20 footballers blown away by Ibrox atmosphere

First game in the stands for us. Players won’t need to kick off. The roar will do it for them :))

You can bet the Braga players got a proper shock when the 2nd and 3rd goals went in. They normally play in front of a morgue.
Braga were a really decent side, but after the Ibrox crowd responded to the Rangers team making a comeback, I am convinced that it was game set and match for the return tie, as the Ibrox crowd had done enough to unnerve the Braga players into believing they maybe weren't good enough to beat a football club backed by such a magnificent support.

We should never dismiss our ability as a support to influence a football match or even a tie.
That is why I have always believed in the follow-follow mantra of the Rangers support and always will.
I know the arguments for denying hated rivals funding, bit the true thing that separates Rangers from most clubs is the support and the reality that we follow no matter where the team are playing.

Our support are just fckn awesome.

Last edited:
Braga were a really decent side, but after the Ibrox crowd responded to the Rangers team making a comeback, I am convinced that it was game set and match for the return tie, as the Ibrox crowd had done enough to unnerve the Braga players into believing they maybe weren't good enough to beat a football club backed by such a magnificent support.

We should never dismiss our ability as a support to influence a football match or even a tie.
That is why I have always believed in the follow-follow mantra or the Rangers support and always will.
I know the arguments for denying hated rivals funding, bit the true thing that separates Rangers from most clubs is the support and the reality that we follow no matter where the team are playing.

Our support are just fckn awesome.
Agree. Boycotting some away stadiums is putting hatred of another club ahead of the support for our own.

Great thread Recoba. Can’t wait to get back again. European nights are just immense re atmosphere.

I wonder what the Dynamo Kiev players made of it in '87.

I swear they were physically shaking coming down the tunnel...

That was the last night that I saw Ibrox over capacity. There were guys sitting in the passageways of the main stand. I was in section MRS with my dad, uncles and cousins and we could not sit as there was about 10 for every 8 seats. The enclosure was definitely over capacity that night and it seemed to take for ages to get away from the stadium for the sheer size of the crowd.

Leeds and Parma I'll never forget. Incredible.
I know we can't sing certain songs now, but there are older songs which just work on a big night. Would like to hear us sing more of

Born under a Union Flag
We shall not be moved
Derry's Walls
The Blue Flag
Follow Follow
Every other Saturday

Someone on here might remember it better than me but I read where Howard Wilkinson the Leeds gaffer in the BOB matches sat them down and tried to explain to them that they were about to play in an atmosphere that they were definately not used too.

That the noise will be like something they had never heard before that it will be a wall of noise for 90 minutes.

Atmosphere is dire except against Celtic or in Europe. Need to carry it into domestic games as well instead of getting on players’ backs. If we are playing good or bad we should be absolutely backing the team especially now.

That was the last night that I saw Ibrox over capacity. There were guys sitting in the passageways of the main stand. I was in section MRS with my dad, uncles and cousins and we could not sit as there was about 10 for every 8 seats. The enclosure was definitely over capacity that night and it seemed to take for ages to get away from the stadium for the sheer size of the crowd.
Is that why they narrowed the pitch then?

The stands were bursting at the seems... :D

I defo had my normal seat in GF red section...

Rangers' iconic atmosphere in quotes
Gianluigi Buffon

"Anfield, in Liverpool, that was one of the few stadiums - along with Rangers in Glasgow and Fenerbahce in Istanbul - where there was such commotion for the first 15-20 minutes that I had trouble concentrating."

Sami Khedira
"My first (Champions League) game was away at Glasgow Rangers and it was phenomenal.

"To this day it was the game with the most impressive atmosphere I have ever experienced.

"I immediately thought... 'this is very special indeed.'

"It had a unique atmosphere, you feel like the whole world is watching and I have loved the competition ever since."
Victor Valdes
"Celtic create a great atmosphere home and away but I still think the most intimidating stadium I have played in was when we played Rangers.

“There must be something about the city of Glasgow because they made so much noise. Normally as a goalkeeper you block out the noise of the fans but the noise they made that night was impossible to ignore.

“We had Henry, Ronaldinho, and Messi playing for us and I can’t think of another occasion when those three were on the same field and we didn’t score.

“Rangers fought like warriors that evening and I am sure a big part of their performance was down to the fans and the atmosphere they create for their players.”
Alessandro Del Piero

(Image: Reuters)
"What I remember... is the great welcome, the warmth of the crowd that pushes and sings for 90 minutes for his team but applauds and respects the opponent.
"I went out with lots of applause, and it was a great honour for me."
Gary Neville

"The loudest atmosphere that I have known, compared to any English ground away from home.

"There have been certain nights at Old Trafford in European games - the ones against Juventus come to mind - when the atmosphere was incredible.

"But this was definitely up there with the best. It was fantastic.

