2021/22 squad planning

Madjid Moments

Been thinking about the future and planning for next season. I think we will have a lot of movement this summer both out and in to the club.

Players Out
-Defoe- end of contract, wage saving
-Stewart-, end of contract, wage saving
-Zungu- end of loan, wage saving
-Barjonas- end of contract, wage saving
-Firth- end of contract, wage saving

-Jones- sell
-Edmundson-sell
-Barker- sell

- a centre half to either be sold or loaned out, most likely Katic on loan.

Possible sales- most valuable assets:
Morelos
Barisic
Kamara
Goldson
Aribo
Hagi
Kent
Tavernier

I think we will sell 1 or 2 big players. This was add to what we need in terms of players into the club.

In my opinion Barisic will be one player to go due to age, value and platform at the euros.

Question marks:
-McGregor and Davis (Need to determine if both want to continue)

-Middleton- ? I’d sell but others will say he gets another chance

-McCrorie- ? Does he have a future at club as contracted to 2023

Players In
-Long term Davis replacement
-Striker to replace Defoe (3rd/4th choice)
-Versatile front player who can play left or right as competition for front places
-Ofoborh- will join the club (pre contract)
-Replace whoever is sold from list above as noted above.

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Last edited:
Think we will sell 2 main players for good money this summer.

We have kept all our main players up to this point which is brilliant but financially unsustainable. Think it was mentioned at a previous AGM that as part of the business model we would have to sell players like most clubs do.

We will be actively looking for cheaper similar players to develop and sell on in the future.

Good thing is we will be able to attract more players due to Champions league football and that will also help hugely financially.

I think the priority obviously has to be Tav and Goldson signed up again, even of its only adding a couple of years to existing contracts. I have no doubt those discussions will start the second this season is finished. If either of them wants to move on they have to be sold in the summer, would be gutted to see either go but wouldn’t begrudge them wanting a crack down south.

It's going to be interesting how we approach this summer..

Do we wait to see if we make the CL before we spend our budget and maybe attract better calibre of player??

Or do the board put faith in Gerrard and front up the money to give us a better chance of qualification which is obviously more risky??

Either way for me we need..

Central midfielder X2.. long term replacements for Scott Arfield & Steven Davis.

I'm a big fan of Hagi but I'd like to see a right sided version of Kent to give us another option.. someone who'll run at players with pace.

Other than that it's mainly just fine tuning the squad in my opinion.

If we sell one of our main men for big money then I'd expect a decent chunk of that money to be spent on a replacement.

It's going to be interesting how we approach this summer..

Do we wait to see if we make the CL before we spend our budget and maybe attract better calibre of player??

Or do the board put faith in Gerrard and front up the money to give us a better chance of qualification which is obviously more risky??

Either way for me we need..

Central midfielder X2.. long term replacements for Scott Arfield & Steven Davis.

I'm a big fan of Hagi but I'd like to see a right sided version of Kent to give us another option.. someone who'll run at players with pace.

Other than that it's mainly just fine timing the squad in my opinion.

If we sell one of our main men for big money then I'd expect a decent chunk of that money to be spent on a replacement.

Would like to see Kent - Morelos - Wright as a front 3. pace and trickery on both sides.

If Hagi had pace he would be unstoppable

I’ve read a lot of people say we will have to sell two big names. Maybe we will, but getting into the group stages of the champions league would bring in more money than we’d get for any two players (excluding Alfie) so that should be the focus imo.

Been thinking about the future and planning for next season. I think we will have a lot of movement this summer both out and in to the club.

Players Out

-Jones- sell
-Edmundson-sell
-Barker- sell

Morelos
Barisic
Kamara
Goldson
Aribo
Hagi
Kent
Tavernier

I think we will sell 1 or 2 big players. This was add to what we need in terms of players into the club.

In my opinion Barisic will be one player to go due to age, value and platform at the euros.

Question marks:

Players In
-Versatile front player who can play left or right as competition for front places

I'd have McCrorie,Kelly and Kennedy as part of the squad this season.
I'd loan Ofoborh and Katic out.
As you say I think one or two may leave,possibly Barisic and Kamara after a good Euros.
Really hope Tav,Goldson,Davis and McGregor sign new deals.

IF that were all to happen,I'd expect maybe;

New LB (Melling type)
New DM ?
New CM ?
Attacker that can play across the front (Sakala type)

For me - to compete in the champions league we need a couple of players who will give us a bit more aggression and power and can cover the yards/ space across the pitch quicker. I reckon this would take out tactics to the next level, especially in the SPL.

We have a talented midfield three but I always feel they look pretty small and lightweight when up against Champions League Level teams, such as Galatasaray when we played them.

On top of this I like the look of Nesbit at Hibs and the guy Sakala from Belgium (though only read what other poster have reported on here).

Also hope that a few of the youth players come to the fore. Kelly, Patterson, Kennedy?

I think we need someone that will cover Jack as it would appear that he is going to miss a good few games each season

I thought part of the Wright deal that McCrorie's move was now permanent. Either way, he won't play for us again. Don't see Middleton coming back either, unless Kent goes.

In order of importance for me:
1. We need to sort out contracts for Tav/Goldson/Davis/Mcgregor if not they need replaced
2. We will probably have a big sale whoever is sold needs replaced (I think Morelos is most likely)
3.Oforboh can take Zungus role and Kelly can come back as more cover for an aging Davis or Injury prone Jack
4. If we make UCL maybe spend a bit of money on someone with qualities that the rest of players don't have.
5.I also think Kennedy should be in the squad this year to take the place of Stewart as he's out of contract Jones and Barker will probably leave also

Irrespective of sales, we need 2 new central midfielders.

Find a new Davis to allow for a transition.

Cover for RJ. He can’t play 50 games a season. He’s good for half of them.

Irrespective of sales, we need 2 new central midfielders.

Find a bee Davis.

Cover for RJ.
I think crucially we need to identify the long term replacement for Davis.

Also with Jack effectively managed and injury prone and Arfield having a few injuries too we need to invest in the midfield.

Goldson and Tav entering the final yr of their contracts and no new deal signed yet is at the front of my thoughts in terms of future planning.
Think both will sign news deals, probably waiting till after league is won. Both will want a crack at the CL, they won't get it going down south. Picking up trophies is what players want to do and this season will give them that taste. They'll be looking at the chaos across the city and be thinking that unless they make big changes then we should be winning the league next season too.

Covering the Davis role is first priority, IMO. Still a great player but will be a year older (like us all) and closer to hanging up the boots. Zungu is not the answer. Jack's fragility and Arfield's advancing years add to this concern. On the plus side, I think Scott Wright is going to be a gem - could develop a great tandem relationship with Kent - and I'm looking forward to young Kelly returning from loan and competing for a place.

Players Out

-Jones- sell
-Edmundson-sell
-Barker- sell

Morelos
Barisic
Kamara
Goldson
Aribo
Hagi
Kent
Tavernier

Question marks:

Players In

Its a difficult one. We need to strengthen but really only need to look for a davis replacement immediately.
Arfield nearing the end.

Barisic will either be sold now or kept as hes getting on a bit too.

Tav to stay hes only depreciating in value with his age but is too valuable to us to sell so I see him retiring at us.

I don't see anyone wanting to leave atm personally but then that's a biased opinion.

Back