to care and any further behind the scum ends our interest completely. If they lose one we have a potential 6 point swing with our game in hand, with 6 head to head points we at least have a punchers chance. the obvious problem is that I just cannot see us going on any kind of run.

2nd place.
i cant see us winning the cup. do well to get to the final, but if we did, I just dont think this side has the mentality to win it.
I actually think we will go out to hearts

Back