15 years ago today. The original and best Helicopter Sunday

Was welling up whilst watching Facebook highlights earlier. Good times will return but that day is hard to beat

"All I can remember is Phil O'Donnell coming up to me, ripping the towel off my head and saying 'stuff them, it's about us, it's about you doing well for you'. Coming from a guy like that, who had played for Celtic, that was huge.

thought Phil was a "pyoor legend"? doesn't sound like he cared about them despite the fact we know what happened 3 years later :rolleyes:

Will never be beaten . A dagger to the hearts of every yahoo , they’ll never get over it .
NJTHZp3.jpg

:))

Day was off the scale but personally enjoyed the first (original) one better in 2003. Maybe the pressure of being in the driving seat and sheet and utter relief - especially after Advocaat's last couple of seasons.

Knocked back a ticket to go watch my younger brother play a cup final for his team. Mad dash back home to see rest of game. Got back home just as MacDonald scored the first out in the street celebrating with brother in law when my sister came running out to tell us they bastards are getting beat now.
Phoned my mate to see if he was going over to Ibrox for the celebrations. At first he told me to fùck off as he was sleeping. Told him to turn on TV. 5 mins later said mate was on phone nearly in tears. As people are saying a day that will love in the memory forever.

A day that will never be bettered in my lifetime. Their pain is still strong to this day.
Even my son told his newly wedded wife that it was always going to be the best day of his life. I don't think she believes him!

There was a very funny video at the time with images from both games to the song the Laughing Policeman. Does anybody remember it or have it? It doesn't seem to be on YT any more.

Is this full game being shown on BBC Scotland this evening or have the mentally challenged bastards changed it?

It still kills them when with winning so much trophies in the last few years they can’t bare to see it.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have some great days following my team but nothing will compare to this.

I had been working the night before at a function and didn't get into the back of 5. I'm not sure why but I thought it was a 3pm kickoff, so set my alarm accordingly woke up mulled about and then thought i'll give the 1st half hour a miss. Stuck on the tranny just as it was all unfolding :)):))

I was nightshift the night before and had no plans on getting up to watch it as I expected nonceco to beat Motherwell and win it.

My missus woke me up and told me Rangers have just won the League!

Phoned work 3 day sicky and went to the pub!

Tim on tim all over govanhill that night as well which was a nice wee Brucey bonus

Simply lovleh

Was round at my mates house who had setanta. Think they wanted you to pay extra for the Rangers game, so we just watched their game and had the radio on for the Rangers game.

Will never forget the last few minutes, bedlam when Motherwell equalised jumping up and down and roaring loudly the tims at the top of the street would have heard us never mind next door. I took this opportunity to go for a piss I’d been holding in for most of the second half and just as I started pissing I heard absolute bedlam downstairs, I’ve never forced a piss out that fast in my life. I think I took about 3 steps coming down the stairs and walked into the living room as McDonald was wheeling away after scoring the 2nd and absolute carnage ensured.

Sitting in the corner was my mates brothers frumpy, gommy-eyed 19th Century Terrorist ex girlfriend sitting with her face tripping her and demanding he took her home straight away. He probably got a doing off her that night.

What a day! WHAT A DAY!!!

Big Marvin's gonna get you :))
I was offered a ticket & I didn’t take one either. Big Marvin has us all covered. I still get goosebumps thinking about that day. One of the best of my life that I will never forget.

I remember watching the game in my living room in Donegal & going through our team & what we needed for next season & who we should keep & let go etc & McDonald scored the equaliser. I remember my body literally shaking & I was really afraid them cunts would score but when 2nd went in I nearly brought the house down. What a day.

I loved the fact that MON was fucking off that summer too.

Keep Believing!!

When motherwell equalised i disnt know what to do with myself adter the initial bedkam.I still had the fear that those cvnts would nick a winner and paced the pub and pavement outside for the last couple of minutes. Didnt realise til about half an hour after the games that motherwell won 2-1.

Is there any footage of the full tim game anywhere?

I'd love to watch the last 15mins in full as I've I only ever seen the two Motherwell goals in short clips.

I was there as well.

To go from singing the season out watching a training session on the pitch to utter bedlam was unbelievable. Will never ever forget it.
Remember Heading home on a dry ferry with mate later that night with a smuggled bottle of Morgan’s spiced from the neck. Torturing kenny shiels who was there watching dean play for hibs
Don’t remember getting home tho....

Sat at the terminus this morning watching it again the sheer joy of that day think it will only be bettered when 55 comes home:))

Some great memories from that day and I didn't even mind the very large hangover that I had on the Monday morning. I was also extremely fortunate enough to sit across from one of them at work and he had been at Fir Park. Hangover or not I would have crawled over hot coals to get into work that morning.

I was offered a ticket & I didn’t take one either. Big Marvin has us all covered. I still get goosebumps thinking about that day. One of the best of my life that I will never forget.

I remember watching the game in my living room in Donegal & going through our team & what we needed for next season & who we should keep & let go etc & McDonald scored the equaliser. I remember my body literally shaking & I was really afraid them cunts would score but when 2nd went in I nearly brought the house down. What a day.

I loved the fact that MON was fucking off that summer too.

