1985, my first Rangers game

I actually remember it like yesterday,
I was 9 years old,
It was 50p, yes fifty pence entry at the father and son gate in the main stand.
And I was treated to one of Davie Cooper’s finest finishes.
I was instantly hooked on the famous Glasgow Rangers !
I was a youthful 16 year old at that game,i was at the first leg at Easter road and for some reason i remember it was a Friday night and we had just signed Cammy Fraser and Ian Ferguson from Dundee or is my mind playing tricks on me.

I was a youthful 16 year old at that game,i was at the first leg at Easter road and for some reason i remember it was a Friday night and we had just signed Cammy Fraser and Ian Ferguson from Dundee or is my mind playing tricks on me.
Your mind is playing tricks with you, the first leg at Easter Road was on the Wednesday night sandwiched in between two home defeats to Dundee and Aberdeen (the 0-3, down to 9 men one)
I was right at the back of the Copland Rear for the second leg with 5 of my pals, back row, absolutely pummelled Hibs that night and missed sitter after sitter IIRC.
A lot of bother outside afterwards, they almost filled the Broomloan that night.

I was 9 years old,

My 1st game was also against hibs in 1985 was a league game though, won 3 0 Super hat trick sadly no footage exists as was tv strike.

My 1st game was also against hibs in 1985 was a league game though, won 3 0 Super hat trick sadly no footage exists as was tv strike.

Was that round about the same time we beat the mentally challengeds 3-0 Ibrox?

Again no tv cameras were there as there was a strike.

Unthinkable now.

Though there is footage from a fan who filmed it in the Govan stand.

Excellent post.

I was 1985 too. Although before we got STs I was taken to Osasuna in the UEFA Cup which was 84/85.

I was only 5 when I started going to games, but even if it wasn't already drilled into me, I'd have became a lifelong fan from the first game onwards.

Excellent post.

I was 1985 too. Although before we got STs I was taken to Osasuna in the UEFA Cup which was 84/85.

I was only 5 when I started going to games, but even if it wasn't already drilled into me, I'd have became a lifelong fan from the first game onwards.
There was some light drizzle the night of the Osasuna game. That was their first game in Europe ever.

The OPs game was a cracker. In the Copland that night and had a great view of Coop’s free kick.

Great memories.

I actually have no clue what was my first Rangers game !!
And family are zero help..
My earliest memory is Scottish cup tie v East Fife at Ibrox 73ish.. :oops:

There was some light drizzle the night of the Osasuna game. That was their first game in Europe ever.

The OPs game was a cracker. In the Copland that night and had a great view of Coop’s free kick.

Great memories.
Did we not still fail to qualify.. re- OP

Was at both legs as a fresh faced 16 year old. Hibs brought a big support that night but due to traffic issues their end was almost empty at kick off . What a strike from Coop.

Mine was 1984. Rangers beat Dundee United 2-0 at Ibrox. I'm sure it was a cup game, quarter or semi final even. Sandy Clark and Iain Redford scored for us.

Reactions: TNT
My first game was November 1985. Lost 3-0 at Tynecastle.

Sandy Jardine's 1000th game.

There was a dispute with TV companies that season. A lot of football was not on TV...

I was 1985 too. A November 0-0 draw versus Clydebank at Ibrox. We were utterly appalling. When I see folk saying this is the worst Rangers team they’ve ever seen, I think of that game.

Your mind is playing tricks with you, the first leg at Easter Road was on the Wednesday night sandwiched in between two home defeats to Dundee and Aberdeen (the 0-3, down to 9 men one)
I was right at the back of the Copland Rear for the second leg with 5 of my pals, back row, absolutely pummelled Hibs that night and missed sitter after sitter IIRC.
A lot of bother outside afterwards, they almost filled the Broomloan that night.
That Aberdeen match was my first ever game coincidentally.

Don’t remember my first game but I’ll never forget that game due to Coop’s strike. Just couldn’t score another and Rough made some goods saves.

Watching that reminded me that we used to chant RAMBO RAMBO to Dave McKinnon. You can hear us chanting it in the first couple of minutes. he was an awful player. Cooper and McCoist were really the only glimmer of hope in the team, maybe that’s being harsh but It just wasn’t a good squad.

Watching that reminded me that we used to chant RAMBO RAMBO to Dave McKinnon. You can hear us chanting it in the first couple of minutes. he was an awful player. Cooper and McCoist were really the only glimmer of hope in the team, maybe that’s being harsh but It just wasn’t a good squad.
You have touched on a very salient point that has a certain relevance at this moment in time.

We all know it was a revolution when Souness breezed into Ibrox. However, when he came in he had Cooper, arguably the best footballer at Ibrox since Baxter and as you say McCoist who is and will probably remain the best Rangers goalscorer since WW2 onwards. (can't be @rsed going into the Jimmy Smith and Wullie Reid records at this point)

He also had Derek Ferguson and Ian Durrant already through and needing that guidance to take them forward. He also had Davie McPherson in defence who was a journeyman and who became better when Butcher took him by the scruff of the neck.

The incoming manager this week will have next to nothing to build on.

Did we not still fail to qualify.. re- OP
You have touched on a very salient point that has a certain relevance at this moment in time.

We all know it was a revolution when Souness breezed into Ibrox. However, when he came in he had Cooper, arguably the best footballer at Ibrox since Baxter and as you say McCoist who is and will probably remain the best Rangers goalscorer since WW2 onwards. (can't be @rsed going into the Jimmy Smith and Wullie Reid records at this point)

He also had Derek Ferguson and Ian Durrant already through and needing that guidance to take them forward. He also had Davie McPherson in defence who was a journeyman and who became better when Butcher took him by the scruff of the neck.

The incoming manager this week will have next to nothing to build on.
This post highlights the enormous task required for our next manager.
As you stated we had Cooper, McCoist, Durrant and Ferguson already at the club.
Who do we have now that the team can be built on ?
I’m struggling with this.

This post highlights the enormous task required for our next manager.
As you stated we had Cooper, McCoist, Durrant and Ferguson already at the club.
Who do we have now that the team can be built on ?
I’m struggling with this.

Its a daunting period were heading into... Unless (Presumably) Beale cam have them hitting the ground running, we've not got much in the way of a plan B.

I was 9 years old,
We had a couple in the stadium bar after & then got on a train full of hibs casuals

I always remember my old man telling me "don't go in the East Enclosure, it's a bit mental, so stick to the West" I was 12/13 at the time lol.

Back then I bet you were glad,
Not that I was up on casuals at 9 years old back then B-D
Tbh we got on the subway at Ibrox & they were already on & I never actually realised they were hibs fans , until they started singing about green and white ribbons on the cup , then I thought oh fuuk , but as I said they were in a good mood

I have no idea what my first game was. It must have been at Ibrox post reconstruction in either 81-82 or 82-83. I remember going to the Scottish cup final in 83 and that wasn't my first game as I had been at Ibrox prior to then. I wish my old boy could remember. My boys first game was the last home game in the administration year... 2012.. he wasn't quite 4 but I wanted to make sure he had seen rangers at Ibrox....just in case

Enjoyed watching it what a goal DC legend what a player. i love they old vids.

1st leg ally missed a couple of late sitters bears were going mental, might have changed things who knows one thing you got out that team was fight nice strip too even then we had the smartest top in the league.

Back