1978 Motherwell v Rangers, March Premier League, TV highlights on You Tube

Thanks for this, just going to watch.
I posted on another thread about this game being one of my favourites from that season.
Fir park was packed that day. Was there with my dad and he would talk about it years later the chant from the Bears to Roger Hynd 'Roger, Roger shut your mouth' after he boasted before the game how they'd beat us. i think they had beaten the Beggars the week before.

This was the game that had everyone believing that season.
Motherwell had been on fire in the early part of the season and were full of it going into the game.
Some proper meaty challenges in there - wee Doddie's ball winning tackle to set up the equaliser is quality and epitomises the spirit and will to win that ran through that team.
Remember that trouble had seemed somewhat inevitable that day - there seemed to be tension and a bit of aggro going into the match and when Motherwell scored their second a few ill advised gestures to the Rangers fans led to the fans spilling onto the pitch with the game held up. Was in that area that day (not on the pitch) and it was just mayhem for 5 - 10 minutes.

These archive games have been magic but you forget the amount of meaty tackles that were the norm then. Most of these games would be abandoned if refereed to today's rules and VAR.

Remember being there. Don't remember much about it other than being 2 nil down, pitch invasion and coming back to win 5-3.

Great to see it again. Thanks for posting.

At that time I was into Liverpool as well and got a ticket for their game v Man Utd. Souness scored his first goal and a Man Utd supporter got a dart thrown at him which stuck In his nose. Remember being in the pub after the game and seeing the invasions from Fir Park.

Just noticed that John Greig played right back that day, Alex Miller was playing so Sandy Jardine must have been injured, but although Miller wore 2 he played left back.

Any idea why we were wearing black armbands?

First time I was allowed to go to an away game without my Dad.
Four or five of us went on the local RSC. There was trouble brewing well before Motherwell went 2-0 up and there had been a couple of skirmishes under the shed.
When they scored their 2nd I think McVie made a gesture to the Rangers support and all hell broke loose.
My Mum was going mental when I got home as the radio had made more about it than what it really was and I was barred from going to the away games without my Dad. :p
Brilliant memories from all these old games being posted.:)

That was the game the SFA told us to replay it Waddell came onto the middle of park at Ibrox told them no way were we replaying the game we never did replay it and we kept the points

Wee Alex tackle at 9:43 mins just before the equaliser - oooooft

I’m on the telly at 8:20 as a fresh faced 13 year old right down the front on that covered enclosure , on the other side of the fence from where the invasion started

So just after half time Archie talked about "The good, the bad and the ugly side of football". I assume he meant:

Good: 4 goals in 45 mins
Bad: Pitch invasion
Ugly: Willie Pettigrew

Amirite?
Pettigrew was a great goalscorer. Always seemed to score in the big games especially against the Mhanks. Only ever won 2 League Cup medals, both with Dundee United (he scored twice against the sheep in the 1979-80 replay win at Dens Park). The Dhims tried to sign him a couple of times in season 1978-79 ( one a bid of ÂŁ150,000!). Met him once through a mate and asked him about that. He said we were supposedly interested as well and that would have been his preference. They then dropped all interest when they found out. Funny enough we sold Derek Parlane to Leeds not long after so there might have been something in it.

That was the game the SFA told us to replay it Waddell came onto the middle of park at Ibrox told them no way were we replaying the game we never did replay it and we kept the points
I have no recollection of this - remember various people in the media claiming that the game should be replayed and I think the Motherwell Manager, Roger Hynd, wanted it replayed but didn't realise that the SFA were pushing for it as well.
Waddell certainly wasn't one to get pushed around - got the referee rightly to overturn his decision to have a penalty shoot out (which we lost) against Sporting on route to the ECWC Final in 72 and was hugely influential in getting our ban following the final reduced from 2 years to one.
Genuine legend.

Was 13 and lived in Wishy at the time. Aye, was on the pitch that day, as you did as a wee maverick :cool: back then, but they were great times following The Rangers, the camaraderie was an education in life, especially on the supporters buses. You could get away with most things, ;) but if you went too far, there was always a wee friendly slap around the heid, to tell you, enough.:) As I said, great times growing up.

Last edited:
Just noticed that John Greig played right back that day, Alex Miller was playing so Sandy Jardine must have been injured, but although Miller wore 2 he played left back.

Any idea why we were wearing black armbands?
I was thinking of Bobby McKean and I thought there was a wee chant during the highlights but very short.

I have no recollection of this - remember various people in the media claiming that the game should be replayed and I think the Motherwell Manager, Roger Hynd, wanted it replayed but didn't realise that the SFA were pushing for it as well.
Waddell certainly wasn't one to get pushed around - got the referee rightly to overturn his decision to have a penalty shoot out (which we lost) against Sporting on route to the ECWC Final in 72 and was hugely influential in getting our ban following the final reduced from 2 years to one.
Genuine legend.

Maybe someone on here can look back at the papers and find something around that time old rangers news maybe

The game after he died was the League Cup Final.

The mentally challengeds behaved like the lowlife scum they are during the silence pre match. I remember well how my old dad looked he wanted to kill them.
When I saw the above reply I remembered the LC final.
Have to dredge the memory banks as we didn't do these thing lightly in those days.

There was a big mob of Bears waiting to get into the ground before kick off and the usual pushing and shoving with cops bawling and shouting at us. I felt something hit my shoulder and looked round to see a police horse with its jaws clamped round me! I tried to slap its forehead to get it off me and the cop on its back went nuts.

"Don't you assault my horse you little b*****d!" Eventually it released its grip but I was left with bruising and a ripped t-shirt and denim jacket. Of course all the other guys found it hilarious. I can laugh now but was mightily pissed off at the time.
Thanks OP for posting this.

Pretty sure the black armbands were for a Motherwell director who had just passed away.
That was a great game which I still remember pretty well.
Alec Cameron of the Record was the one who first suggested the game should be replayed,
as he says the pitch invasion totally changed the outcome of the game, and we couldn't let the hooligans get away with it. Prick

Big DJ was on fire that season.
He scored a hat trick in a 4- 1 win earlier in the season at Motherwell.
He ended up with 40 goals that season including a couple for Scotland before the Finals in Argentina and stll didn't get picked ahead of Joe Harper.

Was there that day - Rangers fans were in every part of the ground as usual at Fir Park. They used to be a Rangers friendly club but all that has changed now.
I was going to post something similar. I grew up in Motherwell and plenty Dossers were of good stock 'back then'.

They now try and out poet the poets.

Back