25 years ago today we signed Brian Laudrup

My Dad and I were watching SerieA on C4 around January of that year and he made the comment "I'd love us to sign that Laudrup"

Its always stuck with me to the point I'd half wondered if he'd spoke to Smith or Knox at some point, lol.

When it happened a few months later I was astounded.

I remembered Brian from the 1992 tournament and a particular game where he was playing for Fiorentina with Batitstuta and they had to score a certain number of goals and rely on other results to avoid relegation (it finished something like 7-2 but they other scores didn't go their way)

He was tearing it up against some of the best players in the World.

When he signed I was expecting good things but not what we got.

Like others have said, I was brought up on stories of Baxter, Baxter and more Baxter but my dad also offered up after a while that Brian was probably a step up from Slim Jim too.

To see him do it against Brazil in 1998 at the WC and against Argentina in 1997 in the precursor to the Confederations cup just showed he could do it on any stage.

We'll never see a player like him for us again.
In a similar vein I watched Euro 92 with my dad and he remarked "wouldn't mind sering that boy at Ibrox ".
The old boy was also a Baxter fan and Laudrup was the first player he'd accept was on a par with the great man.
Don't want to start an argument but we signed an even more talented player the following summer...lol.

One of the best players to ever wear the jersey. Have fond memories of getting a sneaky 1-2 off him and putting it past Goram having a kick about when I was 14 years old.

In a similar vein I watched Euro 92 with my dad and he remarked "wouldn't mind sering that boy at Ibrox ".
The old boy was also a Baxter fan and Laudrup was the first player he'd accept was on a par with the great man.
Don't want to start an argument but we signed an even more talented player the following summer...lol.

Away with ye, lol!

I can concede there was maybe more "natural" flair with Gazza at times but if you'd give me 100 chances to sign one of them, I've got a Danish guy with a pen in his hand 100 times.

You could see and feel all the crowd rise when he was on the ball. The sight of the whole of the govan stands warming to him was simply electric. He was a genius a truly magnificent footballer.

Absolutely raging my mum and dad didn't pump 10 years earlier as I miseed most of that era.

Laudrup, Gazza, McCoist, Hately etc.

Still I had Albertz, Ferguson, De Boer..

I can just imagine Ibrox to a man rising to its feet as Laudrup started gliding past defenders.

The best to ever pull on our shirt. The best to ever play in Scotland.
Between him and Gazza, single best performance was Gazza 8 in a row.

Laudrup for a winger (who was over 6ft by the way) done it constantly week in week out!

Wingers were famous for drifting in and out games, not him.

Greatest footballer I’ve had the pleasure to see grace our shirt.

I wonder when we’ll see another as good as he was for us.

Great post. We were privileged to watch that man play for us. I often wonder if we will ever see his like again.

Laudrup for a winger (who was over 6ft by the way) done it constantly week in week out!

I'm in the Gazza camp for the greatest to play for us, but the best single performance has to be The Great Dane's at Hampden v Hearts.

The mentally challengeds were absolutely terrified of him. He had everything, skill, pace, strength. I had the pleasure of meeting him one day in Frasers in Glasgow, he was everything you would imagine in person. Utter class act

Never seen anything to get anywhere close to him. Will we ever see such talent in a Rangers jersey again?
You're surely talking about defenders not getting close to him, I've seen practically every ball Lauders and Gazza kicked for us and imo Gazza was better, and definitely very "CLOSE" if you don't agree.

Finest player I saw playing for us by quite a distance. To get someone of that quality at the perfect time to have him playing the absolute best football of his career while at Ibrox. Utter privilege to watch him.
I got my first season ticket in his very first season, perfect time.

He was amazing. The best ever, for me. I had Laudrup 11 on the home shirt and Gascoigne 8 on the away. Unbelievable when you think of it now.

No wonder the fhilth are all so mental.

Greatest footballer I’ve had the pleasure to see grace our shirt.

I wonder when we’ll see another as good as he was for us.
Wow - 25 years, it seems like yesterday. What a player. Imagine what he’s be worth today.

Thanks for the memories Brian.

It was worth paying the season ticket money alone just to watch Laudrup strut his stuff in a Rangers jersey.

As i’m only 22 i’m too young to have seen Laudrup, but from the many stories read on here/video’s watched etc the guy was simply incredible and probably the most talented ever to pull on our jersey

I remember the first time I bumped into him and just looking up at this massive guy. I'm 6 ft and still felt small beside him (I may have had buckled knees of awe looking back on it tbh...) What a player, just absolute magic in his feet.

Back