1997-98 season memories

senefelder

In before people blame Laudrup despite him having a very good season and being our POTY.

Even when he was clearly carrying an ankle injury that started to bother him in his latter career, he was 100% not the reason that we didn't get ourselves over the line.

The line that "he chucked it" ahead of his move to Chelsea just doesn't wash with me.
I posted similar in the recent Gazza/Laudrup thread. Clearly he didn't match his previous seasons form however so many other players just did not contribute. I can recall an away match vs St Johnston around February or March where Laudrup set up a string of chances all missed, with Durie being the main culprit.

StrathbungoLoyal

Did the Tarriers not lose their first two league games aswell? We effectively had a 6 point head start.
Aye they lost to Hibs and Dunfermline iifc. Our first two games were at home against Hearts (3-1 win) and Dundee United (5-1 win) and I'm sure that we had an away game v Killie rescheduled early in the season for some reason on what would have been the second weekend of the League season.

We were quite ropy in the Cups despite getting to the Scottish Cup Final. We played Hamilton away at Fir Park I'm sure in both cups and struggled to win both, even had to come from behind in the Scottish Cup. Lost at 1-0 at home to Dundee Utd after extra time in the League Cup just weeks after spanking them 5-1 in the league, got away with one against Motherwell at Fir Park when their goalie had a howler to.gift Durie a last minute equaliser. We then struggled to a replay against first division Dundee and then of course there was the final debacle v. Hearts

Dave Angell

A fully fit and focused Marco Negri for the second half of the season, would have seen him bag over 50 goals, and helped us on the way to 10IAR.

30 league goals up to December 97. 3 league goals for the remainder of the season.

StrathbungoLoyal

The Negri episode will always be a strange one. We've all heard the rumours but what we do know for a fact is that he downed tools in the second half of the season meaning that a 35 year old Ally McCoist was being relied upon to be the main goalscorer from February until the run in. To be fair he did manage a few crucial goals but by this time age and weight had caught up with Super.

Ricksen

What a lot of shite
Yeah thanks for the input pal. Just my opinion, but I think it’s possible to win too much domestically. You risk permanent stagnation. It’s taken me being on the wrong end of a 10iar run for me to realise it. I’m happy with 9, I just hope to god we can save it.

OohAhHuistra

Yeah thanks for the input pal. Just my opinion, but I think it’s possible to win too much domestically. You risk permanent stagnation. It’s taken me being on the wrong end of a 10iar run for me to realise it. I’m happy with 9, I just hope to god we can save it.
It’s nonsense though isn’t it? We blew 10 everyone wanted it and you’re the only person I’ve ever seen take the view you’ve given. You can never win too much, and as for Tom Boyd he’s talking pish again it would’ve damaged them but they would have recovered and won titles again.

Those Celtic fans must be bored senseless with 10 out of the last 10 trophies and going for 9IAR. Bet they’re desperate for their dominance to end as it can get to much.

Tumshie

Amoruso being injured for almost the entire season didn't help. Defence was shocking for the whole campaign.
Would love to have seen Walter play Barry Ferguson a lot more. To think we had that guy sitting in the reserves for the whole season and then less than six months later he's putting in a Man of the Match performance against a top German side in Bayer Leverkusen is incredible.

Hap Hapablap

Say we won it, then what? If Boyd is to be believed, it would’ve been the last significant thing we ever won. It’s possible to win too much domestically, you risk the whole thing becoming so boring that we start losing younger generations of fans. The scum were telling us that then, and it’s all being conveniently forgotten now.
Eh, whit?

Dave Angell

I'm sure there were reports at the time of TGFITW indulging in threatening/inTIMidating behaviour towards staff and players at St Johnstone, in the run up to the game at the piggery that saw them stopping our 10.

From the same club who brought us "Sporting Integrity" 10 years later.

A club like no other ? You betcha .....

Rt. Hon. Bearman

For as long as us and the scum are playing in the same league there will always be a title race. Us winning 10IAR would have been devastating for them, but they would have come back and eventually won the title again.

So I don't buy into this "it was for the best we only made it 9" argument. I was absolutely gutted when we threw away 10IAR - because throw it away is exactly what we did. We had an ageing side but it was nevertheless a side which, on paper, was easily the best in Scotland. The reason we failed was complacency and not enough discipline to stay fit and work hard to win games.

