1973 Scottish cup final

As has been said already by a few on this thread I would absolutely love to see the entire 90 minutes of this game, and also the 1928 final as a special bonus.
I was at a Larkhall Thistle game this day, me and a bunch of mates gathered round about a wee tranny listening to the ebb and flow of the game. Everybody else at the game shouting to us every few minutes "whit the $%£^ happenin noo ".

The first Cup final and first Rangers v celtic game I attended.

And a Royal occasion.
Was at the 1969 final when that lot destroyed us,such sweet sweet revenge to be in that crowd for that game a yyoung 17 year old,oh the dust storm every time we scored, happy days

Strangely, or maybe not ,I can remember that day as well as any in my life.
I can still remember what I was wearing and how many scarves I had on ( 3 ). Two hanging doon the front of my troosers.
I was 10 and so was my wee pal that I went with. Although we were only 10 we always used to sneak off to the games together.
I had just had just moved to Dalmuir and my pal still lived in Parkhall, with neither of our houses having phones, it meant when I went out about 12ish and said I was off to my pals at Parkhall, and he would tell his parents he was off to Dalmuir to see me, and that gave us the all clear until about 6 or 7 o'clock.
We would then meet at the train station and head to the game.
That day we done our usual and bought half fares far the older bears and they would give you 1 or 2 pence for yourself (remember the ticket price was only 30 pence, I think).
We didn't have tickets but that never stopped us heading over.
We, along with thousands of others were behind the Rangers end and heard the cheer when the tims scored, I might only have been 10 but I was absolutely raging and nearly greeting when an older bear said stick with us, we're getting in
We kept walking round our end looking for any chance to get in, then Parlane equalized, the roar was deafening, we danced about then heard a right loud noise, which turned out was one of the gates getting kicked in.
Everyone ran towards it, it was crazy, and we got in.
I think that was about 40 minutes gone and it was 1-1.
Due to our size it took us virtually to the final whistle to actually see any of the match.
We were in section H and headed towards the fence at the main stand to climb up a bit and actually
see the game.
Within minutes the final whistle blew and it was one of the greatest feelings in the world.
I can clearly remember McNeill going up for his runners up and sticking 8 fingers up at our end, and about 40 000 all in the one end giving him the Vicky.
Then we went up and it was absolutely brilliant to see John Greig lifting that cup, what a roar from the Bears.
Everything had been great that day, and continued until we got back to town.
I seen a 64 bus and told my pal that's us ,64 goes to Dalmuir, but unfortunatly this was going the other way and we ended up at Auchenshugle!
I was just thinking to myself how best to hide my scarves before I got back to the house, when I was grabbed by my Dad and flung into the back of the car.
The one and only time my Dad actually skelped me, but it was well worth it.
What a great f ucking day that was.

Anyway eventually got to Dalmuir about 8 at night and just as I was thinking about

My first Cup Final, it’s in my favourite three games attended of all time, along with Easter Road 1975 and the Bayern semi in 1972.

As I remembered it, Greg's handball was a full length dive to touch it round the post.
In the footage, Archie wasn't even sure a penalty was being given!

Was at Uni in sheepville at the time, me and a mate went down for the weekend. Friday night saw Billy Connely at Strathclyde Union, funniest performance I've ever seen. Then Saturday at Hampden. What a weekend!

As I remembered it, Greg's handball was a full length dive to touch it round the post.
In the footage, Archie wasn't even sure a penalty was being given!
I have said it before on FF but at the game I was convinced big John had cleared the shot with his head. Looking back on it, not even JRP Gordon (Newport on Tay) could have let us away with that one.

The look on big Forsyth’s face as he turned away after scoring too

Remember it well, half a dozen of us got lifted before the game took us down to the local nick, Allison street I think, took our names , let us go, back up to hampden, missed the start of the game.
After so long in their shadow we could see we were starting to come good brilliant result for us & we put down a marker that day.
Came ou the game singing & dancing, someone told us the English cup final result 1-0 to Sunderland, me & my mate had a fiver on the double at 7-1 the two underdogs, YAHOO.
Naw off the train at Glasgow central & bumped into a load of Tim's from the Drum another barny & the police called again, lucky lucky we got away without being charged, but what an eventful day & that was before the party at night
My auld fella also had the double on that day ( might've been more than a fiver ) he was fairly drunk that night, fell through the glass door at home resulting in 40+ stitches.

