1990/91 season

ssblue

Amazing finale when a half fit team saw us over the line in an unforgettable game against a good Sheep team.

League cup won.

Lost in Europe to a fantastic Red Star team.

Souness leaving with 4 games to go. Or thereabouts.

My weird memory of that season is a fantastic Sandy Robertson winner at Love Street in the run in.

Your memories?

Apart from going out of Europe we had a fairly decent 1st half of the season lifting the Skol Cup and top of the table by Xmas. We lost to a last minute winner to the sheep and then lost back to back games to the mentally challengeds in the cup and league.

Our confidence took a real pounding from that run of defeats and then we started to scrape wins after that. Souness leaving with a few games left was a blow but then came the game against Motherwell which we lost and put the sheep top.

But we rallied on the last day and got the job done against the odds.

One thing that is overlooked was Butcher getting shown the door by Souness after allegedly refusing to play in the Skol cup final as he felt he was not fit enough

My Dad on his death bed .
Friday 10 May my wife took me out for my birthday and didn’t have enough money to pay for it .
Got home to get the call about my dad .
Went to hospital and stayed all night
My sister had travelled a long way and ordered me to go to the game on Saturday.
Game passed me by and straight back to the hospital
Dad sitting up and spoon fed him a wee bit of birthday cake and told him as much as I could about the fighting spirit of our team .
A wee smile
He passed on the Monday with me by his side .The man that taught me Rangers .

My son was born on Dec 30th.

The day before Mark Walters scored one of the best untelevised goals ever, then in the New Year game he scored direct from a corner.

He also scored in that League Cup final against them.

Other main memories are the 2-1 win at the piggery when MoJo and substitute Super Ally scored when Hurlock cemented Steve Fulton, and of course the last day decider against the sheep which was incredible.

Kuznetsov scoring a wonder goal in pre season against us, everyone waiting three months in anticipation of him arriving in October before his career went up in flames inside 135 minutes.

His debut is as good as any you'll ever see in a Rangers jersey. Majestic doesn't begin to cover it.

Nigel Spackman was excellent that season and ended up being captain on the final day.

Kuznetsov scoring a wonder goal in pre season against us, everyone waiting three months in anticipation of him arriving in October before his career went up in flames inside 135 minutes.

His debut is as good as any you'll ever see in a Rangers jersey. Majestic doesn't begin to cover it.

100% he was pure class.

Was looking forward to that day (kuznetzov debut) even though i was a lad. He hit the post from distance if i remember right

Dougie Arnott! Remember standing behind the goal at Fir Park on 4th May as he bagged his hat trick and the Motherwell fans also celebrating news of Aberdeen scoring to go top.

Amazing finale when a half fit team saw us over the line in an unforgettable game against a good Sheep team.

League cup won.

Lost in Europe to a fantastic Red Star team.

Souness leaving with 4 games to go. Or thereabouts.

My weird memory of that season is a fantastic Sandy Robertson winner at Love Street in the run in.

Your memories?

I was at the St Midden game where Robertson scored, I recall Spackman crunching into a tackle, turning to our players to try and get them going, he ran over to the Bears with the arms up trying to rouse us, we responded by launching into song and we scored a few mins later.

I enjoyed that season - beat them home and away plus in a cup final. Won league with a great final day performance. Good crack on supporters bus. Getting served in pubs (I only turned 17 a fortnight after the season finished).

Lovely.

Was young at the time but what sticks out that season was losing to RSB, Souness leaving, Sheep going top and my dad telling me we would win the league. He wasnt wrong.

I loved that top also, Admiral. I think my daughter might be able to fit in it these days :D

My son was born on Dec 30th.

The day before Mark Walters scored one of the best untelevised goals ever, then in the New Year game he scored direct from a corner.

He also scored in that League Cup final against them.

Other main memories are the 2-1 win at the piggery when MoJo and substitute Super Ally scored when Hurlock cemented Steve Fulton, and of course the last day decider against the sheep which was incredible.
And at least half the bheggars in the Broomloan booed and jeered through the minutes silence for the 20th anniversary of the Ibrox disaster even with Bonnar and McStay trying to get them to be quiet. On the Sportscene highlights that night the volume was turned down and some pish on the intro about the silence being immaculately observed.

