94168 at Ibrox for LC game
74991 at Parkhead for LC game
87595 at Ibrox for L game
73480 at Parkhead for L game

Others

53133 at Ibrox for LC game v Dundee United
48518 at Ibrox for LC game v Aberdeen
57521 at Ibrox for SC game v Hearts
44094 at Tynecastle for SC Replay v Hearts.
85113 at Ibrox for ICFC game v Leeds

Attendance v Aberdeen for final game 35814?

Never see their like again.

Reactions: ao2
Attendances v Celtic for 67/68

Others

The punters are still out there.

It is the club who don't seem to want them.

They certainly don't fight on their behalf.

The season and the disappointment from it still lingers strongly in this older Bear's mind. The 3-3 draw in the midweek at Cappielow, where we opened the door for them to go in front of us on goal difference....

I was at Cappielow that night and can still feel the disappointment from that result, it was a real sickener :(
Another memory from that night was how packed Cappielow was and afterwards the road heading east out of Greenock was like a car park, and Bears we’re leaving their cars to get autographs when they spotted Orjan Persson in one of the queuing cars :)

Can’t remember though if I went to school the next morning :)

Saturday night, even when we had been at the game, was always me and my old man.

My ma and wee bruv were in the living room watching The Two Ronnies. Me and my da were in the kitchen and he would be telling me about the Rangers teams when he was growing up; the iron curtain defence, and Willie Thornton, his childhood idol.

And mostly Baxter, Baxter, Baxter.

Now we're getting into the early to mid 70s here, when Jock Wallace was coming into his own and my old man maintained even then, if Davie White had won a trophy in the late 60s, he'd still have been the manager at that point.

Because of circumstances, Davie White, possibly the hardest done by manager, most unfortunate, we've ever had.

He was up against Stein and did not too bad considering. He just needed that one trophy and others would have come. Unfortunately in the Glasgow goldfish bowl you don't get the time when the other lot are doing so well. He was a real gent Davie White and never said a bad word against us till the day he died, still going to Ibrox to the end.

I wish I could see his goal against Hearts in the Scottish Cup at Ibrox that season. Apparently it had to be seen to be believed.

I was behind the goal at the Broomloan end, when Orjan’s scissor kick appeared to curve round the 18 yard box in slow motion before beating Jim Cruikshank in his top left hand corner.
Unbelievable goal.
Unfortunately we lost the replay at Tynecastle the following Wednesday.

Attendances v Celtic for 67/68

Others

I'm pretty sure that attendance v Leeds was a record for the Fairs Cup up to that time, finals included. Those attendances v the scum are mind blowing.

I was behind the goal at the Broomloan end, when Orjan’s scissor kick appeared to curve round the 18 yard box in slow motion before beating Jim Cruikshank in his top left hand corner.
Unbelievable goal.
Unfortunately we lost the replay at Tynecastle the following Wednesday.

A really late goal I think, with Erik Sorensen taking much of the blame?

Hear
I wish I could see his goal against Hearts in the Scottish Cup at Ibrox that season. Apparently it had to be seen to be believed.[/QUOTE
Hearts cup game was 4th home game in a week.
Played St Johnstone Saturday .
Dundee cup replay Monday night.Extra time if I remember.
Dunfermline league Wednesday.
Hearts cup Saturday.
Over 150 thousand at the 4 games

He was up against Stein and did not too bad considering. He just needed that one trophy and others would have come. Unfortunately in the Glasgow goldfish bowl you don't get the time when the other lot are doing so well. He was a real gent Davie White and never said a bad word against us till the day he died, still going to Ibrox to the end.

In that niar era, he was the only Rangers manager who had a better head to head league record v ba face.

A really late goal I think, with Erik Sorensen taking much of the blame?

I was there that night. I don't recall Sorensen being to blame. Donald Ford was given far too much time to run at our defence unchallenged before hitting a decent shot along the ground from just inside the box into our net. Given how late in the game the goal came there was not enough time for us to get an equaliser.

In that niar era, he was the only Rangers manager who had a better head to head league record v ba face.

