Official Serie A thread 20/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge pressure in Milan now, missing so many players meaning they’ll have a very very rusty Ibra up top.

Rebic
Hakan
Leao
Hernandez
Bennacer
Krunic

I can see them dropping points, boys we have ourselves a title race.

Milan away to Cagliari tomorrow could be interesting.

9 points between the top 7 as it stands.
Napoli and Juve will still have to play each other in Turin at some point.

Closest it has been for years.

Part of me still gets irked by the whole Napoli-health board fiasco, Napoli were absolutely flying at the time & Juve were rotten.

They would have beaten them comfortably.

Still can't choose a title winner personally here. I thought Juve were back on track after beating Milan but seems they are still as inconsistent. Inter have the better squad compared to Milan IMO so it might really be their season. A lot depends on how much Ibra can come back in and stay fit for Milan. He will be massive around that dressing room.

Still can't choose a title winner personally here. I thought Juve were back on track after beating Milan but seems they are still as inconsistent. Inter have the better squad compared to Milan IMO so it might really be their season. A lot depends on how much Ibra can come back in and stay fit for Milan. He will be massive around that dressing room.
I still think Inter will win it, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Juve go far in the CL.

I strangely preferred Milan as a child, probably due to Kaka, Crespo, Pirlo et al. However, prefer Inter these day’s but still like AC.

So as long as either Milan club win it I will be content :))

Would love either of the Milan clubs to win it this season.

In a perfect world Napoli would do it but I don’t think they have the consistency.
Napoli had their chance 3 years ago in all honesty and blew it. Beat Juve in Turin with 4 games to go - followed it up the next game getting gubbed 3-0 at Fiorentina.

Won 6-0 today, Verona is the next league game - don't be surprised to see dropped points. Frustrating as fùck as capable of playing some great stuff but all too capable of losing silly goals.

I called this way back, I’ve mentioned it in this thread & mentioned it in the comments for H&H show.

The players struggle to understand his system, which usually includes an inconsistent formation choice & they just look so disjointed.

Sarri ball didn’t get played last season, but he won his first title. That probably relieves a lot of pressure, then this season he could have built on that by incorporating Sarri ball.

I didn’t get it at the time & I still don’t.

However, it does suggest Juve are actually accepting a project manager for once. Then again, if that’s the case then why not keep Sarri?.

Ugh.
It's easy to see that Sarri was moving the team to playing the 4-4-2 diamond variant that he ran with Empoli. A high defensive line, attacking fullbacks, high-press with energetic midfielders and two strikers (one of whom as a poacher and another as a more mobile player)

The whole point of swapping Pjanic for Arthur was that the latter fit the profile of someone who controls the game from the base of the diamond as the deep-lying playmaker/engine that is always available for a pass when building from the back. He'd have Rabiot to the left, Ramsey to the right and full-backs in Sandro and Danilo that move up the pitch with him then overlap the midfielders in the final third for overloads.

That way you can control the play, go for crosses from the overlap to Ronaldo/Morata or play it through them with Rabiot, Ramsey & Dybala.

Instead, Pirlo has got them sort of playing some weird, static 4-2-3-1 double pivot with players that can't do it and the guy whose Sarri's whole tactic was supposed to be built around is being used as some sort of shuttle runner on the left hand side every now and again off the bench.

It's easy to see that Sarri was moving the team to playing the 4-4-2 diamond variant that he ran with Empoli. A high defensive line, attacking fullbacks, high-press with energetic midfielders and two strikers (one of whom as a poacher and another as a more mobile player)

The whole point of swapping Pjanic for Arthur was that the latter fit the profile of someone who controls the game from the base of the diamond as the deep-lying playmaker/engine that is always available for a pass when building from the back. He'd have Rabiot to the left, Ramsey to the right and full-backs in Sandro and Danilo that move up the pitch with him then overlap the midfielders in the final third for overloads.

That way you can control the play, go for crosses from the overlap to Ronaldo/Morata or play it through them with Rabiot, Ramsey & Dybala.

Instead, Pirlo has got them sort of playing some weird, static 4-2-3-1 double pivot with players that can't do it and the guy whose Sarri's whole tactic was supposed to be built around is being used as some sort of shuttle runner on the left hand side every now and again off the bench.
That is an excellent post mate, the commentators said it was meant to be a 4-4-2.

I think the plan with that is for Chiesa to move forward one when attacking to create a front 3, the other 3 midfielders then shuffle over to make it a 4-3-3.

I honestly have no idea when Dejan or Dybala play whether they are meant to be a 10, a right winger or even a striker.

