1960 Real Madrid -GOAT Club Teams?

I think that the Barca team at the height of their Tiki-Taka might’ve given them a game - in saying that, other than the Hampden Final I’ve never seen anything more of that Madrid side.

I think that the Barca team at the height of their Tiki-Taka might’ve given them a game - in saying that, other than the Hampden Final I’ve never seen anything more of that Madrid side.
I would agree, peak Barca were incredible, nobody knew what to do with them for about 5 years. Having said that, that Madrid team of the 60s was a bit before my time.

It’s impossible to compare teams from different eras given how much the game has changed.

it’s much quicker, more technical, and played by athletes in comparison to the past.

it’s difficult enough to compare the great players of today with guys from Maradona’s era never mind teams from 60 years ago.

Can’t argue with this
However remember they beat a very good Eintracht team 7 - 3
Eintracht beat a pretty good Rangers team in the semi 12 - 4 over two legs!

It’s impossible to compare teams from different eras given how much the game has changed.

it’s much quicker, more technical, and played by athletes in comparison to the past.

it’s difficult enough to compare the great players of today with guys from Maradona’s era never mind teams from 60 years ago.
Cannot emphasise how much I agree. Incomparable technical level and tempo was so different. Pitches, sports science and just more training these days etc. To answer OP my favourite team of my life time is the Milan 03-07 team

I’m with you guys that say comparing teams from different eras is impossible.
I’ll stick to Rangers examples for this but the same, for me, would apply to any team.
This’ll go down well but here goes.
I don’t think the Jim Baxters or Willie Hendersons of yesteryear would stand a chance today.
I’m not saying this is a good thing though.
It’s a different game these days where the attributes required for success are different.

I’ll give you all a wee chuckle on this topic.
A similar discussion at a family event recently and the moronic tim amongst us suggested Septic’s 1967 team were the best of the lot.
It was there style of play that the Dutch used to base their “total football” concept on.
I don’t often say “deluded” but it’s very apt here.
I argued back that the current septic team would probably beat the 67 lot.
You know what he inferred from that?
He answered “I don’t think we’d win it but I agree we’ll be up there”.
This was last summer!
I was feckin speechless.
Our side of the family were in hysterics though.

You cant really tell. Different times, different game. 5 European cups in a row when the competition was in its infancy and some countries didnt compete.

The great Milan side which boasted Maldini, Baresi, Rijkaard, Donadoni, Ancelloti, Gullit and Van Basten.

Wonderful players in every area of the field, rock solid at the back, steely and creative in midfield with devastating options up front.

Their 5 nil demolition of Real Madrid in a European Cup semi final was extraordinary.

Bayern 2012-13 were the best individual side I’ve seen. Ruthless. Maybe not as memorable as others mentioned because they only stuck to that level for one year.

We look at it the wrong way when we say players are now faster and fitter and the game more technical.
That's all true, but it doesn't mean modern players are automatically better.

I prefer to think of it as how good would past greats be if they had better diets, better sports science, more professional approach and massive salaries they could earn. A Puskas, a Best, a Morton, a Matthews, a Baxter would still be a superstar today as they would have come through into the only game they knew, and adapted their lives accordingly.

Great footballers are great footballers.

Messi on a mud heap, in heavy boots, with a big heavy leather ball and being kicked senseless would still have been the best, but he might have smoked like a chimney like the rest!

Can’t argue with this
However remember they beat a very good Eintracht beat a pretty good Rangers team in the semi 12 - 4 over two legs!
Great game, great teams, great players in that era but come on when you look at some of the defending in that 7-3 game it bordered on comical. Imagine the Eintracht Frankfurt forums after that game. The modern game is so much faster, fitter, more technical etc etc
Barcelona in there prime years by a mile for me.However it is a discussion that you will never get anyone agreeing on.

I’m with you guys that say comparing teams from different eras is impossible.
I’ll stick to Rangers examples for this but the same, for me, would apply to any team.
This’ll go down well but here goes.
I don’t think the Jim Baxters or Willie Hendersons of yesteryear would stand a chance today.
I’m not saying this is a good thing though.
It’s a different game these days where the attributes required for success are different.
Not getting into an argument respect your point,but in reverse Messi, Ronaldo etc wouldn't stand the tackles ,pitches or even the balls back then,honestly don't think you can fairly judge any era to another,I was 8 and saw eintracht Frankfurt destroy a fabulous rangers team at Ibrox,then I was priveleged and in awe a few weeks later to,watch a team of magicians in white destroy Eintracht Frankfurt,your Messi's El tal can't take that away from me!

Not getting into an argument respect your point,but in reverse Messi, Ronaldo etc wouldn't stand the tackles ,pitches or even the balls back then,honestly don't think you can fairly judge any era to another,I was 8 and saw eintracht Frankfurt destroy a fabulous rangers team at Ibrox,then I was priveleged and in awe a few weeks later to,watch a team of magicians in white destroy Eintracht Frankfurt,your Messi's El tal can't take that away from me!
Not really one fot arguing about.
There will always be exceptions anyway.
For example, I don’t think Law would’ve scored the goals he did but Greaves and Gilzean might have.
I should say though that I’m just too young to know how good these players were, relying solely on what my elders used to say.

Six European cups in the sixties was phenominal, Shame the team had disbanded before 67.

Denis Law was probably the greatest header of a ball of his time, if his head got to a ball his accuracy was second to none, he could leap further and higher and his head was like a whiplash. He would probably be the same in the modern game, plenty goals are scored by the head. Modern players would probably supply more chances. He'd take them.

I still think if there had been a European Cup in the 1920s and 1930s Rangers would have been multiple winners.
I got talking to a Gunners fan whilst on holiday years ago and said something very similar to him. He actually had a very similar opinion about the Arsenal team of the 1930s. We ended up agreeing that between us, we would have dominated European football at that time.

I got talking to a Gunners fan whilst on holiday years ago and said something very similar to him. He actually had a very similar opinion about the Arsenal team of the 1930s. We ended up agreeing that between us, we would have dominated European football at that time.

I agree we were better than them :))

Not really one fot arguing about.
There will always be exceptions anyway.
For example, I don’t think Law would’ve scored the goals he did but Greaves and Gilzean might have.
I should say though that I’m just too young to know how good these players were, relying solely on what my elders used to say.
Yep young yin it's all ifs and buts I had to suffer watching those tramps winning 9iar and EC,and the galling thing was we had a good team then also,then delight when we won 9iar,but in the late 50/60's,70's the tackling in football was nothing like today,that's what makes me think lots of class players today wouldn't have sustained it,but yet again all ifs and buts,think we will agree tho WATP!

I’ll give you all a wee chuckle on this topic.
A similar discussion at a family event recently and the moronic tim amongst us suggested Septic’s 1967 team were the best of the lot.
It was there style of play that the Dutch used to base their “total football” concept on.
I don’t often say “deluded” but it’s very apt here.
I argued back that the current septic team would probably beat the 67 lot.
You know what he inferred from that?
He answered “I don’t think we’d win it but I agree we’ll be up there”.
This was last summer!
I was feckin speechless.
Our side of the family were in hysterics though.
Was that the year PSG scuffed them12-1 on aggregate,(or was it13-1),not deluded,just plain f...g stupid

Back