20 years ago we were going toe to toe with Bayern.

To be fair we've had the better of Porto, Feyenoord, potentially Braga. Not quite the same level as that Bayern and Dortmund teams but still top class European teams.
Those 3 teams are miles short of that Bayern team who were minutes away from being defending champs and won it the following year.

We would be lucky to keep it under 10 if we played Bayern now in a 2 legged tie.

money talks. they have the money and we don't. I'd love to see someone put together the stats for football success associated with money spent on transfers and wages for the last 30 years. i'd be astonished if the money spent didnt equate to success more than 95% of the time.

The night Mols was injured in Munich I've never saw Bayern utterly raped like we did to them that night.

We utterly destroyed them without the result.

I still say we would of went close that season to maybe winning the Champions Leaugue.

The night Mols was injured in Munich I've never saw Bayern utterly raped like we did to them that night.

I still say we would of went close that season to maybe winning the Champions Leaugue.

just wish we'd seen that team with mols pump the scum

double figures wouldn't have been beyond us mols would have been scoring with every turn

The home game v Bayern was my first European night at Ibrox.

The place was absolutely rocking that night until Bayern equalized late on from a dodgy free kick.

Barry Ferguson up against lothar Matthaus and bossed him. Matthaus got so wound up in the Ibrox game he had him by the throat at one point.
The horrible bastard tried to poke Ferguson’s eyes out.

Ferguson was f()cking immense. I’d give my right nut to have a player and captain like Barry Ferguson again.

The home game v Bayern was my first European night at Ibrox.

The place was absolutely rocking that night until Bayern equalized late on from a dodgy free kick.

That whole CL campaign had some great nights, although some disappointments.

Looking back I can also appreciate that Valencia performance at Ibrox.

On a personal level - great memories for me with my dad - those games stick out for me with another few in amongst the 100s of games we went to together.

7 years ago we were going toe to toe with Elgin and East Stirlingshire. Now we have a 3-2 lead in the last 32 against Braga after having the better of Feyenoord and Porto. What’s your point caller?

Many would do well to remember this when measuring were we are compared to X amount of years ago.

That whole CL campaign had some great nights, although some disappointments.

Looking back I can also appreciate that Valencia performance at Ibrox.

On a personal level - great memories for me with my dad - those games stick out for me with another few in amongst the 100s of games we went to together.
Mendieta’s performance was one of the best I’ve ever seen at Ibrox. Amazing.

Football in a global sense has changed radically. In those days we could go toe to toe but the gap between clubs like Bayern and us has stretched to new levels due to tv money

Their goalkeeper broke me that night along with the injury to mols.

Those 3 teams are miles short of that Bayern team who were minutes away from being defending champs and won it the following year.

We would be lucky to keep it under 10 if we played Bayern now in a 2 legged tie.

Considering how much football has changed in 20 years regarding finances etc it really shouldn't be a surprise. The likes of Bournemouth in the EPL get a 90 million quid plus start on us every season.

Changed days indeed, be grateful for what you saw - many of the young will never experience anything like it.

I was in the Bayern End that night absolutely shitting myself in amoung some of the hardest looking men ive ever seen, skinheads all around me most with barcodes on their heads

We got pelted with all kinds when we scored

That big Stefan Effenberg was a big, nasty effin' b***ard!
effe8-1430730921.jpg

Changed days in terms of the fact that transfer fees are utterly insane.
Yeah unfortunately it’s a differently world we operate in now , we are scraping the barrel making signings like Barker , looking for cheap development fee players like Aribo or loaning Kamberi and Ojo. The elite teams can spend 30/40 million just for a squad player not even a starting 11.

Watched the highlights of that for the first time just now, had no idea we were such a match for the heavyweights back then, was only 2 at the time so have only heard the stories of that era

Sad the way tv money has fecked it up for everyone else outwith the big 5 countries in europe.

Even had an effect on south american football.

I am sure someone will know this,
Has any team beaten us by 3 goals under Gerrard?
I can't think of any
Very few times beaten by 2 either - usually a late goal chasing a game
See no basis for thinking we'd lose by 5 goals twice against anyone

Watched the highlights of that for the first time just now, had no idea we were such a match for the heavyweights back then, was only 2 at the time so have only heard the stories of that era

I was at the game and had it not been for effenbergs dive we'd have beat them. The away leg was just as heartbreaking when Kahn clattered mols

Porto progressed further in the Champions League last year than Bayern did, and the squads are still fairly similar.

Let’s not be silly.

Some of the best football we've played in my lifetime with that team. Great to watch. Still talk about that midfield.

The draw at home gets mentioned a lot but think the game in Munich is often forgotten- we outplayed them and should have won. An unlucky night for a number of reasons.

Remember it like it was yesterday . Us standing in the govan holding our breath as Tarnats free kick looped past charbonnier like slow motion . You just knew that last minute free kick was going in .

Then I had my best away trip ever , 4 days in Munich , magical but for the result , how well we played , but alas just not to be .

soccer-uefa-champions-league-group-f-rangers-v-bayern-munich-G9885M.jpg

Not a bad looking team eh? To be honest that photo could make me greet, I’d give anything for players of that calibre now.

Even the kit is utterly immense , the right blue , plain and classy , even that goalie strip with the blue band , simply oozes quality .

heady times .

Back