It’s honestly Advocaat 00/01 or McLeish 05/06 stuff in terms of ever changing systems & personal.

My team would probably be a 4-3-2-1 with Arthur playing the Pivot with Ramsey & Rabiot either side.

Dybala & Ronaldo tucked In behind Morata, the only issue with that is does Ramsey have the defensive nous to play that role with an attacking full back like Sandro.

In conclusion, Juve are a riot & are getting by this purely because they can spend gazillions on top players.

personally I want Milan to win it, that was the team when I grew up, plus big Zlatan is generally the man when it matters.

Just returned from injury during the cup game midweek, should have scored early doors as well.

That was a brilliant game to watch, Pirlo getting a tactical lesson from his former boss.

That's the best Inter have performed under Conte, it was pretty much everything great about what Conte teams do.

That is an excellent post mate, the commentators said it was meant to be a 4-4-2.

I think the plan with that is for Chiesa to move forward one when attacking to create a front 3, the other 3 midfielders then shuffle over to make it a 4-3-3.

I honestly have no idea when Dejan or Dybala play whether they are meant to be a 10, a right winger or even a striker.

It’s honestly Advocaat 00/01 or McLeish 05/06 stuff in terms of ever changing systems & personal.

My team would probably be a 4-3-2-1 with Arthur playing the Pivot with Ramsey & Rabiot either side.

Dybala & Ronaldo tucked In behind Morata, the only issue with that is does Ramsey have the defensive nous to play that role with an attacking full back like Sandro.

In conclusion, Juve are a riot & are getting by this purely because they can spend gazillions on top players.

In hindsight should they have kept Sarri?...

Yes, In the simplest terms as I have said I didn’t understand it at the time & I still don’t :))

Seems mental, he won them their 9th title in a row, lost on pens in the coppa Italia final and were unlucky to get knocked out by Lyon in the CL - Dominated both legs but couldn't score.

Had he been given another season I think the players would have been more used to his style and tactics.

The Pirlo experiment really looks like its set to fail.

What they played today was an absolute mess. I don't know what you do with that set of personnel or styles of player but I know it isn't a 4-4-2.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A 4-4-2 against Conte? Did Pirlo know he managed in England very successfully when that was still en vogue? Was it some sort of piss-take that backfired?

I don't know what Pirlo is even trying to do or even what he is trying to move towards.

Regardless of whatever sort of system you put together, it always breaks down with "Shit. Where is Ronaldo if it breaks down?" He's the best finisher in the world but he isn't going to press players for 90 minutes. He isn't going to win defensive duels and he sure as hell is going to go missing from his assigned role in search for a goal at some point in the game.

That's why Sarri's system was highly regimented on the left hand side, loose on the right last season and very stodgy at points.

Ronaldo was given the role of a striker (which he completely disregarded and did whatever) so Matuidi/Rabiot (two incredibly intelligent midfielders who are used to covering Mbappe's random jaunts and tactical naivity) were given the role in midfield to deal with the random shit that popped up when Ronaldo didn't do any pressing/went MIA and Sandro was a lot more restricted as a LB than Cuadrado was at RB last season because he had to cover.

When it comes to Dybala, he had incredible stats last season because he was switching with Ramsey (the right sided shuttle runner in a midfield three/RCM in a diamond) all the time and they completely flummoxed defenders. Today Ramsey was playing on the right wing in a 4-4-2 and Dybala wasn't on the pitch.

Seems mental, he won them their 9th title in a row, lost on pens in the coppa Italia final and were unlucky to get knocked out by Lyon in the CL - Dominated both legs but couldn't score.

Had he been given another season I think the players would have been more used to his style and tactics.

The Pirlo experiment really looks like its set to fail.
Think a lot of it stemmed from the bird assuming Allegri could have done all that, probably gave the CL a better shot too.

They hired Sarri to play nice football, which he didn’t & the board reacted too soon IMO.

I stayed the last 2 years in cassino , my daughter is Italian . And my Italian team in Napoli .
I’ve seen them play inter , juve Milan . But nothing beats watching the Rangers . Even if it’s against Ross county .

Last edited:
Inter will change their name and badge, no doubt to appeal to some American or Chinese investors...

Vomit inducing

What they played today was an absolute mess. I don't know what you do with that set of personnel or styles of player but I know it isn't a 4-4-2.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A 4-4-2 against Conte? Did Pirlo know he managed in England very successfully when that was still en vogue? Was it some sort of piss-take that backfired?