"When we came out at the start I was looking around me and I saw people in the directors’ box jumping up singing and I was wondering what was happening. It is not usually like that."
Thierry Henry

(Image: Daily Record)
"I know the atmosphere that's generated here and that makes it tough for any team. I thought the fans were unbelievable again.
"They were not swearing or shouting stupid things, they pushed their team forward and that's great to see."
Marcos Senna
"Usually players don't even hear supporters when we play but it was impossible to ignore the crowd in Glasgow.
"When they scored, the noise was amazing, incredible."
Lotthar Mattheus
"I remember playing once against Rangers in Glasgow. The atmosphere, it was incredible."
Didier Drogba
"Ooh la la! The atmosphere at Ibrox is absolutely magical. To my way of appreciating football, its truly really beautiful. That's how to support your team!"
Ruud van Nistelrooy
"I'll never forget that night we played there. The atmosphere was unbelievable, very hostile."

Lionel Letizi
"I'd been told about the incredible atmosphere but could not believe how loud it was.
"When we arrived and walked out on to the pitch, the stadium was empty because we were early.
"We went back inside to change and when we walked into the tunnel we could hear a rumbling noise.
"And when we went back on to the pitch I could not believe my ears. The sound was terrifying and the game had not even started yet.
"I then had to walk to my goal and when the referee blew his whistle to start the match the sound which came from the stand at my back almost knocked me over."
Dado Prso
"The atmosphere was incomparable, and I had goosebumps throughout the match.
"Since then, I have never experienced anything as intense in any of the other European stadia I've played football in. Rangers are the club I needed to join."
Giovanni van Bronckhorst
"It is not just made up that players can suffer from an intimidating atmosphere when they play at visiting grounds.
"I know from Ruud (Ruud van Nistelrooy) that when we beat PSV at Ibrox in the Champions League he thought it was very frightening. He said it was one of the most atmospheric matches he had ever experienced."
Frank Lampard
"The Rangers fans were awesome, all the lads were talking about it.
"With that kind of backing from their crowd, they will be hard to beat."
Claudio Reyna

(Image: Daily Record)
"The noise volume walking out of the tunnel (for the Parma game) is something I will never forget. I never recall another time in my career when the opposing players were all looking at each other in disbelief at the stadium shaking.
"Players like Buffon, Thuram, Ortega, World Cup winners who were just chuckling to each other as they looked around going ‘wow, this is unbelievable’."
Phil Neville
"I must confess that despite my career having taken me to some unbelievable sporting arenas around the world and having savoured remarkable atmospheres, playing at Ibrox was one of the best experiences of my life.
"When the Champions League anthem played the hairs on the back of my neck literally stood straight up and I have never, ever heard noise like that crowd made."
Clarence Seedorf
"The fans were fantastic; it's a beautiful stadium, great pitch - the perfect atmosphere for a football match."
Fabrizio Ravanelli
"I love Scotland because I love the football culture.
"When I was at Juventus, we played against Rangers and I just always remembered this incredible, fantastic, burning atmosphere."
Hernan Crespo
"I've played at Ibrox - the atmosphere in Scottish stadiums is sensational."
Gaizka Mendieta

"We played Rangers at home and it was an incredible atmosphere. We played very well.
"The return game was at Ibrox and the atmosphere was incredible again. The game itself was very exciting. [At half-time] there was a two-goal difference but it felt like it was 0-0 [laughing] because of the way they were playing and the way the fans were behind them, it was incredible."

Top thread mate.

Leeds Utd is the best I've ever experienced although there's been a few that really standout. Sheep league decider, Parma, Dunfermline, Stuttgart and the semi final v the Beggars were all amazing.

Reactions: TQ3
I was at most of the game where these players commented and the euro nights at our home are fantastic.

Fast forward to the Saturday Afternoon against Falkirk when its 0-0 at 40 minutes and someone doesnt control the passed ball and it goes out for a throw in :D
Hahaha, me too and I’ve probably joined in.
The next game after a euro night is always a bit more subdued. These things happen when you’re playing the cream one night and the dross the next!

As much as when we are at our best we are unbeatable I find it extremely bewildering how we manage to back the lads to the hilt in friendly matches like the one against Chelsea yet when it comes to crucial league games against the lesser teams we continually make life difficult for our team.

Kind of goes against the saying that ‘it’s all about the Rangers’

When that CL music hits it does send shivers down your spine. the EL song isn't as good. I remember as a kid playing Champions league 99-00 on playstation and we feature in the video for it, but that song along with the Ibrox roar is probably the most spectacular sound in the world.

Those Drogba comments are from the time we played Chelsea in a friendly at Ibrox I'm sure.

I have never in all my days following Rangers experienced an atmosphere like that for a pre season friendly and when Sebo came on and scored the f.ucking place went mental!