The players involved that season need to take responsibility for that. Goram, for one. Gazza also. Laudrup is also to blame, as much as I love him and am grateful for his efforts in previous seasons. He could have given his all and helped us to 10IAR before continuing his career elsewhere, but it wasn't to be.

Blowing it that season was just such a sad way to end what was a great era for the club. All those players who left, Walter too, they deserved to leave on a high, but it was their own fault.

It just shows you in football that no-one stays on top forever. It simply isn't possible. Teams age, they get complacent, other sides begin to work you out, and sometimes you just have sheer bad luck.

Look at the gaffer's team, Liverpool. They have gone thirty years without a league title and only now look like they will finally end that run. Imagine telling a Liverpool supporter in the mid-80s to enjoy it while it lasts because you're soon going to go more than a generation without winning it again. They'd laugh at you.

superallythe2nd

The way I always remembered it was the new year defeat at Parkhead was a bit of a turning point, iirc we then had a horrendous run of something like 2 or 3 wins in 10 games through January/February.
Remember my Granda getting up and walking out the room a few minutes to go and simply saying "10 in a row Rangers? You can forget it". He wasn't one to get too raging about the football (albeit, we had been dominating the Scottish game in the preceding years) but he was really disappointed that day - we all were

At the time I thought it was a wee bit of an overreaction. Bad result? Of course, but there was still plenty of football to be played.
Sadly he wasn't wrong and looking at that run above is painful reading.

Ricksen

It’s nonsense though isn’t it? We blew 10 everyone wanted it and you’re the only person I’ve ever seen take the view you’ve given.
Oh believe me I’ve been spewing about it for years, it’s only been in the last few years I’ve re thought my position on it. Like I said it’s took being on the wrong end of a potential 10 in a row run that’s made me change my thoughts on it.

You can never win too much, and as for Tom Boyd he’s talking pish again it would’ve damaged them but they would have recovered and won titles again.
I guess we’ll never know for sure. I personally don’t think they would’ve recovered. Which would’ve left us essentially prisoners in Scotland with nothing left to win.

those celtic fans must be bored senseless with 10 out of the last 10 trophies and going for 9IAR. Bet they’re desperate for their dominance to end as it can get to much.
Such dishonest sarcasm. You know fine well it’s 10 titles in a row they want. Only after that will they no longer care if we win the league.

instructor

Our team was passed its peak but if we had performed at home to Kilmarnock we may well have gone on to win the title. I think if Walter had been better in Europe he may well have stayed on, who would have thought that he would come back, win titles, cups and a European final.

StrathbungoLoyal

Such dishonest sarcasm. You know fine well it’s 10 titles in a row they want. Only after that will they no longer care if we win the league.
I think you're way out of touch with reality. Apart from anything else, whether they win ten or not, if you seriously think that "they won't care if we win the league" then you must be living in a bubble. They are obsessed by us, they put more effort into hating us than supporting their own club and anyone with their eyes and ears open over the past eight years alone would be able to tell you that.

Whenever we win the league again. Be it this year, next year or the year after, it will sicken them to their core.

RabSpackman

There you go, dropped points against St Johnstone, Dunfermline, Kilmarnock, Motherwell?!! Ffs, just as well there was no online FF back in those days!

Looking at that run of results has brought me out in a cold sweat! Thoroughly depressing.
Kilmarnock away was a grim evening and the first time that I thought that title might be beyond Rangers.
Every season in the NIAR run saw an unbeaten run over the winter and into spring that was the springboard for the run-in... that season we just could not get a run together.

Treble Kings

The Goram v McGregor thread brought back memories of that season, and more so Goram's rapid decline during that campaign which ultimately ended with us losing out on ten. His fitness was a disgrace by this point and his form suffered badly, but he wasn't alone.

There were so many unfortunate factors that season that conspired against us.

Goram was an out of shape disgrace, likewise Gazza, Indeed was there not a pre season squad photo with them all topless and their appearance was dreadful for so called professionals. Then you factor in Negri going from goal machine to downing tools in 'strange' circumstances, Laudrup being out of sorts and his Chelsea move, Walter announcing he was leaving around November time and so on. The consistency of the team was dreadful but we really should still have won that League against what was a piss poor Mhanks side.

