1972: In Paisley Sunday Soccer is Sinful | Nationwide | Weird and Wonderful | BBC Archive

Maybe I'm imagining it but wasn't there demos by Christian groups, (might have been led by Pastor Jack Glass) when Ibrox first had a match on a Sunday?

One of the great bastions of not allowing Sunday football I.e. the Northern Ireland Premiership has eventually caved in, in recent years.

Newry Town versus Linfield, 14.00 hrs on Sunday, 21st August 2022 and live on BBC I/player.

Changed times indeed since some of the DUP lead councils in Northern Ireland, heavily influenced by the Free Presbyterian Church (or as known in Scotland as 'The Wee Frees') chained up the kiddies swings and locked up their playgrounds so they couldnae play on them on a Sunday!!!

22 pitches in use on the Saturday.

Would I be correct in thinking that 50 years later, there's nowhere near that number of games taking place?
There was actually 26 pitches with four more over the other side of the m8 which you accessed over a footbridge that was removed when the extended the M8 access to the airport

We were taken there for school PE on a Tuesday in the days of tube and covers. Bloody heavy when wet with laces which could cut you if you headed it the wrong way. Bleeding freezing as well and it always rained.

One of the great bastions of not allowing Sunday football I.e. the Northern Ireland Premiership has eventually caved in, in recent years.

Newry Town versus Linfield, 14.00 hrs on Sunday, 21st August 2022 and live on BBC I/player.

Changed times indeed since some of the DUP lead councils in Northern Ireland, heavily influenced by the Free Presbyterian Church (or as known in Scotland as 'The Wee Frees') chained up the kiddies swings and locked up their playgrounds so they couldnae play on them on a Sunday!!!
Linfield are home to Portadown this Sunday too, members only voted this summer to allow the club rule to change

Remember a bridge over the motorway leading to the furthest away pitches from the changing rooms.

They were always the best pitches in terms of surface.

Remember a bridge over the motorway leading to the furthest away pitches from the changing rooms.

They were always the best pitches in terms of surface.
Think they played finals etc over the bridge

Our BB (19th paisley) based in Elderslie won the Alexandra Cup there circa 1978

Got booked and sent off those fields a few times myself by the Ref never by the parky.

Anyone remember the pitches there that you had to cross the motorway by a foot bridge?

That was a long walk back to the dressing room. :(

Worked there doing my apprenticeship in early 80 s in parks department at st James football park
the goal nets were put up on Friday night and some stolen

The nets were great for salmon poaching, I saw the guys putting up the nets at Newmilns in Ayrshire early on the Friday night, by 2am Saturday morning I had two salmon in one of those nets

Ferguslie park ?

Back in the 1970's I ran a Saturday morning team from Bridgeton. We had a game at St James Park in Paisley and my older brother, who played for us, drove myself and three other players to Paisley for it. We got lost and at 9.45am found ourselves in the vicinity of Ferguslìe Park. We saw this lone guy walking down the road and pulled over to ask him for directions. My brother rolled down the car window, spoke to the guy and as calm as you like he gave us directions. While he was doing this, however, my eyes were transfixed on the belt line at his waist from where blood was clearly seeping. The guy had obviously been stabbed, either not long beforehand or on the previous night. My brother thanked the guy, off he walked and we drove away went to play our game. That is my memory of a Saturday morning in Ferguslie while on the way to St James's Park.

Back