Keep Believing!!

It's a JFK moment Russell :))

Every bear in the world can just shut their eyes & picture it.

One of THEE great days mate.

I'm sure you had lots of guys wanting to celebrate with you in Donegal ???? :eek:

Incredible day.

But, for me this was what motivated the plan to bury us. The EBT situation gave them a mechanism to make Ranger so toxic that nobody would touch us, other than someone with intent of destroying us from within.

They then filled Scottish football with their placemen and they have had the biggest spell of success in their history as a result of that.

Was 8 at the time & remember asking my dad after the game why he was so emotional, boy do I know why now fantastic day WATP
Mate, if you are who I think you are, then yes your dad was a blubbering wreck, as were the rest of us! what a day to be alive!

Met up with my gf (ex now of course) in Glasgow as she'd just finished work. Unfortunately I missed most of the first half. Got a taxi from the city centre to Kirkintilloch KRSC. On the way there, the driver told us "that lot are one up, 0-0 with the Rangers". Arrived at the supporters club just in time for the 2nd half starting. Few minutes later wee Novo to the rescue. Celebrations but slightly muted because for the moment it didn't make any difference. Time goes on and a general acceptance of "ah well, not to be, not our day, we'll do it next season" starts setting in, well there is only something like 2minutes to go after all. Watching the big screen, all of a sudden, 2 lassies on the far right start screaming and bouncing up and down! "THEY'VE SCORED! THEY'VE SCORED!" Everyone looking at each other in total bewilderment. Then it comes on the screen that the team in black have scored. Until we notice the green and grey. The club absolutely erupts! Then another goal. They've done it again! But I didn't know! I'm still too busy celebrating the 1st. I didn't know they got beat until later that that night.
Full time
The place is going absolutely berserk! Floods of tears, hugging each other, but still the general though of "what in the name of Christ has just happened? Is this real? is this a wind up? "

What a feeling! What a day!

My recollection. Was 17, playing last game of my teams season at Paisley Racecourse and my mum was driving me back to shawlands afterwards as the game was in its closing stages. Came off the M8 at Seaward St sitting at the lights at Shields Rd when Motherwell equslised. Went mental in the car, always remember looking across the other set of lights and seeing another Bear going equally mental.

Second Motherwell goal went in as were going through Pollokshields, just remember driving along Queens Drive by the top of Vicky Rd and seeing all the mentally challengeds spilling out of the pubs in govanhill absolutely stunned by what had just happened.

One of the best days in my life without doubt

It's a JFK moment Russell :))

Every bear in the world can just shut their eyes & picture it.

One of THEE great days mate.

I'm sure you had lots of guys wanting to celebrate with you in Donegal ???? :eek:
Yeah Grigio not many looking to celebrate with me other than family & a few of our men in our Loyal Bears of Donegal Supporters Club.

I’m sitting here still getting shivers down the spine think did it really happen. I 100% did not believe. My Mum still talks about big Marvin Andrews & how God was with us.

Will 55 be better?? I think & hope it will. Each day we live & breath makes that day a step closer. Hope you & the family are well & we are back to Ibrox soon.

Yeah Grigio not many looking to celebrate with me other than family & a few of our men in our Loyal Bears of Donegal Supporters Club.

I’m sitting here still getting shivers down the spine think did it really happen. I 100% did not believe. My Mum still talks about big Marvin Andrews & how God was with us.

Will 55 be better?? I think & hope it will. Each day we live & breath makes that day a step closer. Hope you & the family are well & we are back to Ibrox soon.

Brilliant Russell.

Behind enemy lines, as they say :)):))

I think we all probably thought Big Marvin was wrong but he became a legend that day. :cool:

The thought of 55 ? Undoubtedly the biggest ever for me, after all we’ve been through Russell, but after this season’s rollercoaster I’m trying to keep it out of my mind for now :))

Stay safe & well mate ;)

Strange emotions for me for that day!! My old dear was really sick and was rushed to hospital so I missed the game to be with her. I phoned my pall for an update just as Motherwell scored their second goal.
Seems odd saying it now but me and my old man were celebrating in the coffee shop in the hospital.
When I went back to tell my mum we had won her face lit up.
A lovely memory for many reasons - she passed a few weeks later

Brilliant Russell.

Behind enemy lines, as they say :)):))

I think we all probably thought Big Marvin was wrong but he became a legend that day. :cool:

The thought of 55 ? Undoubtedly the biggest ever for me, after all we’ve been through Russell, but after this season’s rollercoaster I’m trying to keep it out of my mind for now :))

Stay safe & well mate ;)
55 is in the Post... :)

Am I right in thinking Setanta were showing both games ? Anyway I wasn’t watching and decided to turn tv on for last few minutes and when Motherwell got second I ran out into back garden screaming, next door neighbor (sheep fan) was lying sunbathing pretending to be asleep :))
Yeah that's right, was flicking between both channels. Some day!!

I was watching my mates team at the battery park in gourock. I couldn’t face watching the game so just the radio on in my headphones. I remember when the goals went on I went mad. The game actually stopped and people were celebrating on the pitch. The ref was trying to get them to concentrate. Mental moment. It can’t be 15 years.

Back