Substitutes
  • 25 Alexander,
  • 23 McMillan,
  • 27 Wylde,
  • 32 Perry,
  • 10 Fleck,
  • 11 Lafferty,
  • 15 Healy
Was looking back with a mate at the result away to Maribor which was more or less the same stage we are going into in Europe tomorrow night, back in 2011 in the season we went into admin.
We think we have a stronger team going into the Legia game, which is indicative of how far The Manager has taken us.
How do you think this squad compares to what we are going to see tomorrow night?

• 01 McGregor
  • 02 Goian
  • 04 Broadfoot
  • 12 Wallace
  • 17 Ortiz
  • 18 Bocanegra
  • 06 McCulloch
  • 07 Edu
  • 08 Davis
  • 09 Jelavic
  • 14 Naismith
Substitutes
  • 25 Alexander,
  • 23 McMillan,
  • 27 Wylde,
  • 32 Perry,
  • 10 Fleck,
  • 11 Lafferty,
  • 15 Healy
Was looking back with a mate at the result away to Maribor which was more or less the same stage we are going into in Europe tomorrow night, back in 2011 in the season we went into admin.
We think we have a stronger team going into the Legia game, which is indicative of how far The Manager has taken us.
How do you think this squad compares to what we are going to see tomorrow night?

Both are excellent teams

Bench is night and day better for 2019! Surprised how bad that bench is.

Prime Davis was brilliant and he'd be our best midfielder now.

Although he's a dick I'd say Naismith of that time played a similar role to Arfield does now for us but at a better standard.

I don't think that overall you are wrong that this team is better even though it seems weird.

Both are excellent teams

Undoubtedly, however the quality on the bench that night left a lot to be desired imo. Particularly defensive players.
Bocanegra had literally just signed and played in place of the injured Bartley. Questions over McCulloch's fitness as he was brought in in favour of Jamie Ness in midfield.

Be a better comparison for the year before because that team achieved what this one desperately needs to.

I genuinely don’t think there’s much in it.

Good post.

I think our team now would dominate possession and create more chances but the 2011 team under Walter and Mccoist would be more defensively sound and could hit on the break could go either way imo

Jelavic and Naismith (prime) would walk in to our starting 11 just now. Davis and McGregor stay where they are but the rest I would take from the current team

I think we have a marginally stronger team (and a considerably stronger bench) than we had then. I was at both legs (was living in Slovenia at the time) and it was a last minute goal we conceded over there and we had a poor draw at Ibrox. It's maybe a lesson because we were unplayable in the first half over there but slackened off badly in the second half. We need to keep playing with intensity even if we manage the first goal.

The two things the 2011 team had over this years is:

1. A proven manager and leader at the helm who knew how to win league titles.
2. Players who were at the top of their game both domestically and internationally.

This years team has started well but I do wonder about its ability to deal with the tough months of November through February if I'm being honest.

Fingers crossed they have it!

The two things the 2011 team had over this years is:

1. A proven manager and leader at the helm who knew how to win league titles.
2. Players who were at the top of their game both domestically and internationally.

This years team has started well but I do wonder about its ability to deal with the tough months of November through February if I'm being honest.

Fingers crossed they have it!

Ally McCoist was the manager!

• 01 McGregor
  • 02 Goian
  • 04 Broadfoot
  • 12 Wallace
  • 17 Ortiz
  • 18 Bocanegra
  • 06 McCulloch
  • 07 Edu
  • 08 Davis
  • 09 Jelavic
  • 14 Naismith
Substitutes
  • 25 Alexander,
  • 23 McMillan,
  • 27 Wylde,
  • 32 Perry,
  • 10 Fleck,
  • 11 Lafferty,
  • 15 Healy

This post is a bit misleading, I think.

That squad looks incredibly weak but the bulk of them had just won the league under the greatest modern manager in Scottish history.

We may have a stronger squad now, but it was a sign of how great Smith was that he won a league and League Cup with a squad that included some of these guys.

I also think Smith would have won the league last year with the same squad that Gerrard failed to win it with.

Jelavic and Naismith (prime) would walk in to our starting 11 just now. Davis and McGregor stay where they are but the rest I would take from the current team
Jelavic or Morelos? Not as clear cut as you make it sound. Ditto Naismith v Arfield. As others have said, the real difference is Walter’s tactical genius.

I'd actually say our current team looks stronger than 2011 team. 2011 defence doesnt look great and midfield is weaker with Edu and Ortiz.

I would actually have Davis of these days. People forget back then Davis came under a lot of criticism for being rather passive. Not taking control and driving the team. I see that leader in 2019.

Only Naismith, Jelavic and Wallace walk in to 2019 team for me

Back