A FRIENDLY GAME!!!
Sun was beaming down, was great to see guys like Lamps and Drogba as well, Atmosphere was incredible

When that CL music hits it does send shivers down your spine. the EL song isn't as good. I remember as a kid playing Champions league 99-00 on playstation and we feature in the video for it, but that song along with the Ibrox roar is probably the most spectacular sound in the world.
I remember Kevin Kuranyi I think it was playing for Stuttgart against us at Ibrox in 2003 and the look on his face was priceless when the champions league music was played at the start. He looked at a team mate in amazement as the noise was deafening.

Have seen most of the quotes before but not all of Reyna's where he talks about the Parma players having a laugh at the start.

Also remember watching on TV the Rangers Valencia game that Mendietta talks about. I remember thinking the Rangers crowd were great that night. There may have been more singing at some other games but that night it just seemed to be roar after roar driving the team on with hardly any lull in the noise.

And what a performance from Mendietta - one of the best performances I've seen from an away player at Ibrox.
Was at the games you mention. I went to both Valencia games, home and away. Mendietta was class. All the hype beforehand had been about Claudio Lopez but Mendietta stole the show.

Wonder what the Leeds Utd, Marseilles or Dynamo Kiev players made of it.
Was doing a social media piece with Marcel and he was having a conversation with Marseille and Leipzig fans last week, they started talking about the atmosphere in the Velodrome and the 12th man and all that, when Marcel came out with this:

"I played once in this stadium. It was in Ibrox park we played against Glasgow rangers. And I remember that the biggest surprise to me was that the crowd was making some noise as I have never experienced. I can picture myself trying to scream on the pitch and i couldn't even hear my own voice. It was like an hallucination, it was so noisy. We lead 2-0 at half time, and when we started the second half, it started raining, and the fans started screaming and whistling.. I've never seen something like this ever again, it was the most impressive atmosphere in all my career"

This was taken from a thread on here, but I can’t remember who it was that posted it, but I can’t take any credit for it.

There is no question about it. Ibrox generates an atmosphere on big European nights that is like nothing else in Europe.

The stadium design and our amazing fans bottles the noise in. It’s a really special place to watch football.

We know how lucky we are.
The Ibrox atmosphere is incredible when fans are up for it, sadly that’s no where near often enough

We’re in some position going into tomorrow nights game - every single fan needs to back the team vocally and not leave it to BF1/2

Let’s create an atmosphere that we’re talking about for years to come

Kiev is the loudest ive ever heard Ibrox and i include games against that mhob

Parma comes a close second

Agreed about the Kiev game. It was utterly astonishing to be in there that night. Amazing atmosphere.

Another that sticks in my mind was the title decider v the sheep. The Hateley double game. The atmosphere inside the stadium from way before kick off was off the scale.

There really is no place like Ibrox for those once in a decade type amazing atmosphere nights. Tomorrow could easily be another one :))

There is no question about it. Ibrox generates an atmosphere on big European nights that is like nothing else in Europe.

The stadium design and our amazing fans bottles the noise in. It’s a really special place to watch football.

We know how lucky we are.

Loved the CL games when you had the fans drowning out the CL music. Must be some buzz as a player.

Agreed about the Kiev game. It was utterly astonishing to be in there that night. Amazing atmosphere.

Another that sticks in my mind was the title decider v the sheep. The Hateley double game. The atmosphere inside the stadium from way before kick off was off the scale.

There really is no place like Ibrox for those once in a decade type amazing atmosphere nights. Tomorrow could easily be another one :))

The best ever for me Arminius.

Can’t wait to get in there tomorrow night. Sent this thread onto a few.

It doesn’t happen domestically at all anymore , an old firm now is tame compared to even 20 years ago and positively lame compared to 40 years ago .

Europe is the only night at Ibrox where we will Perhaps continue to see any kind of proper atmosphere, for example recently rapid Vienna and Braga really decent . However I have my doubts we will ever recreate the likes of Leeds , Kiev or Parma at Ibrox . Society has changed and sadly the collective passion in football just isn’t there any more . Having said that even though diminished Ibrox still pisses on most Other european grounds For atmosphere so it’s all relative . It’s declined everywhere .
Think that’s right. Rangers especially have been ‘neutered’ a bit by modern stuff.
People will argue for and against it, but some of the best songs are gone.
Not been to a big game at Ibrox for years, but remember when I was young one of the Aberdeen league cup wins late 80s….after we won durrant on cammy fraser’s shoulders coming over to the crowd punching the sir and singing to ‘Hullo, Hullo!!!’
Won’t be recreated-not just football though-different times. (Would have loved to have been around 60s/70sto be at old Ibrox in the big crowds)

The big European nights are unbeatable. Old Firm's are great, but there's usually too much at stake, or form has an effect. And the nerves can be unbearable at times.
The big Euro nights are the closest thing to a 'free hit' for us fans. And it's dark, the lights and music.

TBB during the Champions League anthem was always incredible.

Ibrox will be rocking tomorrow night.

Back