We were unlucky though. Considering we were due to play them on 31st August when they were in the middle of a dismal start and it was postponed due to the death of Diana, Princess of Wales then by the time that game did take place we were robbed of a win due to John Rowbotham ridiculously sending Gazza off then allowing them ample injury time to.equalise which they did thanks to Stubbs being allowed to climb all over our defender. That was one of those nights where had we won we would have got ten, but several factors.counted against us that year.
The main one was we weren't good enough.

GodStruth

For all Wattie was a legendary manager for us (twice), that season's failure was on him.

Unlucky with injuries, yes, but a failure to ship out some of his finished stars really cost us. A grim season

Mount_FloridaTB

Winning 9 was a lot harder than the 10 should have been. We should have walked 10 but conspired to balls it up all by ourselves.

Given everything that went on in that season we beat Celtic in the last game v them at Ibrox and that should have seen us home. The Kilmarnock game was inexplicable but perfectly summed up the season, as did the Cup Final.

It was incredibly sad end to that era and a tough summer.
If I remember they won the league barely getting over the 70 point mark which is ridiculous frankly, even factoring in it was a 36 game league season so 2 less than what it is now.

I stand by my opinion to this day that we saw off a stronger scum team the previous two seasons to win 8 and 9 in a row when Burns was still in charge compared to Jansen's lot.

They had some right duff players in 97/98 that ended up with a league winner's medal. Darren Jackson FS!?

Ricksen

I think you're way out of touch with reality. Apart from anything else, whether they win ten or not, if you seriously think that "they won't care if we win the league" then you must be living in a bubble. They are obsessed by us, they put more effort into hating us than supporting their own club and anyone with their eyes and ears open over the past eight years alone would be able to tell you that.

Whenever we win the league again. Be it this year, next year or the year after, it will sicken them to their core.
And why is that? Because 9 in a row drove them insane. We mention it all the time on here. Getting 10 is the only thing that will ease their pain. Let me clarify by saying that we will never know anyway as we’re winning the league this year, but I’m certain that if we only managed to stop 11, they wouldn’t have the meltdown they will have this season or next. In fact quite the opposite, they’d laugh and joke all the way back to their slop houses singing cheer up Walter Smith or whatever. Easing the pain of failing to stop us violating them in 97 is their ONLY target.

Hap Hapablap

If I remember they won the league barely getting over the 70 point mark which is ridiculous frankly, even factoring in it was a 36 game league season so 2 less than what it is now.

I stand by my opinion to this day that we saw off a stronger scum team the previous two seasons to win 8 and 9 in a row when Burns was still in charge compared to Jansen's lot.

They had some right duff players in 97/98 that ended up with a league winner's medal. Darren Jackson FS!?
Compare to the previous 9 we were a disgrace that season, and that's harsh to say given the success that team brought us.

The fact we were piss poor and still took it to the last day tells it's own story.

And even then, St Johnstone missed an absolute stick on in the last game v them before they scored in a game they had to win to make sure. George somebody?

It was as if nobody wanted to win it that year.

Marvin_Andrews_Loyal

A league both team seem determined to throw away.

Goram was a disgrace for large periods of that season.

Persisting with Gordon Durie for a lot of that season (a bad head knock was only reason McCoist played latter end of season).

A league we threw away with Negri going missing, a goalie who gave up caring and a team literally dead on its feet.

Should have used Ferguson and Gattuso more as well in midfield instead of McCall and Durie should have been released.

StrathbungoLoyal

Even just looking at Goram that season, especially later on that season you could see a big difference in his appearance from even one year previously. Not only did he look overweight and out of shape, he looked shabby, unshaven and looked like a jakeball outside a pub.

Mackania

And why is that? Because 9 in a row drove them insane. We mention it all the time on here. Getting 10 is the only thing that will ease their pain. Let me clarify by saying that we will never know anyway as we’re winning the league this year, but I’m certain that if we only managed to stop 11, they wouldn’t have the meltdown they will have this season or next. In fact quite the opposite, they’d laugh and joke all the way back to their slop houses singing cheer up Walter Smith or whatever. Easing the pain of failing to stop us violating them in 97 is their ONLY target.
Every post you've made in this thread is based on an opinion formed through reading an interview with Tom Boyd. Away have a cold shower or something man. Ten in a row would have been hellish if Tom Boyd is to be believed. I don't think I've ever heard/seen someone look so daft in such few words.

