1967–68 Season

I was at Cappielow that night and can still feel the disappointment from that result, it was a real sickener :(
Another memory from that night was how packed Cappielow was and afterwards the road heading east out of Greenock was like a car park, and Bears we’re leaving their cars to get autographs when they spotted Orjan Persson in one of the queuing cars :)

Can’t remember though if I went to school the next morning :)

Commented on this earlier in the thread. I had only just turned 8 and I'm pretty sure my feet never touched the ground as we left Cappielow that night!!

Another edilible image of the photo taken behind the goal ……did Iam McFaul Newcastle goalie not save it or did it hit the bar?

Vague recollection of this.

Either way we missed it!

Is that not the famous penalty that Penman missed twice?

I thought the story was that the keeper saved it, but moved before it was kicked and the ref ordered a retake

Penman then put the retake past the post.

As it was 24 years before I was born I'm possibly totally wrong, but I thought I'd heard that story.

We gifted them a goal of a start in 2 mins and then ran them ragged for the next 42 minutes, only to gift them 2 howlers on half-time, ending it as a contest. And it was experienced players who cost us. John Greig said his mistake for one of the goals was his most embarrassing moment in football. I think Davie White was right up against it from that moment on. A real shame.

Agreed. Sat in the old north stand at the 69 final and watched the crowd sway below me 134,000 I'm pretty sure.

We did run them ragged prior to the 2 howlers before half time. Still feel sick when i think back to watching them celebrate at half time. The day my hatred of them was born:(

We gifted them a goal of a start in 2 mins and then ran them ragged for the next 42 minutes, only to gift them 2 howlers on half-time, ending it as a contest. And it was experienced players who cost us. John Greig said his mistake for one of the goals was his most embarrassing moment in football. I think Davie White was right up against it from that moment on. A real shame.

Agreed. Sat in the old north stand at the 69 final and watched the crowd sway below me 134,000 I'm pretty sure.

We did run them ragged prior to the 2 howlers before half time. Still feel sick when i think back to watching them celebrate at half time. The day my hatred of them was born:(

Back to the 67-68 season..... I remember coming back home after playing football at a local park to learn that Aberdeen had won 3-2. I cried my eyes out in my bedroom for the next hour. Amazing how the love affair that I have had for over fifty years was so strong even as an eight year old

Was this the season we played that team from ‘jug of of saliva’ the old yugoslavia … were they not Vojvodin…something or other … anyway thought we beat them home and away. Think ‘Bud’ scored in either home or away.

Maybe both!
Vojvodina 1st round 2-0 home win , lost return 1-0.

Orjan Persson also scored in the Raith 10-2 win with a peach of a scissor kick from outside the box.That was my lasting memory of that game even though Fergie scored a hat trick.

I remember walking up Byres Road after the 10-2 match wearing my Rangers scarf and rosette when a man asked me what the score was. When I said 10-2 for Rangers he called me a lying wee bassa :) :)

Last edited:
I remember,as an 8 year old,being at the Newcastle home leg.
The stand out memory being Andy Penman missing an early penalty.

I remember the penalty miss, but one of my other memories from the Newcastle match was Alan Foggon standing on the touch line in front of the old derry, with his back to the fans, and his right hand and arm up his back giving us all the vicky- brave man :) :)

Scot Symon survived the 7-1 defeat in 57 and led us to multiple domestic honours and 2 European finals in the next 10 years.

Sadly there probably isn't anyone on here that was there in '57, but it would be interesting to know what the fan's and board reaction was at the time towards the manager.

Believe it or not there is. I remember him commenting on it a few weeks ago.

Is that not the famous penalty that Penman missed twice?

I thought the story was that the keeper saved it, but moved before it was kicked and the ref ordered a retake

Penman then put the retake past the post.

As it was 24 years before I was born I'm possibly totally wrong, but I thought I'd heard that story.

I remember the penalty miss, but one of my other memories from the Newcastle match was Alan Foggon standing on the touch line in front of the old derry, with his back to the fans, and his right hand and arm up his back giving us all the vicky- brave man :) :)

MearnsUnionist - McFaul saved it low down to his left. Penman put it exactly in the same spot as the one that Ronnie Simpson saved from him in the League Cup tie back in 1967. McFaul had obviously done his homework on Penman penalties.

