1st game we played Livi

Speedbird1966

The first game we drew away at Livi I remember being a little nervous after the draw. The Gaffer I recall from his interview was cool as a cucumber and said he had no concerns as he knew he had the creative players in place. His confidence was there to see. How right he was.

As angry as I was, I said at the time that if we learned from that game and used it to work out the block and how to beat it by changing our style, it could be one of the pivotal games of the season.

The next game (Killie, if I recall), we moved away from the over cautions JackAmara approach and started mixing it up, going longer from Goldson, more direct from Davis, more risks and less focus on possession for possession's sake.

We haven't looked back. I firmly believed we needed to learn from that game and we did. It's been fantastic.

Not long now.

We were shite that day but a wonder save from a Barisic free kick and Kent passing up a great chance in injury time we probably still should've won.

Can't remember who it was but one of their player's nearly scored from the halfway line in injury time.

We were very poor that day. Kent came close to winning it at the end but it was a shocking performance if we are being honest. The other two draws we really should have won.
Very true. It felt like a defeat and there was the little voice in us all that said “this is last season all over again”. I think it will take a little time for us all to put the last 10 years behind us.

I had a half hour call with my mate after that where we worked ourselves into a mournful frenzy. Same old failings, unable to build on leading positions, Kent and Goldson undroppable etc. You have to view all comments back then in the hysteria of not having won a league title in nearly ten years and desperately wanting to.

If they were to happen next season after our first dropped points then you can maybe have a go at people. I was a mess!

I was relatively calm considering it was on that pitch.

However, I’d be lying if I said I never had thoughts that we were the same old rangers from last.

We were shite that day but a wonder save from a Barisic free kick and Kent passing up a great chance in injury time we probably still should've won.

Can't remember who it was but one of their player's nearly scored from the halfway line in injury time.
Yes the keeper tipped the ball onto to woodwork. , great effort from Borna and wonder save.

Did Shagger not have to put his cup down to collect it one handed?

Found the match thread, names hidden to protect the innocent (particularly when one of them was me :D )
Id accept posts calling the performance pathetic, it was a terrible game of football, but anyone claiming the league was gone after a few games is mental.

It was the same after the Hibs game.

I was very critical of the manager that day because it felt like a re-run of games from the previous season when we had all the possession but little guile or cutting edge and he himself appeared reluctant to make any significant changes.

It was only the fourth game of the season, but the worry then was that he hadn’t learned from the previous campaign.

Five months later I will happily admit that those fears were completely unfounded.

I remember it well. Comments like we have seen this movie before, we haven't changed a thongs since last year etc etc.

Glad we have turned it round and left people eating large slices of humble pie.

One of whom being me, not afraid to admit.

I said afterwards that it was clear that if we were to win league it would have to be handed to us as we didn't have the balls to go and grab a league title. Now, clearly we still have yet to formally win it, but I was wrong. Delightfully so.

Should have a ritualistic name and shame of people from the livi and hibs threads at the end of the season!

Last summers transfer thread was the same.
No point bringing anyone in if we stick with serial losers like Tav, Goldson, Jack, Arfield etc. There was one poster who moaned every day that we needed 9 first teamers to compete with the mentally challengeds.

I was furious at that display. I thought we were back to the slow, ponderous build up, that just wasn't going anywhere.

I think of the other games that we played, especially in Europe. Games with pace and pushing all the time, I just can't see how the Livingston performance came about.

Going by what I found online, that Livi game we had 23 attempts on goal, of the other twelve away games only at Hamilton did we have more attempts (24).
3 shots were on target, the lowest in any away match along with the game at St Mirren (won 2-0) where we had 10 attempts on goal.

Won 3 then drew with Livi, won another 3 the drew with Hibs, then won 15 on the bounce and drew with Motherwell. I’ll take that :)

Reactions: ao2
It's embarrassing really. Aye it was a frustrating watch but folk were writing off the league after the 4th game. Absolutely no patience whatsoever.

Livi wasted so much time in that game. Almost 30 minutes. Slowed us down, took us out of our game plan. It also reduced the actual game time drastically.
Thankfully their new manager does seem to go in for such tactics.
You don't have to watch the full 30 minutes plus of this video. It's pretty much the same after the first few minutes. Ref said nothing.

Back