1960 European Cup Campaign

There was a joke back in the day and in the 2nd leg at Ibrox, Eintracht score and one wee German in the Rangers end celebrates the goal and then immediately shuts up what with being surrounded by bears.

A wee Rangers fan next to him says just celebrate, you're here to support your team. There's nothing wrong with that.

Eintracht score a 2nd, a 3rd a 4th, a 5th and finally when they score their 6th the wee Rangers fan whacks him across the napper with a bottle.

The bloodied and dazed German cries out; 'What was that for? You said it was okay to support my team.'

The wee Rangers fan says; 'That's not for the football, that was for bombing Clydebank during the war!'

Was probably funny at the time.
Sounds eerily similar to how a tall tale from a certain discredited journalist went when finding himself in the ‘wrong’ end surrounded by opposing fans

78/79 was the missed opportunity. Having beaten Juventus and PSV Eindhoven we were drawn to play Cologne in the quarter final. Derek Johnstone missed the first leg in Germany because of a horrible leg gash requiring many stitches suffered the previous week at Rugby Park. Billy Urquhart, a boy just signed from the Highland League replaced him. Gordon Smith hit the side netting when through one-on-one to the goalkeeper and having gone past the keeper. We lost 1-0 to a free-kick. We battered them at Ibrox but their goal had a charmed life. We drew 1-1. Cologne should have beat Nottingham Forest in the semi having drawn 3-3 in Nottingham. I think we would have beaten Forest and Malmo in the final.
But 87/88 was also a massive opportunity. Had Butcher not broke his leg we would have beaten Steaua. The final, a dreadful game between two average sides PSV and Benfica, was decided on a penalty shoot-out.

This is a little typical of the leaps and stretches people perform to convince themselves of something they just really want to believe in.

I’ve seen many on here determinedly insisting we’d have beaten Milan had we reached the final in ‘93. That would be the same Milan who’d won all ten of their matches in the competition up until the final with the loss of just one solitary goal.

‘79 is another.

We were already in decline by then and had performed brilliantly to get to the quarters, but Cologne were no slouches and I think deservedly dogged winners over the two legs in that infuriatingly efficient way German sides tend to be. The idea that we would have then beaten a great Nottingham Forest side in the semi or final looks fanciful to me too.

We might have done, but as with Milan, we’d have certainly started as considerable underdogs.

Ditto Steaua in ‘87/88. They actually beat us reasonably comfortably over two legs, but then lost to Benfica, who in turn lost to PSV.

We weren’t performing well domestically and it’s way too much of a stretch for me to believe that we could have suddenly elevated our game to the levels needed to beat sides of the calibre of Benfica and PSV and won the cup.

As sad as it is, we’ve simply never been good enough.

I don’t imagine a person of Baxter’s lifestyle with a serious injury coping too well. Especially in those days were sports science was virtually non existent. Am I correct in saying inter put us out 3-2 ?.

Oh I don’t know about Slim Jim not coping too well. If you read one of his books, the plaster hadn’t set and he’d got his Nat King!!!!

Ditto Steaua in ‘87/88. They actually beat us reasonably comfortably over two legs, but then lost to Benfica, who in turn lost to PSV.
I played football with a Romanian guy and I got speaking to his Dad one day, who I think was either a Dinamo or Rapid fan, and he reckoned that Steaua side was better than the one that won it in 86, mainly because they had Hagi in 87/88.

Inter Reserves in the 1967 Final. The scum were knocked out in the first round the following year in 1968, I believe ?
Even then they were complaining at the unfairness of it
I'm pretty sure their chairman Bob Kelly,maintained that Kiev should'nt have been in the competition,due to Russia's invasion of Czechoslovakia.

I was still in primary school at the time but I recall my Da' being pissed that we lost by so many goals to Frankfurt more than anything. Hearts were giving us a real challenge domestically around that time, and we were struggling in the league that season, so I think most supporters were more concerned with that. It was only when we got to our first European final the following year I remember there being much interest in Europe at all, and even then they seemed more like glamour friendlies. I remember we beat some excellent teams that season, including a German team by around the same aggregate Frankfurt had beat us by. However, the important competition was still the league. I don't think we took Europe very seriously for the first decade of its existence. The continentals saw it as much more important than British sides in the early days.

Back