15 years ago today. The original and best Helicopter Sunday

dh1963

May 22nd 2005.
The most incredible ending to a season in my lifetime. And I was there.
Still regret not taking a ticket I was offered for my son, but that celebration as news broke that Motherwell had equalised will stay with me forever.

15 years, where does time go.

I was there as well.

To go from singing the season out watching a training session on the pitch to utter bedlam was unbelievable. Will never ever forget it.

A day no rangers fan will ever forget. Simply amazing going from a nothing game to hearing motherwell 1-1 then 2-1 and cue all of us going absolutely mental for the last few mins of the game. 15yrs though, where the hell does the time go!

I lived locally at the time. Couldn't get a ticket though. Stayed at home, couldn't watch! Checked scores saw they were winning. Heard a roar go up at Easter Road popped radio on , us one up. Decided to leave the radio on to hear us hopefully go on and score another 1 or 2 and at least do our job. I think I was cleaning the oven to take my mind off things when Mothwerwell scored. Stopped cleaning, telly went on, rest is history. What a day.

I was on a 16 Brigade level exercise and smashed my £9.99 wireless when Celtic scored at first. I switched my phone off to save the battery and switched it on again after the match....I knew we had it when messages started to flood through. I went to grab my rifle and do the whole celebratory Iraqi gunfire into the sky routine (even though it was loaded with blanks) then I thought nah I need the money to get up the road to Glasgow again and it ain’t worth the charge!!!

Am I right in thinking Setanta were showing both games ? Anyway I wasn’t watching and decided to turn tv on for last few minutes and when Motherwell got second I ran out into back garden screaming, next door neighbor (sheep fan) was lying sunbathing pretending to be asleep :))

What a day!

Couldn’t go to the game and had to work that day. Driving home thinking it was all over.

McDonald scores his first and I pull into the next street and just waited. Didn’t dare text my mates until it was over

Sitting praying by the side of the road and he scores again - I start dancing out the car in the middle of the street - folk must have thought I was nuts!

went out to celebrate that night. Nothing will ever top that

I lived locally at the time. Couldn't get a ticket though. Stayed at home, couldn't watch! Checked scores saw they were winning. Heard a roar go up at Easter Road popped radio on , us one up. Decided to leave the radio on to hear us hopefully go on and score another 1 or 2 and at least do our job. I think I was cleaning the oven to take my mind off things when Mothwerwell scored. Stopped cleaning, telly went on, rest is history. What a day.
e

Hee hee, I was hoovering the car to take my mind off outcome, had my Sony
mini radio and ear-buds (RadScot Reception faltering as I moved around)....abandoned hoover, didn't know if I should run to pub or stay still
with radio.... Neighbours thought I'd lost it. Unbelievable.

In subsequent years I've enjoyed McDonald's efforts that day over again as it became a bstard team employing a wee dirty bstard (against us) that stuffed
them that day.....almost as good as green on green kicking each other

Picked up a couple of tickets on here on the Thursday before

Such a surreal game that in the last 15 minutes or so both teams were quite happy to play out like a pre-season type game with us hoping something which would emerge from Fir Park and it did!

Way home was fun as there was an accident on the M8 and we went via Chapelhall and Coatbridge!

What a day!

Couldn’t go to the game and had to work that day. Driving home thinking it was all over.

McDonald scores his first and I pull into the next street and just waited. Didn’t dare text my mates until it was over

Sitting praying by the side of the road and he scores again - I start dancing out the car in the middle of the street - folk must have thought I was nuts!

went out to celebrate that night. Nothing will ever top that

:p See You! See Me #19 - :rolleyes:

What a day.

I’ll be honest I near missed it as I was about to leave the ground early then the cheer went up. What a surreal day

Watched it in a pub and when all bears started celebrating at Easter Road the barman turned over to the Motherwell game only for it to blue screen. Pub was deathly silent waiting to see what was happening. Eventually came on to see McDonalds 2nd. Fuckin pandemonium! Drinks everywhere. Tables knocked over. Everyone jumping about. Happy days!

:))
Watched it in a pub and when all bears started celebrating at Easter Road the barman turned over to the Motherwell game only for it to blue screen. Pub was deathly silent waiting to see what was happening. Eventually came on to see McDonalds 2nd. Fuckin pandemonium! Drinks everywhere. Tables knocked over. Everyone jumping about. Happy days!

Yep, Aragon, Byres Road for me. People dancing all over the road. Memorable day :)):D
:)):D

A pub in Gibraltar?

My wife's aunt has run a pub there for many years, and it has a picture of Ibrox on the wall ;)

Was on my way shopping with my new lady friend and her 10 year old daughter (both tims) and the wean was winding me up about her team going to win the league, her mum says to her behave and not speak to soon.

Came out the shops and put the car radio on and heard the news coming through and it wasn't long before she was telling me to behave myself in the car at the lights.
PS her daughters still a bitter wee bar steward.

I was laying flooring in a new house we had just got the keys for. I was down south but managed to get the game on 810 MW poor reception but could make it out. My small kids at the time were laughing their heads off at my antics and running around the empty house screaming like mad.

I was watching with my sons, all of us just standing in front of the tv throughout the game at Easter Road. When we scored I said ‘well we have done our best, can they hold on?’. With two minutes to go I got this strange feeling and turned to both sons. We all looked at each other, smiled and nodded as if to say ‘this is ours’. Within seconds the roar went up and we switched to see Terry Butcher with a huge grin on his face and Jim Hamilton jumping all over him. When the final whistle went I just burst into tears. My wife just shook her head and said ‘It’s only football’.

Went into my work to avoid the games and their expected celebrations , was the only guy in the office , that the internet bbc sport a good 1/2 hr after both games finished To get a wonderful surprise

Does anybody have a link to the Irn Bru helicopter vid thingy (Helicopter is changing direction)?

To my eternal shame, the truth is I didn't believe.
There's no shame in that mate, it was a lost cause. It's a good job Marv's on first name terms with the top man. Compare that joy to the joy of a celtic fan completing the "best ever" 9inarow. I've said it before on here but the joy you feel is directly proportionate to the pain they feel and it's the same the other way. That's why we all know that there is no joy for them this season, the pain is not there for us.

Back