The 1969 cup final is the first final I have any memory of. My dad went to the game and he was really confident we would win it. That horror show probably played a big part in White getting no patience when he started the next season badly.

The 1969 cup final is the first final I have any memory of. My dad went to the game and he was really confident we would win it. That horror show probably played a big part in White getting no patience when he started the next season badly.

How much would you guys say the loss of Stein affected us for that final?

We gifted them a goal of a start in 2 mins and then ran them ragged for the next 42 minutes, only to gift them 2 howlers on half-time, ending it as a contest. And it was experienced players who cost us. John Greig said his mistake for one of the goals was his most embarrassing moment in football. I think Davie White was right up against it from that moment on. A real shame.

I was just a nipper, but Colin Stein was the Scotland centre forward and the best striker in the country. It was an absolute scandal the suspension he got, nothing short of corrupt.

They made sure his suspension ran to the day after any potential replay. The fact the scum chairman Kelly was also head man of the SFA was of course pure coincidence, as was the selection of the piggery and Hampden for the semis over Ibrox, with the scum getting Hampden despite us having the more attractive game. The present corrupt set-up is nothing new!

We gifted them a goal of a start in 2 mins and then ran them ragged for the next 42 minutes, only to gift them 2 howlers on half-time, ending it as a contest. And it was experienced players who cost us. John Greig said his mistake for one of the goals was his most embarrassing moment in football. I think Davie White was right up against it from that moment on. A real shame.

His suspension may have cost us the league also that season & their chairman Kelly was on the panel that handed out the ban................42 days I think which meant he missed the last part of the season.....sporting integrity my arse......................great thread btw with fantastic footage & pictures.....bringing back a lot of memories..............

His suspension may have cost us the league also that season & their chairman Kelly was on the panel that handed out the ban................42 days I think which meant he missed the last part of the season.....sporting integrity my arse......................great thread btw with fantastic footage & pictures.....bringing back a lot of memories..............

Corrupt then, corrupt now. Sporting integrity my arse.

I have a vivid recollection of the aftermath of the Aberdeen 2-3 match. There was an extremely hostile atmosphere and on the supporters bus I was on it was directly aimed at John Lawrence. I was pretty young at the time and probably didn't even know who John Lawrence was but the anger toward him that day remains in my memory . The other vivid memory from that season is Orjan Persson's goal direct from a corner kick ( V Stirling ) at a very wet Ibrox huddled under the cover at the Copland Road end. I think a recent fire had reduced the covered area at that time.

I was just a nipper, but Colin Stein was the Scotland centre forward and the best striker in the country. It was an absolute scandal the suspension he got, nothing short of corrupt.

When you consider that back then you were suspended for weeks not matched and the suspension would have included any replay should one have been necessary then it was beyond corrupt. Was it a 9 week ban?
Sorry just read 6 weeks.

It's not fuukin changed tae this day.

Only now it's nearly all beadrattlers in most positions.

1967/68 was also the season when the scum tried to force us to play a Glasgow Cup SF against them in the middle of a run of League, Scottish Cup and Fairs Cup matches that would have meant playing 3 games in a week. When Rangers withdrew from what was by that stage a meaningless local competition they accused us of being afraid of them. The 2008 stitch-up was trialled in 1968 - and there were no tours of Japan lined up back then.

1967/68 was also the season when the scum tried to force us to play a Glasgow Cup SF against them in the middle of a run of League, Scottish Cup and Fairs Cup matches that would have meant playing 3 games in a week. When Rangers withdrew from what was by that stage a meaningless local competition they accused us of being afraid of them. The 2008 stitch-up was trialled in 1968 - and there were no tours of Japan lined up back then.
As I said in earlier post we played 4 games in March that year.

They made sure his suspension ran to the day after any potential replay. The fact the scum chairman Kelly was also head man of the SFA was of course pure coincidence, as was the selection of the piggery and Hampden for the semis over Ibrox, with the scum getting Hampden despite us having the more attractive game. The present corrupt set-up is nothing new!
MMS
His suspension may have cost us the league also that season & their chairman Kelly was on the panel that handed out the ban................42 days I think which meant he missed the last part of the season.....sporting integrity my arse……

The more things change……the more they stay the same……

I remember,as an 8 year old,being at the Newcastle home leg.
The stand out memory being Andy Penman missing an early penalty.
Leeds home game in 68 my 1st European game, also at beam back game at Ibrox with 48 thousand..
The following season vivid memories of all home games in Europe , including Andy Penman penalty miss v Newcastle.
Colin Stein signed just before Dundalk games , 8 goals in 1st 3 games.

