2023 Challenge Cup Final

For the benefit of maybe three people on this forum who might be interested, the 30th Scottish Challenge Cup Final is being played this Sunday at the Falkirk Stadium, 4:15pm kick-off, and is being televised live on BBC Alba.

Raith Rovers versus Hamilton Academical

Although the competition has been running for 33 years, there have been two seasons when the competition was suspended, one for lack of sponsorship, and one for COVID. The pandemic also meant the final wasn’t played two years ago, and finalists Raith Rovers and Inverness Caledonian Thistle shared the trophy.

That means one of this year’s finalists, Raith, are going for their third trophy in a row. Their first win in 2014 we can gloss over; their win last season was over Queen of the South. So this is their third actual appearance in a final.

Accies have played in four finals, and this will be our fifth. Five finals, five venues, five opponents: v Ayr in Motherwell, v Morton in Paisley, v St Mirren in Airdrie, v Falkirk in Livingston, and now v Raith in Falkirk. The first two won, and the last two lost. Five finals in three decades might not be that many, but Accies were ineligible for ten seasons due to being in the top flight.

Raith are favourites, but put your mortgage, your wife and weans, and everything you own, on Accies causing an upset to lift our third trophy, 30 years after our last in 1993. You heard it here first.

what attendance is expected?

For the benefit of maybe three people on this forum who might be interested, the 30th Scottish Challenge Cup Final is being played this Sunday at the Falkirk Stadium, 4:15pm kick-off, and is being televised live on BBC Alba.

Although the competition has been running for 33 years, there have been two seasons when the competition was suspended, one for lack of sponsorship, and one for COVID. The pandemic also meant the final wasn’t played two years ago, and finalists Raith Rovers and Inverness Caledonian Thistle shared the trophy.

That means one of this year’s finalists, Raith, are going for their third trophy in a row. Their first win in 2014 we can gloss over; their win last season was over Queen of the South. So this is their third actual appearance in a final.

Accies have played in four finals, and this will be our fifth. Five finals, five venues, five opponents: v Ayr in Motherwell, v Morton in Paisley, v St Mirren in Airdrie, v Falkirk in Livingston, and now v Raith in Falkirk. The first two won, and the last two lost. Five finals in three decades might not be that many, but Accies were ineligible for ten seasons due to being in the top flight.

Raith are favourites, but put your mortgage, your wife and weans, and everything you own, on Accies causing an upset to lift our third trophy, 30 years after our last in 1993. You heard it here first.
My home town team so I’ll be there hopefully celebrating a win! Mon the Accies ⚪⚪

I remember when the trophy use to be a crystal decanter?

think it was sponsored by B&Q
067_479__accies_1492594721_standard.jpg

Hope hamilton get gubbed, cannot understand why a Hamilton fan hangs about a Rangers forum.
I wish I could encounter more fans of other clubs who didn’t immediately despise us as rangers fans and someone who can’t talk reasonably about football and politics without the needless trolling. And I wish half this forum had as strong an opinion and knowledge about the perils of nationalism as he does.

He’s a good lad and as far as I’m concerned he’s welcome here

Enjoy you day @academical we all deserve a cup final and a day out at some point.

Will be there taking pics.

I said Raith are favourites. That was a bit of an understatement. Raith are 3 places and 13 points ahead of Accies in the Championship, and have better form in the last five games. Here’s what other sites are saying:

Our analysis of all available data, including recent performances and player stats, suggests the most likely outcome of this match is a Raith Rovers win with a probability of 48.13%. A win for Hamilton Academicalhas a probability of 27.61% and a draw has a probability of 24.3%

Raith have won the last five encounters between the teams, going back over a year.

3 selections108.7%Back allLay all93.1%

Raith​

£45
£25
£62
£40
£23
£103

Hamilton​

£19
£97
£26
£62
£11
£23

The Draw​

£11
£13
£71
£41

£19
£10

Good luck mate. As one of my local teams I hope you do it!

That challenge cup final at easter rd gives me PTSD

It really was the lowest of all lows.

Embarrassed in the final of a trophy we were embarrassed about playing for in the first place.

F.uck me that day was the worst of all.

So for that, Hamilton have my support against Raith.

Hope hamilton get gubbed, cannot understand why a Hamilton fan hangs about a Rangers forum.

You don't have to hate everyone with every fibre of your being you know?

@academical is a great fella and I hope his team wins tomorrow like many others on here.

I've got a couple of Accies fans (the other two, actually) as friends and they're no friends of our rivals either so I cam be pleased for them if they do well in something which doesn't affect us at all.

Also, %^*& Turnbull Hutton, he's DEID!

Best of luck to you & your team Academical.

Have to say, Raith are very cynical in their approach to football.

Hope you do it.

Good luck for the game @academical ! As a kid, (old) Douglas Park was my favourite ground not called Ibrox. I fondly remember sunny afternoons sitting on the grassy slopes, hoping to witness Fergie in top form. My one cousin was an Accies fan and my first job was in the County Buildings. I hope there will be singing and dancing on the mean streets of Hamilton tomorrow!

To avoid talking to himself on the Accies forum???

He is more welcome than all the closet Tims.
Thanks.

I used to post a lot on AcciesWorld, but there’s tumbleweed blowing through that forum. To give you an idea, there were a few posts yesterday, but so far today, none - not a single post on a single thread.

I’ve also tried Pie and Bovril, but that’s a cesspit.

As I’ve said many times before, I think FollowFollow is the biggest and best football forum in Scotland, and most posters have always made me welcome. I’ve been posting here for more than 20 years.

Never thought I’d find reading something about Hamilton interesting, but here we are. You’ve a knack for the storytelling big chap! Good luck for tomorrow.

I like your confidence

Noo, if that was one of the regular punters like say winkie, then I'd keep my dosh firmly in my sky rocket.

Still not taking any shekels oot to punt on tomorrow's final never mind ma hoose..

That Easter Road cup final was a nightmare--went to the game with my son and a group of Rovers fans as we all live in the Kirkcaldy area. Had to take pelters on the way home and cancelled my night out. Absolute shambles of a performance

Got to wish you all the best on this one.
I’ve had a soft spot for Raith since, maybe the mid nineties, for some reason.

That's a pathetic post,the Hamilton fellow hasn't caused you any bother so why try and bring him down ?

Take a look at yourself ffs.

He's been here for a hell of a long time probably as long as you C.
Both “transferred” over on the same day which was the same day as yourself.
I must have been comatose that day as I didn’t post until the day after!

L-R Gary Clark, Colin Harris (goalscorer), George McCluskey, Chris Hillcoat, Jim Weir, Colin Miller, Andy Millen, Wolfie, Rab McCulloch, Paul McDonald, Kevin McKee.
Forgot Rab McCulloch played in that game. Shame as it was Allan Ferguson’s penalty heroics that got Accies to the final. Rab done a good job that season when I brought in from Albion Rovers (or Clyde ?) when it was clear Ferguson was out for the season. Can’t help think that Accies would have been promoted if Allan Ferguson hadn’t been injured. It was done to one goal after all. Thankfully Ferguson got a winners medal the next season against Morton.

Back