16/17 Squad vs Current Squad

adidasler

Reflecting on this season, I am convinced we have moved on quite considerably and if we can finish strongly, next year should be better.

As far as the starting line-ups are concerned, if you look back a couple of years there are not many who would walk into this team:

Wes
Tav - Kiernan - Hill - Wallace
Holt - Halliday - Windass
McKay - Waghorn - Miller

Versus

McGregor
Tav -Goldson - Katic - Barasic
Jack - Arfield -Kamara
Candeias - Kent - Morelos

I could maybe make a case for a fit a and health Wallace or a peak Hill but everyone else is a downgrade.

Reflecting on this season, I am convinced we have moved on quite considerably and if we can finish strongly, next year should be better.

As far as the starting line-ups are concerned, if you look back a couple of years there are not many who would walk into this team:

Wes
Tav - Kiernan - Hill - Wallace
Holt - Halliday - Windass
McKay - Waghorn - Miller

Versus

McGregor
Tav -Goldson - Katic - Barasic
Jack - Arfield -Kamara
Candeias - Kent - Morelos

I could maybe make a case for a fit a and health Wallace or a peak Hill but everyone else is a downgrade.

And yet our point total isn't that much better this season, plus we actually did worse in the cups. Our current squad is massively underachieving domestically.

And yet our point total isn't that much better this season, plus we actually did worse in the cups. Our current squad is massively underachieving domestically.
Points total doesn't really mean much, the dynamic of the league changes every year with certain teams getting stronger etc.

Europe was better than I would have imagined and the nature of some of our domestic wins has been excellent.

This team has potential - the 16/17 one peaked and declined.

I’m not sure I get this? What are we saying, this team is better than one of our worst SPL sides ever?

No... That it is Immeasurably better in just 2 years! Too many on here who critisise because we dont have Laudrups or Gazzas, Gios or Ginos who seem to forget just how bad we were just a number weeks (not even years!) ago!

We're on a journey. They take some time

No... That it is Immeasurably better in just 2 years! Too many on here who critisise because we dont have Laudrups or Gazzas, Gios or Ginos who seem to forget just how bad we were just a number weeks (not even years!) ago!

We're on a journey. They take some time

It couldn’t not be immeasurably better than those jokers when we’ve now spent what 15/20m since?

It couldn’t not be immeasurably better than those jokers when we’ve now spent what 15/20m since?

I think anyone including money spent under Pedro knows themselves they are fudging the stats for their own gain.

Danny SweetCheeks aside that money was frittered more than a banana in a chinese restaurant!

I think anyone including money spent under Pedro knows themselves they are fudging the stats for their own gain.

Danny SweetCheeks aside that money was frittered more than a banana in a chinese restaurant!

On his big money signings yes. He still signed Jack, Morelos and Candeias who are in the current improved team though.

My point is, we're looking at how we’ve improved vs an absolutely shocking Rangers team. I don’t get why we’ve to be happy about that!

On his big money signings yes. He still signed Jack, Morelos and Candeias who are in the current improved team though.

My point is, we're looking at how we’ve improved vs an absolutely shocking Rangers team. I don’t get why we’ve to be happy about that!

The point is we HAVE improved. Despite regular threads claiming the contrary. We're still far from the finished article, but our manager has had a net spend of £9M and two transfer windows. Plus he has improved some of the players left over from the previous regime. There's work still to be done, I don't think anyone is denial about that.

I Forgot about Morelos... always give Jonatan the credit for that one though.

Plus jack was a freebie so didn't really count in that thinking of money spent.

The point is we HAVE improved. Despite regular threads claiming the contrary. We're still far from the finished article, but our manager has had a net spend of £9M and two transfer windows. Plus he has improved some of the players left over from the previous regime. There's work still to be done, I don't think anyone is denial about that.

Yeah I get that. Surely we’d review vs last season though, no?

As opposed to going back to a team with Rob Kiernan in it? *shudders*

I don’t think anyone is claiming we haven’t improved vs the 16/17 team, unless I’ve missed something?

Yeah I get that. Surely we’d review vs last season though, no?

As opposed to going back to a team with Rob Kiernan in it? *shudders*

I don’t think anyone is claiming we haven’t improved vs the 16/17 team, unless I’ve missed something?

Wait?! You DON'T think we've improved since the Pedeo team last year!?!?

Quick! Someone get attenborough on the phone! I think we've found a unique new species!

Wait?! You DON'T think we've improved since the Pedeo team last year!?!?

Quick! Someone get attenborough on the phone! I think we've found a unique new species!

I don’t think my post says that? I just think year on year is a fairer comparison that this year vs 16/17.

If you were to put a first 11 out of that selection I would say:
McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Barasic
Arfield Jack Windass
Candies Morelos Waghorn

I think it just shows the fact I really struggled with a decent midfielder! WE desperately need someone for there. Still think we let Waghorn and Windass go prematurely.

I'd take Waghorn over Candeias.

I'll stick my head on the block and say he would have got at least 10 goals this season playing wide right.

Kent at his best and McKay at his best is 6 and half a dozen.

The rest of the current side is far superior.

Back