24th of May 1972

Rab - add me, your pal and his other big brother to that list. Our 87 year old uncle who got out of hospital last week is also on it as well. Sadly, during the past two years, we lost two family members who were with us at Barcelona. The memories from that night 48 years ago are treasured.

Last edited:
Still here to remember the great day and still have my large UJ with ‘RANGERS’ printed across the centre.
We came, we played, we conquered.

Rab - add me, your pal and his other big brother to that list. Our 87 year old uncle who got out of hospital last week is also on it as well. Sadly, during the past two years, we lost two family members who were with us at Barcelona. The memories from that night 48 years ago are treasured.
Don't forget your cousin Sam was also there jimbear.

I got engaged and couldn't afford to go. My Dad & Brother went using my Dad's Wembley Fund from his work along with almost everyone on the flight.

My ma cashed a wee savings club in to pay for me to go. Went with a pal, who like me lives in England and still meet up with in local RSC and travel abroad for European games.

Sat in the dark listening to the radio as we had a power cut and praying they would get the power back on in time to see the highlights.

My grandad. I know we lost in 08 but being able to say I seen us in a European final with my dad and grandad is something that means a lot to me as silly as it sounds

Despite the 90 minutes, it was a pretty amazing occasion just travelling down & being in
the city on the day of the game mate.

It was quite incredible the size of support we had in the city. No matter what the number
of us there was, it was UNQUESTIONABLY the largest travelling support to a European
Final.

Despite the 90 minutes, it was a pretty amazing occasion just travelling down & being in
the city on the day of the game mate.

It was quite incredible the size of support we had in the city. No matter what the number
of us there was, it was UNQUESTIONABLY the largest travelling support to a European
Final.
Only game I missed that year was Panithinkos the joys of dad paying for me at 17. Was In tears at the final

Brilliant mate.

We were so limited that year, yet somehow got there.

That night at the final was amazing from the bears. Really emotional. Don't think there
was a dry eye in the house ;)
Then back from it to motherwell away which we drew. My pal on here can’t remember his tag he was in the paper crying at FT

I was there, got a sub off my dad. A workmate of mine was caught on the front page of the evening tims coming off the plane with the obligatory donkey & sombrero, unfortunately he was on the sick. Lucky enough all the gaffers were blue noses & thought it funny.

It was great. But when I had applied to take the week off work to go to the game my boss had jokingly written on it ‘Holiday Address - The Municipal Jail, Barcelona’. We all laughed. But for years later some colleagues thought it was true.

Went with two friends when I was 19. Flew out from Glasgow early morning and flew back from Barcelona around 1 am. £32 for air fare, ticket and transfers..
One of my other friends got 4 days in Lloret, air fares and transfers for £3 more. I could only get one day off work at that time.

I went on a mixed double decker from Kilmarnock, them downstairs us upstairs.

it was alright on the journey to the game but coming home there were a few slaps doled out by some of the older guys on the bus.

First and last time Western SMT put on a mixed bus:))

Sadly I couldn’t go as I sat my final higher, Economic History that day. I left school the following day wondering what the future would hold and making plans to go to Ibrox that night to see the team parade the trophy.

Was about 12 mind watching it late at night in black and white with my dad, funnily enough no recollection of scotland playing earlier that night.

Made every round up to the final but couldn't get to Barcelona. Was there for the welcome home at Ibrox. Gutted to miss the final but the the semi-final against Bayern Munich is one of my all-time great memories. I was just short of my 17th birthday at the time.

I was there, just turned 16, I wonder how many of us are still here?

Robert

We've sadly lost a Barcelona 72 Bear recently who was there.

Good friend Tam Adams from Kilsyth.

He was still an avid Bear ST holder this season. Tam suddenly died of a heart attack aged 67 the morning after St Johnstone away. :( He looked a picture of health at the table in Perth with his fellow Kilsyth Bears who had paid for Corporate Hospitality that day.

I attended his funeral on March 17th and flew back to Luton that night, just before lockdown. (the plane only had 28 folk on it)

One of the many pictures shown on the screen at the church service was a pic of Tam aged 19, with his mates from Kilsyth/Kirky getting on the bus heading for Spain in 72.

It was the last time I had an alcoholic drink at the post celebration of his life in the Kilsyth Masonic 39 club.

RIP Tam

Last edited:
I was eight at the time and didn’t travel and to be honest don’t recall much of the evening other than the win. My biggest contribution otherwise to the 24th May was my eldest son entering the world on that date in 1991. It’s a significant date for me.

I was looking at the Glasgow Herald for this date on their archive and on Radio 4 that night they were covering the game and before that they had a 30 minute programme called Follow Follow which consisted of a half an hour of Rangers records:)).
Seems unthinkable now.

Back