I don't know what Pirlo is even trying to do or even what he is trying to move towards.

Regardless of whatever sort of system you put together, it always breaks down with "Shit. Where is Ronaldo if it breaks down?" He's the best finisher in the world but he isn't going to press players for 90 minutes. He isn't going to win defensive duels and he sure as hell is going to go missing from his assigned role in search for a goal at some point in the game.

That's why Sarri's system was highly regimented on the left hand side, loose on the right last season and very stodgy at points.

Ronaldo was given the role of a striker (which he completely disregarded and did whatever) so Matuidi/Rabiot (two incredibly intelligent midfielders who are used to covering Mbappe's random jaunts and tactical naivity) were given the role in midfield to deal with the random shit that popped up when Ronaldo didn't do any pressing/went MIA and Sandro was a lot more restricted as a LB than Cuadrado was at RB last season because he had to cover.

When it comes to Dybala, he had incredible stats last season because he was switching with Ramsey (the right sided shuttle runner in a midfield three/RCM in a diamond) all the time and they completely flummoxed defenders. Today Ramsey was playing on the right wing in a 4-4-2 and Dybala wasn't on the pitch.
Another great post mate, I think the fact there is no fans has certainly given Pirlo breathing room he normally wouldn’t have had!.

Inter will change their name and badge, no doubt to appeal to some American or Chinese investors...

Vomit inducing
Aw ffs, I hate modern football.

Inter seemingly in financial turmoil, haven’t paid players in 4 months & haven’t paid Madrid for Hakimi’s first instalment.

Last edited:
Thats mad about Inter, fancied them to kick on from last night and win the league too but that could be a spanner in the works

Vomit inducing
Fùck modern football

Found myself watching more and more Italian football lately. Used to love it back in the C4 days but fell away from it. i find the Premiership boring and the only other football other than us i have been watching is Serie A and the odd Bundesliga game.

The whole Inter thing stinks of how Americanised football has become, I love American Football but i hate how easy it is for them to just relocate teams, rebrand them despite that teams history. The whole franchise thing does my head in.

Transfer news

- Tomori to Milan TBC in a few days, loan deal with €30m option to buy
- Milik to Marseille is on the cards, €8m + add ons (ludicrous). Ironing out the re-sale%
- Mandzukic signing a 6-18month deal with Milan
- Rumours of Eriksen returning your Spurs

Source: Romano.

If Milik is that cheap Rangers should break the bank for him!. Mandzukic is one of my favourite players, but surely he’s done by now.

I naively thought that Inter was weathering the financial consequences from Covid better than their rivals. The "re-branding" smacks of desperation, or, being used as an excuse for the marketing guys to get their way.

All in all, this is depressing news and quite rightly, I'm guessing it won't go down well with the supporters, they went mental a few years ago when a little bit of red was added to an away shirt.

Transfer news

- Tomori to Milan TBC in a few days, loan deal with €30m option to buy
- Milik to Marseille is on the cards, €8m + add ons (ludicrous). Ironing out the re-sale%
- Mandzukic signing a 6-18month deal with Milan
- Rumours of Eriksen returning your Spurs

Source: Romano.

If Milik is that cheap Rangers should break the bank for him!. Mandzukic is one of my favourite players, but surely he’s done by now.
Eriksen back to Spurs - I'd be surprised at that considering the circumstances he left under.

Mourinho and Levy weren't best pleased with his actions going by the All or Nothing series. Basically threw Spurs under the bus as well.

Eriksen back to Spurs - I'd be surprised at that considering the circumstances he left under.

Mourinho and Levy weren't best pleased with his actions going by the All or Nothing series. Basically threw Spurs under the bus as well.
Agreed mate, can’t see that.

Milik is better than OM.

Cagliari v Milan 19:45, huge game as Inter are level on points.

Milan missing quite a few players & will have to play a rusty Zlatan up front, I see them winning narrowly.

Cagliari have some good players & can score goals.

2-0.

Godin is a weird one isn't he?. I remember watching him at Atletico and thinking he was potentially at one point the best centre half in Europe. Not really happened for him in Italy yet. Maybe he's just done thoughts anyone?

Godin is a weird one isn't he?. I remember watching him at Atletico and thinking he was potentially at one point the best centre half in Europe. Not really happened for him in Italy yet. Maybe he's just done thoughts anyone?
He suffered at Inter IMO with Conte trying to play him as a ball playing centre half, he looked uncomfortable wandering into midfield.

Haven’t seen an awful lot at Cagliari, but he’s 34 now & looks like he’s beginning to wind down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back