25 Yard Screamers

We as a team try to create the perfect goal for whatever reason. We are nowhere near direct enough in front of goal. Very frustrating to watch.

At the edge of the box we need to start just taking shorts and working the keeper instead of this side to side passing and wee flicks round the corner etc

I said the exact same thing to a pal last night. We're always trying to cross or cut back into the box. As proven over the last few seasons, it becomes very predictable.

Sorry for being the stats guy!

Last season, we matched Celtic for goals outside the box with 11. Aberdeen finished with 10, Hibs and Killie 9.

Looking at teams in the English Premiership, Man City and Man Utd got 12, Spurs and Liverpool 11.

So we're probably about the sort of expected rate when it comes to scoring goals from outside the box as things stand.

I know that's not 25 yard screamers every time of course, but worth noting when discussing these things.

Last season, we matched Celtic for goals outside the box with 11. Aberdeen finished with 10, Hibs and Killie 9.

Looking at teams in the English Premiership, Man City and Man Utd got 12, Spurs and Liverpool 11.

So we're probably about the sort of expected rate when it comes to scoring goals from outside the box as things stand.

I know that's not 25 yard screamers every time of course, but worth noting when discussing these things.
Stats>perception

Good info, how many of these were free kicks for each team though?

Dorrans had to be good for a few of those

T

That’s very interesting stats, however, I still believe we don’t shoot often enough outside the box.

How many were direct free kicks out of interest?

very rarely do we see any of our players put their laces through the ball from 25yards out. A couple of times last night the ball was there to be skelped but it was played to the side instead and frittered out.

What I would give to have Albertz back.
Here Here 100%.
I thought that too, Plenty of clear opportunities and very few taken. The only one that comes to mind was McCrorie in the first half that went miles past.

A midfield with one or two players who can hit a good shot from outside the box puts so much more pressure on an opposition defence. Defending against Rangers on the break with say Albertz in the team must have been a nightmare for a centre halve. Do you stay with the striker or shut Albertz down and leave the striker if caught 2 against 1? In that situation nowadays you'd stay with striker because it's unlikely the midfielder will shoot.

I really think our fans make our players nervous and scared to try anything other than the safe option when they have the ball.

Why do you think players generally don't bother with this? Because 9 times out of 10 it'll probably just balloon over the bar. We had one shot like that on Thursday from McCrorie and it ended up in the back of the Broomloan Rear. Why surrender possession like that?

Speaking about this on the way back from Ibrox on Thursday.

McKay against the kiddy touchers but apart from that, I cannot remember a long range goal from open play.

Speaking about this on the way back from Ibrox on Thursday.

McKay against the kiddy touchers but apart from that, I cannot remember a long range goal from open play.

Dorrans at Firhill last season springs to mind.

to many times we have seen them do one more pass out wide when a shot is a viable option,
dont know if they are scared to shoot in case they bawz it up and the fans get on to them ,

Back