15/07/1996 - OTD Jorg Albertz Signs

I had never heard of him before he signed but it didn’t take long for him to become a hero.

I remember when i was at my Dads on a Saturday he used to get me to read the back pages out sometimes to practice my reading. Can still remember 9 year old me sitting on the kitchen worktop reading out about Albertz coming to Rangers from Hamburg. I remember at the time thinking "Hamburger". Probably why it's stuck in my head. Anyway, as someone else said, probably my favourite non British player apart from Laudrup to play for us.

He’s exactly the type of player I wish we had now. Struggling to break sides down? No probably, have a 30 yard corker. Add to that his penchant for making the difference in the biggest matches.

This is what I loved about him the most.

When you watch the video the OP posted his goals were, not only of the highest standard, but they were scored in some of the biggest matches we played back then.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

As said above, the type of player who would do so much for us currently.
A midfielder who will get double figures in goals every season - and a scorer of important goals as well.

Someone who can put their foot through the ball and hit it from 30 yards out when we are struggling against a deep, compact defence.

What a player. Would give anything to have a player like that in our side these days.

Surely one of our most popular players ever? Can't remember too many who were as universally loved by our fanbase than Albertz.

Have always wondered who scouted him or how he ended up with us. Had never heard of him but fantastic signing.

I may have dreamt / imagined it but convinced I’ve heard Daum mentioned. He wont hace been the ‘scout’ as such as he was Besiktas manager at the time, but convinced its been said he mentioned him to Walter. Possibly on the hammer video ?

Only behind Laudrup as my favourite foreign player. Loved every one of those thunder bast*rd shots, and he loved us to boot. Top bloke.

A giant of a footballer for us. Inspired signing by Walter who could win games with his shooting and passing ability. Another foreign player who quickly got what it was about to play for us.

I remember this wee odious Pape at work laughing when SDM was quoted that we had signed the hardest shot in Germany.
Didn’t laugh too much after that!

Someone I genuinely didn't fully appreciate until he was gone, and all we had to replace him was a shot to shit Nerlinger.

Big game player who delivered, treated poorly by the manager at the time.

Back