Back in the days the Scottish Cup Final blew away other World finals for crowds.
Down south, we had live coverage of the cup final on itv and bbc, at half time and full time they'd show highlights from north of the border..without knowing the score, great times and everyone was interested.

Was in the north stand and my memory is our support stretched well into their end and we missed a couple of chances late on to have made it a more emphatic victory.

I'm still coughing up the "stoor" from the Rangers end after Tam's winner . By far the largest crowd I have ever been in and the crush in the crowd at kick off was scary as late arrivals were forced down the middle by the cops.

My favourite video of that game is the Movietone newsreel, shown in the cinemas the week after. The narration is cheesy as fuck but there are some good views of the crowd and the celebrations at the end (click on the title to get it to work in YouTube):

Was in the north stand and my memory is our support stretched well into their end and we missed a couple of chances late on to have made it a more emphatic victory.

The pics of Jaws goal in Playing for Rangers (referred to earlier in the thread) prove that. The Main Stand and enclosure towards the Celtic end was full of bears.

Last edited:
Down south, we had live coverage of the cup final on itv and bbc, at half time and full time they'd show highlights from north of the border..without knowing the score, great times and everyone was interested.
I was watching the Sunderland-Leeds game on ITV and can assure you Brian Moore kept me updated on the score. I have a vivid memory of the despair induced when they went 1-0 up.

Anyone who had "Playing for Rangers No5" will remember the sequence of photographs capturing big Tam's goal. I fucking loved it. Like a slow motion replay in print.
I was only 13, so cut me some slack. :))

I was only 7 but Parlane was my hero, still is, but as an aside I think I recall those photos. Not sure if my memory is playing tricks with me, but my mum and dad were very friendly with a daily express sports photographer, who I think took them. He was big bluenose himself and sadly no longer with us

Sir Jackie Charlton, from the North East of England, said when he was a child somebody would say are you going to go, listen, or watch the Cup Final highlights, and folk would say 'Which one..?' because the Final up here was every bit as big, if not bigger, than the FA Cup Final. Wow...another era entirely...

Still my favourite game after all these years (was 10 at the time). 1999 Parkhead and 2002 Cup final pushed it but there is still that magic feeling about the 73 game.
Strangely enough ended up in South Enclosure right in line with the winning goal ( must be in the famous picture sequence) . Lots of Gers fans in there too.

The night before at 22nd partick BB one of the guys was adamant they would score first and we would win. Things we remember eh.

Would I be right in saying that there were some Rangers fans right at the top of the Celtic end terracing that day or is my memory shite?.
A fantastic day.Can remember in the daily record on Monday morning that Alec Cameron was shocked at the size of the crowd as only under 123000 present and 134000 tickets were sold.
Changed days

Sir Jackie Charlton, from the North East of England, said when he was a child somebody would say are you going to go, listen, or watch the Cup Final highlights, and folk would say 'Which one..?' because the Final up here was every bit as big, if not bigger, than the FA Cup Final. Wow...another era entirely...
I can only recount my own experience based on watching every FA Cup Final since 1971 and having always lived in England.

The FA Cup Final in the 70s was the biggest football match of the season. TV coverage would start around 11 and continue till around 5.30. The Scottish Final would barely merit a mention, regardless of the finalists. If anything other than the goals were shown it would be a miracle.

I can also remember that back in 1977, the Scottish Final was on an earlier date than the FA Cup Final. Again, there was no specific highlights programme on either channel

I can only recount my own experience based on watching every FA Cup Final since 1971 and having always lived in England.

The FA Cup Final in the 70s was the biggest football match of the season. TV coverage would start around 11 and continue till around 5.30. The Scottish Final would barely merit a mention, regardless of the finalists. If anything other than the goals were shown it would be a miracle.

I can also remember that back in 1977, the Scottish Final was on an earlier date than the FA Cup Final. Again, there was no specific highlights programme on either channel

Jackie Charlton grew up in the 30s and 40s, mate. A much different time from even the 70s.

Would I be right in saying that there were some Rangers fans right at the top of the Celtic end terracing that day or is my memory shite?.
A fantastic day.Can remember in the daily record on Monday morning that Alec Cameron was shocked at the size of the crowd as only under 123000 present and 134000 tickets were sold.
Changed days
Irvine (iirc) the first final with terracing tickets was 1976.... older Bears could confirm please?