After losing at home to Dundee Utd in November, Rangers went 15 games unbeaten until Pittodrie at the start of March and in that run scored over 30 goals. Some of the football at the turn of the year was a joy to watch.

After the Feb/March period and Dalglish resigning at Liverpool, things went wrong for a few weeks and it threatened to kill the season. Appointing Smith turned out to be a master stroke but people should remember that a lot of people wanted a big name instead.
That first home match for Smith on the Tuesday night against Dundee Utd was as edgy as they come. Ian Ferguson taking a boot in the face when he scored the only goal with a diving header.

And at least half the bheggars in the Broomloan booed and jeered through the minutes silence for the 20th anniversary of the Ibrox disaster even with Bonnar and McStay trying to get them to be quiet. On the Sportscene highlights that night the volume was turned down and some pish on the intro about the silence being immaculately observed.
That whole incident, from the majority of their fans acting like that, to them ignoring their goalie and their captain pleading them to stop and through to the BBC editing the jeering our and making out that nothing had happened... it changed my view of their support and the Scottish media forever.

I was 9 years old in my (Aberdeen supporting) Granny and Grandpas huddled round the radio listnening to that last game against Aberdeen. Great memories, couldnt wait to see the highlights on the telly.

That whole incident, from the majority of their fans acting like that, to them ignoring their goalie and their captain pleading them to stop and through to the BBC editing the jeering our and making out that nothing had happened... it changed my view of their support and the Scottish media forever.
A definite tipping point for me. Never heard Ibrox as angry after the minutes silence finished.

A definite tipping point for me. Never heard Ibrox as angry after the minutes silence finished.
My first Old Firm game as well.

My old man is a Bheggar and we were reasonably polite about it all up until then but when he was telling me that none of this happened because that’s what the radio had said (bearing in mind I had been at the game) then it did change a bit.

Apart from going out of Europe we had a fairly decent 1st half of the season lifting the Skol Cup and top of the table by Xmas. We lost to a last minute winner to the sheep and then lost back to back games to the mentally challengeds in the cup and league.

Our confidence took a real pounding from that run of defeats and then we started to scrape wins after that. Souness leaving with a few games left was a blow but then came the game against Motherwell which we lost and put the sheep top.

One thing that is overlooked was Butcher getting shown the door by Souness after allegedly refusing to play in the Skol cup final as he felt he was not fit enough

I thought it was the semi against Aberdeen that happened?

Scum will act like scum.

They haven't changed in all the years I've had to share a football stadium with them.

mccoist attending Cheltenham after being told not to subsequently dropped and us taking a double hiding from the scum at the piggery

it all seemed to be unravelling

I thought it was the semi against Aberdeen that happened?

It was the final he "refused" to play due to a lack of fitness. His last game was at Tannadice in September where headed past Woods from around 20 yards. He was dropped as a result.

He left the club shortly after we beat Celtc to become player manager of Coventry City.

mccoist attending Cheltenham after being told not to subsequently dropped and us taking a double hiding from the scum at the piggery

it all seemed to be unravelling

Andrew Waddell sending off 3 Rangers players in one of those games didn't help.
Unreal to think after the way he dominated them, Souness would lose his last 2 games against Celtic 1-0 & 3-0.

Unreal to think after the way he dominated them, Souness would lose his last 2 games against Celtic 1-0 & 3-0.
Three players sent off - Walters, Hurlock and Hateley - all for retaliation.

Still, Peter the Pointer got a second yellow for encroaching at a free kick.

the game at dunfermline a few weeks later saw even more cheating

we did incredibly well to finally get over the line that year

Three players sent off - Walters, Hurlock and Hateley - all for retaliation.

Still, Peter the Pointer got a second yellow for encroaching at a free kick.

And all got suspended from the vital league game the following week, then McCoist got dropped for going to Cheltenham.
We ended up playing Scott Nisbet, John Spencer and Davie Dodds.

This is the Simply the best season review video. I still have this video.

I like the semi final at Hampden against Aberdeen with 2 English commentators talking about Trevor Steven. They were saying he was too lightweight to play centre midfield then he burst through the middle and scored. It was a great goal.

Back