2030 UK/ROI World Cup bid, host cities and stadia.

Hillbear

With Johnson's statement the other day about a potential 5 way (no, not that one!) bid to host the WC which cities/stadia do you think would be used.
Looking at the 2026 WC set up there will be 16 host cities, if the UK & RoI are hosting there will likely be 8 in England, 3 in Scotland, 2 in ROI and Wales and probably one in NI, or something like that.

Probables: Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield, London (West Ham), Principality, Hampden, Aviva,
Possibles: Liberty (Swansea), St. James', Villa Park, Ibrox, Parkhead, Murrayfield, Windsor Park (small), Casement Park (GAA?), Etihad, Emirates, Stamford Bridge, Spurs, Stadium of Light, Hillsborough, Croke Park (GAA?), Thurles, Elland Road
Potential: Pittodrie (or new Sheep park..), Easter Road, New Everton, Riverside, Pride Park, Limerick, Cork, Healy Park (GAA?), Madjesjki, Ashton Gate, Carrow Road, Bolton, Stoke, Leicester, Coventry, Southampton

Cant see Glasgow having three stadiums used for this, two as a maximum, maybe even one, if FIFA want to head to the regions.
Is a UK/ROI bid likely to be entertained by FIFA, brown envelopes notwithstanding, but given there are 48 teams we would be likely to actually get an automatic spot as a host country!

I’ll just repost what I said on Monday. No need to limit yourself to 16 stadia in such a large tournament.

48 teams going into 16 groups. So I’d say 16 venues each hosting a group. You could even split it so games spread in London and Glasgow.

Wembley
London group (arsenal, Spurs, West Ham 1 each)
Glasgow (Ibrox, Hampden, piggery)
Edinburgh
Cardiff
Belfast (not sure on capacity)
Dublin
Liverpool
Manchester
Birmingham
Newcastle
Sunderland
Southampton
Leeds
Leicester
Choice of Sheffield, Bristol, Wolverhampton, Derby, Nottingham, stoke, hull, Brighton

Or you could take Wembley and Hampden out the groups (they will get final and third place match) and have 2 groups spread over the 3 London club grounds and 2 groups over the 3 scottish grounds left.

semi finals at Old Trafford and Cardiff

QFs at Wembley and 3 other biggest grounds not being used after.

There will also be a last 16 and last 32 KO round so other get used too.

if only 2 stadiums in glasgow are to be used I wonder which out of Ibrox, hampden and the sty will be omitted:rolleyes:

I’ll just repost what I said on Monday. No need to limit yourself to 16 stadia in such a large tournament.

48 teams going into 16 groups. So I’d say 16 venues each hosting a group. You could even split it so games spread in London and Glasgow.

Wembley
London group (arsenal, Spurs, West Ham 1 each)
Glasgow (Ibrox, Hampden, piggery)
Edinburgh
Cardiff
Belfast (not sure on capacity)
Dublin
Liverpool
Manchester
Birmingham
Newcastle
Sunderland
Southampton
Leeds
Leicester
Choice of Sheffield, Bristol, Wolverhampton, Derby, Nottingham, stoke, hull, Brighton

Or you could take Wembley and Hampden out the groups (they will get final and third place match) and have 2 groups spread over the 3 London club grounds and 2 groups over the 3 scottish grounds left.

semi finals at Old Trafford and Cardiff

QFs at Wembley and 3 other biggest grounds not being used after.

There will also be a last 16 and last 32 KO round so other get used too.
I know that when England bid for WC they included Plymouth in the bid

Was talking about this with my dad this afternoon, we came up with this:

London: Wembley, London Stadium, Emirates & White Hart Lane
Manchester: Ethiad, Old Trafford (both upgraded)
Glasgow: Hampden, Ibrox & PeadoPark (All upgraded - Hampden with ends coming closer to pitch and pitch lowered, Ibrox with a full 2nd tier, PeadoPlace with a new renovated main stand)
Cardiff: Millennium & City Stadium*
Isle of Ireland: Aviva & New Belfast Stadium
Others
Villa Park, Walkers Stadium*, New Aberdeen*, St James Park, Stadium of Light, Leeds* and Southampton*
*Upgrades needed.

Stadiums need to be of a 40,000 capacity, many in the UK are already there. Many will see upgrades, let’s not forget transport and infrastructure upgrades like airports and rail lines/stations and many other aspects in the country.

I support a World Cup bid for 2030.

Think the way FIFA work its as much about the citys themselves as the stadia. I also would be surprised if any city outside london gets more than one stadium, although obviously Glasgow manchester and Liverpool have the potential to do so. And given the cost of hosting the thing I reckon theyll stick to 16. Id also expect a fair few new stadia or big redevelopments.
So based on the size of the cities/ regional importance id guess- London x2
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Belfast
Cardiff
Dublin
Newcastle
Manchester
Leeds
Liverpool
Sheffield
BIrmingham
Then take your pick from smaller English cities, would probably be one on the south coast so Southampton maybe, Nottingham, Sunderland Bristol Leicester Wolverhampton would all be in with a shout.

I dont think any city outside London will have more than one stadium for the tournament.
London - Wembley, Emirates, Spurs & West Ham
Hampden
Murrayfield
Aviva
Principality
St James' or Stadium of Light
Anfield or new Everton
Old Trafford
Villa Park

If they want 16 stasdia add
King Power
St Mary's