2002 scottish cup final v them

Having been so used to Crocker's SKY commentary for the goal, that was a bit odd hearing McLean. Not as exciting.

In today’s football, Hartson and Balde would have been red-carded and Thomson, Sutton and Lennon would all have had early yellows. Celtic were thuggish but that was standard practice under O’Neil.

I didn't watch it tonight. But the ref, Dallas in the first half actually pulls up Fartson for the use of an elbow on Craig Moore he demonstrates what he did and allowed him to get away with it.

It is actually incredible what the filth in the hoops and in black get away with. All because we don't shout out.

Fantastic performance! Barry's best game? Definitely up there! They really must have hated Lovenkrands!

Lovenkrands didn't quite have the Scottish accent he does now during interview... but he was getting there

Watched it brought back all the great memories. I was 11 years old this day and remember it like it was yesterday. Running up and down the street screaming and shouting like a lunatic when we won the cup. Can’t wait to have those days back again!

I remembered very little about that game other than the goals and Fergie running all over their midfield .no time to enjoy it or take it in at the time.nerves were wrecked till the winner hit the onion bag

Dug out my ticket for the game. Brings back memories of the pandemonium for the winner

Badly miss a Ferguson type player constantly on people’s cases , a right moany **stard but also a quality midfielder. Not scared of a challenge either.

I didn't watch it tonight. But the ref, Dallas in the first half actually pulls up Fartson for the use of an elbow on Craig Moore he demonstrates what he did and allowed him to get away with it.

It is actually incredible what the filth in the hoops and in black get away with. All because we don't shout out.
Maybe it's because we didnt have players rolling about trying to get others sent off.

Getting on with it, used to be a good thing in the game.

Great watch
We struggled in the air against them big style though
How the feck did Balde stay on the park

Lennon is fatter than me

I hadn’t seen that many union flags since last night at the proms.....brilliant!

Golden Jubilee mate and they were selling them everywhere outside the ground.

Looked like every 2nd Bear bought one, including myself.

What exactly did they do wrong in that commentary. Said it wasnt a penalty with Larsson, said it was a penalty with loverkrands. Best team won.

TV coverage was better. Posted that earlier, no 20 angles looking for a stick to beat the officials with. Was all about the game, the way it should be, not about controversy like we get nowadays.
Eric Black spent the first half making comments like a fan. He came round as it was clear that Rangers were on top but his colours were showing early on, particularly when Ricksen was fouled and he said he brought it on himself.

Loved watching that last night.
Have to say, thought RdB was a bit of a passenger. Lovenkrands was missing for long periods also.
Barry Ferguson - by far the best player on the pitch. Say what you will about him now, but he was top class. big Amo in about it all over the pitch as well. Numan and mccann on the left giving timmy a roasting.
From their point of view - larrsson was posted missing, hartson should have been sent off, Big sutton saved them a few times with some decent defending!!!

A decent watch fir a Sunday evening.

Although less than 20 years ago the limits of what tackles you could dive into have reduced considerably.

A great watch. Had forgotten a lot of the game apart from the goals.
Surprised me how calm Lovenkrands seemed after scoring the winner in the dying seconds. Almost shock.
Also noticed at every free kick there always seemed to be 3 or 4 players wanting to take it. Doesn’t seem to be the case now.

I was right behind our goal in row B or C that day & when the header hit the ground everyone around just sort of froze because we didn't know if it was going over the bar. Then in a split second I could see our end of the main stand & the big enclosure starting to jump and then it was just bedlam.
Incidently it really showed that O'Neil's team was a bunch of thugs.

That was amazing last night and the memories, whit a day that was.Arriving at hampden with nae windys left on the bus after the driver took a wrong turn and we ended up going by the brazenhead. The scum smashes them and there was a good few of the preisthole plungers who got a hiding.

Then when the winner goes in, Me ma da an boab are on the tv going crazy with the cameras on us. We were on the advert for years.

Then going back to clydebank and faifley later on that night, tims lying all over the place.magic.

Loved watching that last night. Great follow up to watching the killie game as live on Saturday.
Happier times!

If the game had gone to extra time we would have absolutely destroyed them.they were blowing out of their arses from when Barry scored the equalizer.i think we would have scored two or three goals in extra time

Last edited:
I was right behind our goal in row B or C that day & when the header hit the ground everyone around just sort of froze because we didn't know if it was going over the bar. Then in a split second I could see our end of the main stand & the big enclosure starting to jump and then it was just bedlam.
Incidently it really showed that O'Neil's team was a bunch of thugs.
exactly this. Mjallby , balde, hartson, sutton and thompson - some of the challenges from them were disgraceful.
For fairness- craig Moore got a few meaty ones in also!!!

Eric Black spent the first half making comments like a fan. He came round as it was clear that Rangers were on top but his colours were showing early on, particularly when Ricksen was fouled and he said he brought it on himself.
You've spent too long on commentator watch.

Really enjoyed watching that. Strange how you don't remember a lot of things that happened after all these years. Barry Ferguson's greatest game.How good was he,controlled everything and everyone. Even Maurice Ross looked like one for the future.
One thing really sticks out from watching that game and all games from then was the absence of the sneeky,.snidey dirty,cowardly habit of players deliberately stamping on other players feet and getting away without punishment.A horrible tactic and one that crept into our game and use by all the wee fanny players who are not good enough to tackle fairly. Would like to know when this habit was brought into scotshit football and by whom.Aberdeen would be my guess.Anyone with any ideas.

Back