1950's: Rangers on the Future of Floodlighting at Ibrox

Beer Belly Loyal

October 1951 Rangers played Arsenal at Highbury in a floodlit match for the first time.

The photo below is from that game.

gn378.png

This was Arsenal's 2nd floodlit match, the first a month earlier vs Hapoel Tel Aviv.

An article from Rangers match programme November 1952.

gn373.png

Stenhousemuir were already experimenting with floodlighting and invited Rangers over to play a game...

November 1952.

gn374.png

In December Rangers then played a series of games at Ibrox culminating in a match against Dumbarton FC for charities where fans were invited to attend...

gn375.png

gn376.png

1953 Rangers played Arsenal at Ibrox in a floodlit match for the first time.

The following photograph is generally considered to be from that very game...

gn379.png

Personally I find it difficult to accept this to be the case due to the lack of spectators, perhaps the photo is from the 'experimental' games mentioned earlier??? (note opposition strips, not Arsenal)

February 1954 Scottish Cup v Kilmarnock: Installed floodlighting at the time.

gn380.png

Most interesting (I almost said "illuminating" - sorry) but any idea why Hapoel Tel Aviv were the first opponents under lights?

Also had to smile at "technical illumination engineers" as it sounds like someone bigging up their role.

As a lad in the Sixties I'd boast to my Celtic supporting pals that our floodlights were "the best in the world" and unlike theirs weren't on tall pylons that planes could fly into. I was staunch then too, just didn't realise it!

First time I've seen any mention of 4 corner pylons. I knew there were pylons before the shed was extended but always thought the lights were in the main stand roof from the start.
Is there any truth in the story that we could not install high pylons due to Renfrew airport? I know that was true for Love St whi ch was nearer and in line with the runway

I think those first floodlights were also used to help bring Jim Baxter to Ibrox as they were included as part of the transfer deal with Raith Rovers.

I remember we played Eintracht in the early 60s,the first game under Hampdens floodlights.
Flood lights are taken for granted today. But do you remember if there was opposition to the new technology as it was being introduced? Change is never easy in football!
There are a lot of arguments against video technology being introduced in football today, but like flood lights I think this new technology will quickly become accepted as essential infrastructure for football to function.

Back