147 Years Ago This Week. The Birth of the Rangers.

The Moonlighter

‘’Thus ended their first match played at the latter end of May 1872 some two months after the inauguration of the club’’.

The words of Rangers player William Dunlop from his article The Rangers FC which he wrote so eloquently for the SFA Annual in 1881 using the pen name ‘True Blue’.

Rangers Football Club played it’s first ever match 147 years ago this week.

Our Club was formed on a spare bit of ground at Fleshers Haugh by a few kids who’d come to Glasgow seeking employment and a better way of life.

Their Club ,which they formed for no other reason than the love of football and the pursuit of sporting excellence, would go on to become the world’s most successful.

That first ever match was against Callander and ended 0-0, Willie continued,

“Their first game was a terrible spectacle with the ball suffering an incredible amount of abuse” William McBeath was given man of the match and then spent a week in bed recovering due to his exertions’’

Founder William McBeath was from Callander and we believe it would have been Willie who approached ex-pats from the town who had settled in Glasgow and that’s probably where the opposition came from for our first match.

Willie’s Rangers team-mate Sam Ricketts wrote in 1884 about the boys playing those first few games in their civvies and journalist John Allan wrote about them having to change behind a bush as there were no facilities.

William Dunlop described how genial Peter McNeil would travel on a Saturday morning to a desirable part of the Glasgow Green, set up the noted standards and stand guard until the classic hour came when he would be joined by his friends. We felt this was a very dramatic and moving image and commissioned a painting to be done depicting this scene.
We presented the painting by artist Helen Runciman to the Club in 2009 and it now hangs on the marble staircase at Ibrox.

The Rangers would remain at Fleshers Haugh for three years .

They then began their journey around Glasgow to Burnbank and Kinning Park before finally settling in the Ibrox area in 1887.

The Rangers FC by William Dunlop.
https://www.thefounderstrail.co.uk/the-rangers-f-c-by-true-blue

9qd0dc.jpg

npnc6a.jpg

2hmo4nn.jpg

A good read, what an incredible story we have.

I'm sure it was the Op that posted the story of one of the founding fathers being at Ibrox for the first 100,000 crowd, what a feeling that must have been.

Tom Vallance was a guest of the Club in 1933 (some 60 years later) for the games against Sporting Club of Vienna and Celtic.

Incredible that he seen us all the way from Fleshers Haugh into Ibrox.

As did Moses, only nine months after he passed in 1938 we set our record attendance at Ibrox of 118,000.

'The chant of the record Rangers' which is printed in 'The Spirit of Ibrox' by 'The Minstrel' which I think was printed in a sports publication on Christmas Day, 1899 should be made a sticky on here.

I'd love to know who 'The Minstrel' was?

Last edited:
so march 1972 is when our great club was founded? a month to be celebrated.

is there no documents to state which day?

I'm surprised there is no merchandise available yet. I'm waiting to purchase some golf shirts with the '150th' on the chest.
C'mon Rangers get on this.

Having attended the Centenary celebrations against Arsenal in 1973, I'm looking forward to our 150th event three years from now, when we'll be parading our 57 league champions flags round the stadium.

mp7grX4.png

S1FYECn.png

45TJjzV.png
The white shirt and black socks in the bottom photo looks excellent.

Having attended the Centenary celebrations against Arsenal in 1973, I'm looking forward to our 150th event three years from now, when we'll be parading our 57 league champions flags round the stadium.

mp7grX4.png

S1FYECn.png

45TJjzV.png
The bottom pic is from 1976 after we won the treble for the third time. Two other treble winning teams played each other when we played Dundee United at Ibrox at the end of 75-76 season. (49 v 64).

As Rampant as champions Rangers the greatest the world has produced.
I've got the battle fever on after reading that

As Rampant as champions Rangers the greatest the world has produced.
I've got the battle fever on after reading that

The bottom pic is from 1976 after we won the treble for the third time. Two other treble winning teams played each other when we played Dundee United at Ibrox at the end of 75-76 season. (49 v 64).
Wow! You know I had completely forgotten about that game between the 49' 64' teams until I read this.
My memory is shot to bits anyway.

No club anywhere has the rich history we have.

Something we should celebrate loud and proud.

Damn right, dh1963.

Here’s another wee snippet that shows our club’s amazing history. I first heard this on the H&H podcast.

Tom Vallance, Rangers first captain, played for the club in the earliest days on Flesher’s Haugh. He was a guest of the club for the opening of the new Main Stand on 1 Jan 1929, when Rangers beat Celtic 3-0 in front of a 60,000 crowd.

After the match, Mr Vallance shook the hand of Bob McPhail - one of Rangers’ goal scorers that day.

On the 13th of Jan 1996, Ally McCoist’s goal in a 4-0 win against Raith Rovers broke Bob McPhail’s record of 230 league goals for Rangers, which had stood for over 50 years.