Ricksen

Every post you've made in this thread is based on an opinion formed through reading an interview with Tom Boyd. Away have a cold shower or something man. Ten in a row would have been hellish if Tom Boyd is to be believed. I don't think I've ever heard/seen someone look so daft in such few words.
Fair enough, point taken. My opinion has changed in the past few years, but to each their own.

spirit_of_93

Despite all the patchy form back to back wins over the scum in April should have been the springboard for the double, but somehow, we fucked it.

superallythe2nd

Easily - which makes it all the more galling.

During our 8IAR season they lost 1 game and still didn't win the league and during the 9IAR season, we may have whitewashed them in the league but they were all hard fought wins. Aside from the 2-0 win there in September 1995 (Gazza chip), I seem to recall us getting a doing at the Piggery each game over those 2 seasons but still managed to get a result.

Unicorn

I haven’t seen it in over 20 years but didn’t we have a stonewall penalty shout in that new year defeat at 0-0? If my fading memory serves Laudrup got absolutely halved right on the edge of the box, right on the line. I don’t think we even got a free kick never mind a pen.

StrathbungoLoyal

Easily - which makes it all the more galling.

During our 8IAR season they lost 1 game and still didn't win the league and during the 9IAR season, we may have whitewashed them in the league but they were all hard fought wins. Aside from the 2-0 win there in September 1995 (Gazza chip), I seem to recall us getting a doing at the Piggery each game over those 2 seasons but still managed to get a result.
That's correct. In 95/96 and 96/97 they had a stronger side than the one they had in 97/98. They lost di canio, vHooijdonk, Cadete, John Collins and had replaced them with guff like Darren Jackson, Regi Blinker and Harald Brattbakk ffs. Obviously they signed Larsson but he didn't hit the heights that season that he would go onto in the following years.

In 95/96 they lost one league match all season, the 2-0 Gazza game at the beginning of the season and ran us close right through. Two years later we beat them on head to head but ended up losing out due to our dreadful record against sides we should have dispatched with ease.

Duranman

I haven’t seen it in over 20 years but didn’t we have a stonewall penalty shout in that new year defeat at 0-0? If my fading memory serves Laudrup got absolutely halved right on the edge of the box, right on the line. I don’t think we even got a free kick never mind a pen.
Yes we should have but Goram saved us from an utter doing that.day

nelster

Annoni done Lauders very similar to Morelos at Pittodrie. Although Lauders was on the run not from standing start.

DarthVader

David Robertson was a big loss. The Norwegian lad Stensaas was rotten and not in the same class. We lost a lot down the left hand side, and I firmly believe Laudrup was less effective without Robertson bombing forward.

Factor in the injuries to our new key players Thern and Amoruso, the rapid decline in Gazza and Goram, and the enigma that is Negri, and you can see how it all went pear shaped.

We blew it big time.

spirit_of_93

David Robertson was a big loss. The Norwegian lad Stensaas was rotten and not in the same class. We lost a lot down the left hand side, and I firmly believe Laudrup was less effective without Robertson bombing forward.

Factor in the injuries to our new key players Thern and Amoruso, the rapid decline in Gazza and Goram, and the enigma that is Negri, and you can see how it all went pear shaped.

We blew it big time.
When you look at the squad for that season it’s ridiculous how loaded it is with talent on paper.

It might have been too much transition too quickly.

Howlin Wolf

Couple of mentions of Walter chucking it or handing in his notice?

He was effectively sacked by Murray, he didn’t quit or resign, Murray informed him he would leave at the end of the season and a new manager would come in.

adamski

Compare to the previous 9 we were a disgrace that season, and that's harsh to say given the success that team brought us.

The fact we were piss poor and still took it to the last day tells it's own story.

And even then, St Johnstone missed an absolute stick on in the last game v them before they scored in a game they had to win to make sure. George somebody?

It was as if nobody wanted to win it that year.
O'Boyle missed a sitter at 1-0.

The filth were one up in 3 minutes. The game was over at that point