1998 - and Rangers were in for Brazillian star Christian

The old firm game featured I was incredibly talking about on Saturday night.

I took my wife to that game(girlfriend at the time only both 17 haha). Total jinx only ever been to 2 goaless old firm matches. The wife's never been invited back haha

Sure Christian went on to sign for PSG and had a decent career in Europe. Maybe played in Turkey at one point too?

Just realised his history was listed earlier in the thread. Least I was right. :)

Sure Christian went on to sign for PSG and had a decent career in Europe. Maybe played in Turkey at one point too?

Just realised his history was listed earlier in the thread. Least I was right. :)
Forgive me, I’m going to say not a £30m career.

£8m IIRC.

The classic "terms agreed, fee agreed, everything agreed, just need the paperwork rubberstamped and it's done" Murray deal.

See Rebrov, Sergiy for further details.

I remember that edition. Contrast the professional approach taken by the current regime to that taken back then. Nowadays, the board and management won't comment on transfer rumours; back then the chairman started the rumours and we published them on the front page of our own paper

How much of a cunt was David Murray? I mean, seriously? He treated the fanbase with such contempt.

We went for some big names, allegedly. Shevchenko, Rebrov, Tamudo, Christ even Hartson was in that bracket for the big name striker. We ended up with Flo, no harm to the big guy but he was nowhere near the calibre nor the style of striker that we wanted or needed at that time. Tamudo for me would have been perfect for us. Murray just saw anything big name related as a vanity project for him.

Great at the time to see the club shuffling in with the big boys in Europe, but in hindsight he was killing us.
Plus the headline in the News was a bit clickbait style too. £30m Brazilian, when it was only £10m?

I started highschool a few weeks before that issue, there was a newsagents beside my bus stop and on my first day at school I went in and told them to put my name down on a copy of the Rangers News every week. Must've been inspired because I seen my granda had his name on the Belfast Telegraph evening edition every night, even though there was never any danger of them selling out haha.

A-2695083-1542201099-7705-png.jpg

I thought the OP was talking about this legend for a sec (one for older bears) who oddly enough was born in Ibrox

Reactions: ao2
Passed around like a scudbook.

Murray's obsession with spending £10m on a striker was purely for vanity. He really didn't care who it was, it was all about the 8 digit fee.
Interesting that the report makes it sound as if Murray had all but concluded the deal without Advocaat’s involvement (as he reportedly did with Colin Hendry).

I have no recollection of this actually, but was it a case that after ‘watching him in action’ the Dutchman decided he wasn’t for us?

Interesting that the report makes it sound as if Murray had all but concluded the deal without Advocaat’s involvement (as he reportedly did with Colin Hendry).

I have no recollection of this actually, but was it a case that after ‘watching him in action’ the Dutchman decided he wasn’t for us?

On the Brazilian Christian, the 21-year-old whom the Rangers chairman David Murray had claimed a few weeks ago would be brought to Rangers, Advocaat gave little encouragement.

"His Brazilian club want a lot of money for him," he said, "and, for that kind of cash, you would have to watch him five or six times in proper circumstances."

How much of a cunt was David Murray? I mean, seriously? He treated the fanbase with such contempt.

We went for some big names, allegedly. Shevchenko, Rebrov, Tamudo, Christ even Hartson was in that bracket for the big name striker. We ended up with Flo, no harm to the big guy but he was nowhere near the calibre nor the style of striker that we wanted or needed at that time. Tamudo for me would have been perfect for us. Murray just saw anything big name related as a vanity project for him.

Great at the time to see the club shuffling in with the big boys in Europe, but in hindsight he was killing us.
Plus the headline in the News was a bit clickbait style too. £30m Brazilian, when it was only £10m?

I was buzzing when we signed Flo to be fair, he felt like a huge signing, he had been scoring goals against Man U often, Barca in the CL, didn't feel like any kind of let down v some of the names we had been linked with. I would expect that at that time most knew far more about him than they did Rebrov or Tamudo for instance and he had looked a far better player than Hartson and achieved more than him, be a bit like us signing Werner now rather than Antonio for instance is a sort of weirdoish comparison, that probably doesn't entirely work but sort of doesish.

Last edited:
I was buzzing when we signed Flo to be fair, he felt like a huge signing, he had been scoring goals against Man U often, Barca in the CL, didn't feel like any kind of let down v some of the names we had been linked with. I would expect that at that time most knew far more about him than they did Rebrov or Tamudo for instance and he had looked a far better player than Hartson and achieved more than him, be a bit like us signing Werner now rather than Antonio for instance is a sort of weirdoish comparison, that probably doesn't entirely work but sort of doesish.
I get what your saying, I was happy with Flo at the time but in hindsight it looked very much like a panic buy from Murray just to satisfy this weird urge he had to buy a £10m+ player to impress Advocaat.

For that kind of money at the time there were far better players out there, although Flo was banging hat-tricks in against Man Utd and the like so he wasn’t a bad player by any stretch of the imagination. His scoring record up here was tremendous.

Murray just had this vanity issue, and ultimately it would be his downfall.

Reading that particular News, it looked more like a propaganda piece, have nothing negative in it and bum everything right up. Typical Murray at that time!

On the Brazilian Christian, the 21-year-old whom the Rangers chairman David Murray had claimed a few weeks ago would be brought to Rangers, Advocaat gave little encouragement.

"His Brazilian club want a lot of money for him," he said, "and, for that kind of cash, you would have to watch him five or six times in proper circumstances."

The footnote is actually quite interesting too.

Guivarc’h ‘made it clear he had no desire to play in Scotland’, yet we pursued him anyway, shelled out £3.5m for him, whereupon he proceeded to play like he had no desire to be in Scotland.

Albeit a bit later;

Sadly, the best money he could have spent would have been £6m on Hartson.

Hartson and Mols would have been effective.

Back