Leeds home game in 68 my 1st European game, also at beam back game at Ibrox with 48 thousand..
The following season vivid memories of all home games in Europe , including Andy Penman penalty miss v Newcastle.
Colin Stein signed just before Dundalk games , 8 goals in 1st 3 games.

Was this the season we played that team from ‘jug of of saliva’ the old yugoslavia … were they not Vojvodin…something or other … anyway thought we beat them home and away. Think ‘Bud’ scored in either home or away.

Maybe both!

Last edited:
Another edilible image of the photo taken behind the goal ……did Iam McFaul Newcastle goalie not save it or did it hit the bar?

Vague recollection of this.

Either way we missed it![/QUOTE)

You're spot on mate,that's where I was stood that night,on the West terracing behind the goal.
McFaul dived low to his right and pushed the kick round the post.

Was this the season we played that team from ‘jug of of saliva’ the old yugoslavia … were they not Vojvodin…something or other … anyway thought we beat them home and away. Think ‘Bud’ scored in either home or away.

Maybe both!

You're spot on mate,as that's where I was standing that night,behind the goal in the West terracing. McFaul dived low to his right,and pushed Penman's spot kick round the post.

Another edilible image of the photo taken behind the goal ……did Iam McFaul Newcastle goalie not save it or did it hit the bar?

Vague recollection of this.

Either way we missed it!

You're spot on mate,as that's where I was standing that night,behind the goal in the west terracing.
McFaul dived low to his right and pushed Penman's spot kick round the post.

I moved back to Scotland right after the season finished.

68-69 was my first season attending Ibrox with my dad and getting lifted over turnstiles aged 5
68-69 was my first season as well. First ever game was a 2-1 home win against Falkirk in September 1968.

Rangers managers don't survive 4-0 drubbings from Celtic. Not then,not now,not ever.

Scot Symon survived the 7-1 defeat in 57 and led us to multiple domestic honours and 2 European finals in the next 10 years.

Sadly there probably isn't anyone on here that was there in '57, but it would be interesting to know what the fan's and board reaction was at the time towards the manager.

66,00o at the scum hut to 44,000 at Hampden.

Says it all really.

Scot Symon survived the 7-1 defeat in 57 and led us to multiple domestic honours and 2 European finals in the next 10 years.

Sadly there probably isn't anyone on here that was there in '57, but it would be interesting to know what the fan's and board reaction was at the time towards the manager.

John Valentine took the rap for that game.
Don't think he ever played for us again.

John Valentine took the rap for that game.
Don't think he ever played for us again.

Yes Alex, he seemed to cop a lot of the blame.

Suprisingly I've not heard of much criticism of Symon after it, or George Niven for that matter.

Changed days.

How much would you guys say the loss of Stein affected us for that final?
It certainly didn’t help us but basic defensive errors cost us the game. Billy McNeill rose unchallenged (Alex Ferguson got the blame for that iirc) to score the first after a few minutes and Big John was dispossessed by George Connelly just outside our penalty area for their third.

Returning to the 1967-68 season I always felt the 3-3 draw at Cappielow was a major disappointment. While doing well to get a point in the end, we let Celtic gain the upper hand with only a few games to go.

Yes Alex, he seemed to cop a lot of the blame.

Suprisingly I've not heard of much criticism of Symon after it, or George Niven for that matter.

Changed days.

I think the 7-1,much like Advocaat's 1-5 in 1998 was seen as something of a freak result. We generally had the upper in during both periods.

As an aside my second year Maths teacher (1975) was a Mr Johnston who told us that he vowed never to go back if Valentine was started in that Cup Final.

He was a lying bastard as I saw him on many occasions at Ibrox and away during Souness' time in charge.

Back