21s vs wrexham, Ibrox, Saturday

International football?
I would rather watch a team of Rangers geriatrics playing walking football than what passes for an SFA eleven.
I would love to see more turn up for the Wrexham match than bother to attend Hampden for the game against Kazakhstan.
That would send out a great message.

I do hope they get a decent crowd, but I also hope the crowd have realistic expectations.

In a physical sense this will really be men against boys, If they get a handle on that which they eventually did against Solihull then they have a chance.

Like Solihull I would expect Wrexham to field a lot of fringe players, against St.Mirren Colts they fielded three regular starters.

I'll have a more in depth look later, but the two names that jumped out at me are, Adam Barton ex Partick Thistle and Dundee United and Leighton McInstosh, ex Dundee and a few League 1 and 2 teams in Scotland. Leighton played and scored for Rangers in an Under 18 game against Motherwell as a trialist a few years ago. I believe he opted to remain at Dundee despite offers from Rangers and Celtic.

International football?
I would rather watch a team of Rangers geriatrics playing walking football than what passes for an SFA eleven.
I would love to see more turn up for the Wrexham match than bother to attend Hampden for the game against Kazakhstan.
That would send out a great message.

How many will be at Hampden? 15-20k. Every chance that will be topped on Saturday at Ibrox.

We should had this game broadcast at half time last Thursday but wasted the opportunity for more of the support to see this game.

Poor show by someone in Ibrox.

Do you honestly think 20k+ will goto an U21s game at Ibrox against Wrexham?! Bit of a heavy weekend was it?
It depends upon how much the club push the match ... surely?
As a fairly inexpensive game to attend and one where it would be ideal to take the partner, the kids and perhaps a pal or two, then it becomes a matter of how much interest can be generated amidst the support.
I get your point of course, but this is no ordinary under-21 game, and the opposition at least should also generate some additional interest notwithstanding that our young team deserve all the support our fans can give them.

Should be a pay at gate yeah

We had some on here predicting a 50k full-house FFS. Lets be realistic here, its our Colts. Versus Wrexham. If we get 5k it will be a marvellous crowd. The attendances at the UEFA Youth Cup games have been under 2k. A slightly younger age group but it serves as a marker.

I'd love to see it into 5 figures but I just don't see it on a wet and freezing November day.

Last edited:
How many will be at Hampden? 15-20k. Every chance that will be topped on Saturday at Ibrox.
unlikely sadly

Been to a few of the youth games lately and generally around 1000 there, that was their European games.

I would expect for a Saturday at Ibrox maybe a crowd of around 5000 would be a good figure for them. Hopefully we get more, but would be shocked if so.

They’ll be quite a lot going once the UB confirm where they will be. Hopefully it’s in the Broomloan Front. I’ll buy a ticket once known.

They’ll be quite a lot going once the UB confirm where they will be. Hopefully it’s in the Broomloan Front. I’ll buy a ticket once known.

Could be their big chance to have a go in BF3. Or CF3 for that matter.

I'd imagine the Club will only open the Copland and/or Broomloan if the demand is there though. Ticket sales, right now, suggest they may stick with just the Govan.

Could be their big chance to have a go in BF3. Or CF3 for that matter.

I'd imagine the Club will only open the Copland and/or Broomloan if the demand is there though. Ticket sales, right now, suggest they may stick with just the Govan.
Should be in BF3, I really hope the club allows them a move and safe standing is implemented. The atmosphere would be terrific at every game.

No chance they’ll get a move to the Copland Front because the amount of folk that be up in arms despite it being the traditional Rangers End.

I do hope they get a decent crowd, but I also hope the crowd have realistic expectations.

In a physical sense this will really be men against boys, If they get a handle on that which they eventually did against Solihull then they have a chance.

Like Solihull I would expect Wrexham to field a lot of fringe players, against St.Mirren Colts they fielded three regular starters.

I'll have a more in depth look later, but the two names that jumped out at me are, Adam Barton ex Partick Thistle and Dundee United and Leighton McInstosh, ex Dundee and a few League 1 and 2 teams in Scotland. Leighton played and scored for Rangers in an Under 18 game against Motherwell as a trialist a few years ago. I believe he opted to remain at Dundee despite offers from Rangers and Celtic.

I think Barton was Premiership player of the month at one point.

Should be in BF3, I really hope the club allows them a move and safe standing is implemented. The atmosphere would be terrific at every game.

No chance they’ll get a move to the Copland Front because the amount of folk that be up in arms despite it being the traditional Rangers End.

I was talking specifically about this particular game mate. As a one-off. Not in the longer term.

Barjonas is 20

Depends if he is registered as part of the first team squad. I'd suggest he is. Then it comes down to when his birthday was:

1.5.6 “Over Age Player” means a Player: (i) who is League Registered with the Club of a Colt Team or who is the subject of a Temporary Transfer by a Club; and (ii) who was 20 or more years old on 31 December of the year before the year in which the relevant Season commences;

And it is indeed a maximum of two over-age players:

7.5 A Colt Team shall be permitted, but not obliged, to Play a maximum of two Over Age Players in any Match.

EDIT: Barjonas turned 20 on 24 Jan this year so wouldn't class as over-age.

Depends if he is registered as part of the first team squad. I'd suggest he is. Then it comes down to when his birthday was:

1.5.6 “Over Age Player” means a Player: (i) who is League Registered with the Club of a Colt Team or who is the subject of a Temporary Transfer by a Club; and (ii) who was 20 or more years old on 31 December of the year before the year in which the relevant Season commences;

And it is indeed a maximum of two over-age players:

7.5 A Colt Team shall be permitted, but not obliged, to Play a maximum of two Over Age Players in any Match.

Cheers for clearing that up before I went to! Saved me 5 mins ;-)

The issue is that many will have looked at the fixture list well in advance and made plans with the family for a weekend where there were no 1st team games scheduled.

They really should charge no more than a fiver for the youngsters. I'd even stretch that to adults too. This game ain't about getting the £11M back.

Unfortunately I live in Engerlund. If I was in Glasgow I'd definitrly give this a shot. Would be spectacular to give the Colts a big support. We are Rangers after all. :)

Don't s'pose it'll be on RTV?

They really should charge no more than a fiver for the youngsters. I'd even stretch that to adults too. This game ain't about getting the £11M back.

Unfortunately I live in Engerlund. If I was in Glasgow I'd definitrly give this a shot. Would be spectacular to give the Colts a big support. We are Rangers after all. :)

Don't s'pose it'll be on RTV?

Rules state adults have to be charged £10, Rangers dont have a choice.

It depends upon how much the club push the match ... surely?
As a fairly inexpensive game to attend and one where it would be ideal to take the partner, the kids and perhaps a pal or two, then it becomes a matter of how much interest can be generated amidst the support.
I get your point of course, but this is no ordinary under-21 game, and the opposition at least should also generate some additional interest notwithstanding that our young team deserve all the support our fans can give them.

pretty much my situation take the kids and give them a taste of the Ibrox experience

Rules state adults have to be charged £10, Rangers dont have a choice.

Could have done concessions though:

Board Minimum Prices for Ground Admission for Challenge Cup Matches

All Clubs/clubs competing in the competition: Adult - £10.00; and Juveniles and Senior Citizens - £5.00 (subject that the Home Club may decide to permit entry to the Match to all U12s without charge).

Back