1963 Scottish Cup Final

xo34tv.jpg

Should have been 6 or 7 in that replay,Baxter and MacMillan tore them apart, Tims left at HT
My best memory of the replay,was the amount of bears in the Celtic end.was very noticeable,as all the time were long gone

Check out the bird in the first game with the headscarf and her rollers in, maybe going straight out after the game ?

Yeah I noticed that. I suppose she'd be going to the Saturday night dancing.
My mother-in-law has quite a collection of documentaries and kitchen sink dramas from the late 50's and early 60's. It was very normal for women to have rollers in during the day, and carry on with their business, in preparation for a night out :D.

I was at both games, replay in the selic end.
I too was at both games and we were easily the best team in both of them. I heard the older guys at the time implying that maybe it was something that suited both clubs as they would double their take!o_O

W.A.T.P.

I too was at both games and we were easily the best team in both of them. I heard the older guys at the time implying that maybe it was something that suited both clubs as they would double their take!o_O

W.A.T.P.

Ultimately it probably did suit both teams financially, however reading match reports, online, it appears that their keeper Haffey had a brilliant game. Actually he apparently played well in the replay.

Something not widely remembered about the first game is that that mob could not sell all of their tickets and a sizeable group of our supporters watched the game in their end.

My best memory of the replay,was the amount of bears in the Celtic end.was very noticeable,as all the time were long gone

I am quite positive it was the first game that our supporters were in their end. The first game was all ticket and they could not sell their allocation. The replay was pay at the gate. I remember hearing of quite a few Bears in our area who could only get tickets for their end.

Why mate?

Cracking footage of the replay :cool:
Locked out of the Rangers end, police say'swe will take you to their end and protect you, we believed them too,soon as we were in they F----d Off, I dont have to say what came down on us, back then, screwtaps and all.

Locked out of the Rangers end, police say'swe will take you to their end and protect you, we believed them too,soon as we were in they F----d Off, I dont have to say what came down on us, back then, screwtaps and all.

Surely not. I've been told that back then the polis were all Rangers supporting orangemen who victimised catholics.

Ultimately it probably did suit both teams financially, however reading match reports, online, it appears that their keeper Haffey had a brilliant game. Actually he apparently played well in the replay.

Trying to remember but I think you're right about Frank Haffey, who, incidentally grew up next to Ibrox, did perform well but you can't beat a good conspiracy!

W.A.T.P.

Yeah I noticed that. I suppose she'd be going to the Saturday night dancing.
My mother-in-law has quite a collection of documentaries and kitchen sink dramas from the late 50's and early 60's. It was very normal for women to have rollers in during the day, and carry on with their business, in preparation for a night out :D.

If you visit Liverpool these days it is very common to see young girls out shopping on a Saturday while wearing rollers in preparation for a night out.

Trying to remember but I think you're right about Frank Haffey, who, incidentally grew up next to Ibrox, did perform well but you can't beat a good conspiracy!

W.A.T.P.

We all love a good conspiracy ;)
The only thing I really knew about Haffey was that he was Scotland's goalkeeper when England won 9-3. That led me to think he was a bit of a haddy, however I've now read that he was pretty decent. He still lost aga inst us which is all that matters.

Fuck that bud, Closest I've been to them was at the fence of the North Enclosure for the 86 LCF, god only knows what it'd have been like in 63 :eek:

Only stumbled across this thread today. The clip does not show it clearly but at our third, I think Ralph Brand’s shot squirmed beneath Haffey. He didn’t look too great at Davie Wilson’s goal either (thankfully).

What I remember was how massive this game was and the media frenzy for about a week before the game as this was the first old firm Scottish cup final for 35 years. There was no radio commentary for the replay,they covered the spurs athletico Madrid cup winners cup final. Only found out the result when sportsnight (England) went to Hampden live for the cup presentation and this 13 year old started doing cartwheels.

I still laugh at my sceptical reaction when my wife came in from work and said a workmate’s brother’s girl friend worked at Selic Park and could get me two Stand tickets for the first game. The laugh was on me when I got them for rowA main stand.
Was back among the bears in the north enclosure for the replay, what a night.

Back