23 years ago today

One of my all time favourite players. Said it on here before, but I’ve met him a good 4 or 5 times and he’s an absolute gentleman too and when I was a kid it was a dream come true to get an autograph and photo with him.

It was brilliant having him in the side, you could be struggling to break a team down and out of nowhere he’d unleash a thunderbolt into the corner from 30 yards.
An Albertz type and we'd be champions right now.
Teams couldn't sit in against us with him in our midfield.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, the free kick he hit against St Johnstone at the piggery was a favourite of mine.
Never scored, but for a couple of seconds Nick Dasovic stood there trying to look like the big man after he blocked it.
Then he crumpled.
One of the funniest things I've ever seen in football.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, the free kick he hit against St Johnstone at the piggery was a favourite of mine.
Never scored, but for a couple of seconds Nick Dasovic stood there trying to look like the big man after he blocked it.
Then he crumpled.

I forgot Dasovic even existed, lady boy prick. I can’t sit here all night and rattle off brilliant Albertz memories.

Was watching highlights of PSV away the other day, what a strike and a cracker of a celebration too.

One of my all-time favourite players and probably my fave from the 90s along with Laudrup. Not before or since have I ever felt so confident of a player scoring when we've had a free-kick within shooting range of the goal, and he more often than not delivered. Those two goals in a week against the scum in 1998 and the free-kick at New Year 1997 live especially long in the memory.

I forgot Dasovic even existed, lady boy prick. I can’t sit here all night and rattle off brilliant Albertz memories.

Was watching highlights of PSV away the other day, what a strike and a cracker of a celebration too.

It wasn't too dissimilar to his goal against Bayern that should also have been a winner.

Shite ref, blatant dive and an absolute cùnt of a deflection.

My first CL game, still frustrates me all these years later.

Made his debut a few weeks later in Gough's testimonial against Arsenal. Can't remember it, but he scored a cracker. I remember Smith saying afterwards he thought he'd be "a good signing" - a bit of an understatement!
Took my son to his first game at Ibrox against Arsenal that day as a five year old and his hero was made and to be fair not a bad choice.

I was there with @lalsger we won 3-0 IIRC. Then off to see Oasis at Loch Lomond that night. 23 years FFS o_O

One of my all time favourite Rangers players
Albertz was superb, after the Prince of Denmark, he's up there as certainly one, if not our best ever foreign player. That was a superb day , don't think i could handle an all day / all night shift now :)

Then he crumpled.

Did he not take a free kick and skelp the ball off a hibs defender in a game so hard the lad had to come off? I think it was a black defender - possibly Jimmy something?

Twatted it right off the poor bastards napper and near enough knocked him out.

What a left foot. That free kick against that lot that was six inches off the ground from his foot to the net was wonderful.

I was right behind the angle of the way the shot went sitting as I was in the Govan West corner that night. Was only my 2nd ever OF game and I can still clearly see that Exocet ripping through the vermin wall and past Kerr before he’s moved - celebrations were wild that night

Arguably we’ve never replaced Albertz in all those years since! Perhaps the closest we’ve come in having a genuine scoring threat from distance in midfield has been Charlie Adam?:oops: Not even worth making the comparison ....

Who was the poor guy from a lower league team like Arbroath who caught one of his free kicks square in the balls in a Scottish Cup game just after new year? All I remember about him is that he was their captain and he had played a massive amount of games for the team

My all time favourite player.

I recall a game at Ibrox - could have been the 5-1 against the micks - where Petrov tried to get in his face and Albertz just stood still and stared him down as if he was a piece of shit on his Predators.

I hate them being introduced to a thread unnecessarily as happens 99% of the time on here, but I was always struck by how scared they were of Albertz.

Every time "the best"chorus came around I found myself singing "Simply Albertz."

Not many midfielders in the world could fill a 13 minute goals video.

Best striker of a football Britain has ever seen. (yes, better than Bobby Charlton, imo)

I think our current manager would be in with a shout there.

Did he not take a free kick and skelp the ball off a hibs defender in a game so hard the lad had to come off? I think it was a black defender - possibly Jimmy something?

Twatted it right off the poor bastards napper and near enough knocked him out.
Jimmy Boco?

Don't remember the incident in question, going to have a look for it though.

Who was the poor guy from a lower league team like Arbroath who caught one of his free kicks square in the balls in a Scottish Cup game just after new year? All I remember about him is that he was their captain and he had played a massive amount of games for the team

East fife was the team

Made his debut a few weeks later in Gough's testimonial against Arsenal. Can't remember it, but he scored a cracker. I remember Smith saying afterwards he thought he'd be "a good signing" - a bit of an understatement!
Played at left back if I remember correctly

Wasn’t there a wee story at the time we had Albertz and a good few Dutch stars. A bit of banter going on and the Dutch guys questioning why Germany invaded Holland in WW2 - Albertz response was on the lines of “well we needed somewhere to park our panzers”.

Albertz .... Albertz .... Albertz .... Albertz ....

That is all. Absolutely my favourite German player ever :D

Absolutely loved the big man growing up.

I remember the day he left my uncle being in tears, and travelling u to the stadium trying to say his goodbyes.

Cracking player who struck absolute fear in to the manks.

Walter Smith paid out £4M for German left sided midfielder Jorg Albertz.
I had never heard of him.

What a bloody player he was for Rangers!

Have we ever had a player who scored so many spectacular and important goals from midfield?

It's Hammer Time :))

thank you op fantastic video of a player who when he scored kissed the badge but in his case he meant it, brilliant footage :)

Only ever had two names in back of any if my shirts. Laudrup and Albertz!

I loved Der Hammer in my top three Rangers players with Gazza and beautiful Brian.
Walter Smith paid out £4M for German left sided midfielder Jorg Albertz.
I had never heard of him.

What a bloody player he was for Rangers!

Have we ever had a player who scored so many spectacular and important goals from midfield?

It's Hammer Time :))

That second goal! :D good job the bet was there or the boy in white jumping behind the goal was getting it in the knackers :D

In hindsight, we got £3m for a guy who's career was over. He barely did a thing at Hamburg second time around. Like Gascoigne, we sold at exactly the right time. Our issue was replacing him with a very talented, but permanently injured Nerlinger.

Same could be said about Laudrup.

I was gutted when he left too.

What a signing he was for us.
An inspired piece of business by Walter.
Pretty difficult to name another Rangers player who carried the same kind of threat from distance as Jorg did.

Back