Jackie Charlton grew up in the 30s and 40s, mate. A much different time from even the 70s.
Charlton was born in 1935.

The cup finals in England and Scotland were played on different dates in the 3 years I’ve just looked at 1949, 1950 and 1951.

He’s talking shite.

Irvine (iirc) the first final with terracing tickets was 1976.... older Bears could confirm please?
I think it was ticket,if you play the video the north enclosure ticket was 55p.
I was in the Rangers end with my dad, if it was pay at the gate he would normally go to enclosure.
In those days I think you handed the ticket over at the turnstile for ground tickets.

Was in the main stand ( thank God ) as I was only 10 , and remember just being overawed by the size of the crowd and the noise. Fast forward to last year and I had the pleasure and privilege of interviewing big Tam for my 1st book about Rangers ' 10 matches 10 players ' . What a gentleman he is . Different class

They must have filmed it all before editing it. No idea if they keep that original film.
I recall the Saturday afternoon sports programme I was watching “switched over to Hampden” and showed the last minute or so live. Can anyone else confirm?

I recall the Saturday afternoon sports programme I was watching “switched over to Hampden” and showed the last minute or so live. Can anyone else confirm?
The 1971 FA cup final Arsenal v Liverpool, extra time was live in Scotland.
(After old firm final was over)
No live tv for Scottish tv back then.

I’m sure Old Firm games whether at Ibrox, Hampden or the Piggery were always all-ticket, otherwise uncontrollable numbers would have turned up.
Well maybe not in 1939 when we had 118,000 and thousands more locked out.

Charlton was born in 1935.

The cup finals in England and Scotland were played on different dates in the 3 years I’ve just looked at 1949, 1950 and 1951.

He’s talking shite.

Look at the other years then.

I'm pretty sure growing in the 60s and so forth both Cup finals were played on the same day.

BTW, I could be wrong. But I always remembered them being played on the same day.

That I cannot confirm regards tickets. I'm pretty sure I must have had one to get in.

Now here's the thing.

The official capacity of Hampden was now reduced to 85,000 in 1976

What the papers said the next day was the attendance was 85,250

I think what they were alluding to was there was a crash in at the sellik end. And it wasn't just 250 punters crashed in.

What we have to contemplate is that the game against Hearts is the last time we played in front of a 100,000 crowd in Scotland.

Look at the other years then.

I'm pretty sure growing in the 60s and so forth both Cup finals were played on the same day.

BTW, I could be wrong. But I always remembered them being played on the same day.
1968 Scottish cup final was played on the same day as last league games in April.
We lost at home to Aberdeen that day.
Fa cup final was played in May, not sure why our cup was played early.
1969 onwards I think they were played on the same day.

That I cannot confirm regards tickets. I'm pretty sure I must have had one to get in.

Now here's the thing.

The official capacity of Hampden was now reduced to 85,000 in 1976

What the papers said the next day was the attendance was 85,250

I think what they were alluding to was there was a crash in at the sellik end. And it wasn't just 250 punters crashed in.

What we have to contemplate is that the game against Hearts is the last time we played in front of a 100,000 crowd in Scotland.
Only time I have been in that end for a cup final, we had about half of the uncovered end.
The gate got kicked in , I think next to the main stand side.
A good number who got in probably already had tickets , I doubt the crowd that day was over 90 thousand.
The following year the capacity was dropped to 81 thousand and the match was on live tv .
Just over 54 thousand turned up due to the weather.
73 was the last of the great cup final crowds.

Tim who was in the old North Stand that day with his dad told me they were amazed at the Rangers support. Said they were right along into their half of the stand.

Tim who was in the old North Stand that day with his dad told me they were amazed at the Rangers support. Said they were right along into their half of the stand.

I know my dad and grandpa were in the old North Stand that day, midway between the halfway line and the Celtic end.

When Dalglish scored, my dad (who was 14) said there was a few around him who got up and he thought it seemed about 50/50.

However, when Parlane scored it seemed like everyone around him was up.

There were vastly more Rangers than Celtic supporters well into the Celtic end of the North Stand.

He also said there were masses of Rangers supporters below him in the East section of the North Enclosure (as it was called then).

Back