1973 Scottish cup final

Look at the other years then.

I'm pretty sure growing in the 60s and so forth both Cup finals were played on the same day.

BTW, I could be wrong. But I always remembered them being played on the same day.
Scottish Cup was generally played in April back in the day.
From 1970 on,possibly before, both finals tended to be played on the same day.

Would I be right in saying that there were some Rangers fans right at the top of the Celtic end terracing that day or is my memory shite?.
A fantastic day.Can remember in the daily record on Monday morning that Alec Cameron was shocked at the size of the crowd as only under 123000 present and 134000 tickets were sold.
Changed days

There's a snap of Tam Forsyth's goal taken from the North East enclosure, or from that angle, and in that picture you can clearly see bears in the yahoo side of the Main stand celebrating the goal. Remember this is at the goal line at the sellik end.

Certainly in the 1963 SC final replay there were thousands of Rangers fans in the sellik end of the North enclosure.

Robert McElroy, the Rangers Historian, also made the point that there was loads of Rangers fans in yahoo territory in the 1966 SC final.

There's a snap of Tam Forsyth's goal taken from the North East enclosure, or from that angle, and in that picture you can clearly see bears in the yahoo side of the Main stand celebrating the goal. Remember this is at the goal line at the sellik end.

Certainly in the 1963 SC final replay there were thousands of Rangers fans in the sellik end of the North enclosure.

Robert McElroy, the Rangers Historian, also made the point that there was loads of Rangers fans in yahoo territory in the 1966 SC final.
At both the 71 and 73 SCF there were lots of bears in the mentally challenged sections.

Look at the other years then.

I'm pretty sure growing in the 60s and so forth both Cup finals were played on the same day.

BTW, I could be wrong. But I always remembered them being played on the same day.
I was originally replying to post 72 which suggested Jack Charlton claimed as a child that both finals (FA and Scottish) had similar status down south.

Charlton was born in 1935 so presumably would have no recollection of any pre-war finals.

There are no instances of the FA Cup and Scottish Cup Final being played on the same day at least upto and including 1950.

Charlton’s uncle played in the next 2 finals and 1953 was the Matthews final - I can’t imagine anyone debating what game or highlights to watch in those 3 years.

I confirm in the 70s both finals were played on the same day except in 1977 when the Scottish Final was held two weeks earlier

My first Cup Final, it’s in my favourite three games attended of all time, along with Easter Road 1975 and the Bayern semi in 1972.

I would add Barca 72 to make it a "Quartet Of Classics" that I was lucky enough to attend.

That Final in 73 was indeed the "Centenary Cup Final" then years later, the "Centenary Cup Final" was in fact Barca 72 (We won a European Trophy in our Centenary Year but never knew it at the time). Whatever, I was there at our "Centenary Cup Final", whenever it was LOL.

Back