David Smith - I was in the Derry that night and there was a charge down the terracing to get at Foggan. My memory of it was that when the game had stopped for a few seconds, he looked at the Derry with a smile on his face, then turned and put both hands behind his head with his fingers giving us the 'V' and then turned and smiled again before removing himself from harms way.

MearnsUnionist - McFaul saved it low down to his left. Penman put it exactly in the same spot as the one that Ronnie Simpson saved from him in the League Cup tie back in 1967. McFaul had obviously done his homework on Penman penalties.

David Smith - I was in the Derry that night and there was a charge down the terracing to get at Foggan. My memory of it was that when the game had stopped for a few seconds, he looked at the Derry with a smile on his face, then turned and put both hands behind his head with his fingers giving us the 'V' and then turned and smiled again before removing himself from harms way.
I remember the headlines the save that broke my heart, McFauls penalty save, I think he might have been from the Shankill.
Newcastle had a big support that night, probably the best away support I have ever seen at Ibrox apart from the obvious

There was another sting in the tale in the spring of 1968.

In the March Rangers had an enormous pile of fixtures mounting up.

For instance

Sat March 2nd v St Johnstone (League)
Mon March 4th v Dundee (SC 2nd rd replay)
Wed 6th March v Dunfermline (League)
Sat March 9th v Hearts (SC 3rd rd)
Wed March 13th v Hearts (SC 3rd rd replay)

However, which way you look at it, it was a pretty hectic schedule.

Around this time the filth approached the Glasgow FA (not the SFA) for them to rearrange/demanded an outstanding Glasgow Cup tie between us and them to be played.

Quite rightly Rangers told them to feck off as they had no available days in which to play.

The filth as is their wont, claimed Rangers backed out of the tie. (Shat 1t)

But for the younger readers, guess who the President of the Glasgow FA was?

The chairman of the filth, Bob Kelly.

When that rhat Kerrins slithered out of his mother, the most corrupt and despicable organisation in sport was born.

Liewell is merely keeping up the legacy.

David Smith - I was in the Derry that night and there was a charge down the terracing to get at Foggan. My memory of it was that when the game had stopped for a few seconds, he looked at the Derry with a smile on his face, then turned and put both hands behind his head with his fingers giving us the 'V' and then turned and smiled again before removing himself from harms way.[/Q

Penman was still on penalty duties after that League Cup miss!

Dear… dear

How many did Andy score ……against the great unwashed

Last edited:

For instance

Around this time the filth approached the Glasgow FA (not the SFA) for them to rearrange/demanded an outstanding Glasgow Cup tie between us and them to be played.

Quite rightly Rangers told them to feck off as they had no available days in which to play.

When that rhat Kerrins slithered out of his mother, the most corrupt and despicable organisation in sport was born.

Oh come on!!! The 3rd and 5 th of March were free.:D

Reactions: ao2

For instance

The scum of 2008 had long memories mate. A rancid club from the very start, and one that has the bare-faced cheek to always take the moral high ground :mad:

Andy Penman penalty miss v Newcastle. McFaul dived to right to save.
Penalty miss v Celtic Simpson saved diving to his left.
John Greig missed a penalty in the previous round v Athletic Bilbao at the same end. His kick went over the bar
image.php

John Greig missed a penalty in the previous round v Athletic Bilbao at the same end. His kick went over the bar
image.php

Sign of my advancing age. I could have sworn it was to his left. He hit both of them low and they were well within the keeper's reach both times. I could never understand why Penman did not simply crash them on both occasions as he had a thunderous shot.

You're spot on mate,as that's where I was standing that night,behind the goal in the West terracing. McFaul dived low to his right,and pushed Penman's spot kick round the post.
I remember walking up Byres Road after the 10-2 match wearing my Rangers scarf and rosette when a man asked me what the score was. When I said 10-2 for Rangers he called me a lying wee bassa :) :)

The other thing apart from the 10 goals that day,was the weather.
It must have been minus 6 degrees,I remember wee fires being lit in the terraces to keep warm.

image.php

Just after that penalty save McFaul pulled off a great save from a long-range shot from Penman again. He more than any other player ensured Newcastle got the result they wanted. He was a Rangers supporter from Belfast too I believe:

16hvzp.jpg

John Greig's penalty miss v Bilbao:

k4i5mo.jpg

Back