Mr McPhail - a guest of the club for that match - shook Ally McCoist’s hand after the game, to congratulate him on his achievement.

So, two handshakes between three men provide a physical link from the club’s earliest days from 1872 to the present day, 147 years later.

You’re spot on b_j. I clicked on one photo too many when I posted them to imgur.

Well spotted!

It’s still a great photo, though.

‘’Thus ended their first match played at the latter end of May 1872 some two months after the inauguration of the club’’.

The words of Rangers player William Dunlop from his article The Rangers FC which he wrote so eloquently for the SFA Annual in 1881 using the pen name ‘True Blue’.

Rangers Football Club played it’s first ever match 147 years ago this week.

Our Club was formed on a spare bit of ground at Fleshers Haugh by a few kids who’d come to Glasgow seeking employment and a better way of life.

Their Club ,which they formed for no other reason than the love of football and the pursuit of sporting excellence, would go on to become the world’s most successful.

That first ever match was against Callander and ended 0-0, Willie continued,

“Their first game was a terrible spectacle with the ball suffering an incredible amount of abuse” William McBeath was given man of the match and then spent a week in bed recovering due to his exertions’’

Founder William McBeath was from Callander and we believe it would have been Willie who approached ex-pats from the town who had settled in Glasgow and that’s probably where the opposition came from for our first match.

Willie’s Rangers team-mate Sam Ricketts wrote in 1884 about the boys playing those first few games in their civvies and journalist John Allan wrote about them having to change behind a bush as there were no facilities.

William Dunlop described how genial Peter McNeil would travel on a Saturday morning to a desirable part of the Glasgow Green, set up the noted standards and stand guard until the classic hour came when he would be joined by his friends. We felt this was a very dramatic and moving image and commissioned a painting to be done depicting this scene.
We presented the painting by artist Helen Runciman to the Club in 2009 and it now hangs on the marble staircase at Ibrox.

The Rangers would remain at Fleshers Haugh for three years .

They then began their journey around Glasgow to Burnbank and Kinning Park before finally settling in the Ibrox area in 1887.

The Rangers FC by William Dunlop.
https://www.thefounderstrail.co.uk/the-rangers-f-c-by-true-blue

9qd0dc.jpg

npnc6a.jpg

2hmo4nn.jpg
Terrific picture.
Terrific story.
Terrific club.
Just terrific.

We really need to make the 150th anniversary very special and make it a year long celebration. Let's all keep a weather eye open on what the board is planning, and that it matches OUR expectations. We've got three years to get it right!

Damn right, dh1963.

Here’s another wee snippet that shows our club’s amazing history. I first heard this on the H&H podcast.

Tom Vallance, Rangers first captain, played for the club in the earliest days on Flesher’s Haugh. He was a guest of the club for the opening of the new Main Stand on 1 Jan 1929, when Rangers beat Celtic 3-0 in front of a 60,000 crowd.

After the match, Mr Vallance shook the hand of Bob McPhail - one of Rangers’ goal scorers that day.

On the 13th of Jan 1996, Ally McCoist’s goal in a 4-0 win against Raith Rovers broke Bob McPhail’s record of 230 league goals for Rangers, which had stood for over 50 years.

Mr McPhail - a guest of the club for that match - shook Ally McCoist’s hand after the game, to congratulate him on his achievement.

So, two handshakes between three men provide a physical link from the club’s earliest days from 1872 to the present day, 147 years later.
How can something as simple as this have you swelling with pride?

We really need to make the 150th anniversary very special and make it a year long celebration. Let's all keep a weather eye open on what the board is planning, and that it matches OUR expectations. We've got three years to get it right!
I think we need the club to tell us they’ve got everything in hand.
A committee set up for example, including representation from the foot soldiers.
I’m not asking for all the information, I’ll be hoping for some really nice surprises after all, just the knowledge that all is in hand.
From a business and marketing perspective, this could be the biggest event we’ve ever had.

The Celebration dinner at the Glasgow City Town Hall 6th December 1973, probably just before the rhats took over

4sb1j9.jpg

2rwxb8i.jpg

The Lord Provost in 1973, William Gray, I remember as being a celtc fan so that must have turned his stomach to be a part of that.

Previous LP's were more favourably inclined - Donald Liddell for example was LP in 1971, a regular attendee at Ibrox, and set up the Disaster Relief Fund.

The Lord Provost in 1973, William Gray, I remember as being a celtc fan so that must have turned his stomach to be a part of that.

Previous LP's were more favourably inclined - Donald Liddell for example was LP in 1971, a regular attendee at Ibrox, and set up the Disaster Relief Fund.

Gary would be the last Protestant Lord Provost of Glasgow for over 30 years.

Back