25 years ago today we signed Brian Laudrup

OP You missed the words "God-like genius" in your header. I grew up watching Jim Baxter and never thought any Gers player would match him. Brian did.
Young T started following football in Brian's first season. What a four years that was to be a Dad and a Bear.
And Brian was elegant, well spoken and soooo handsome.
And did I mention he was a God-like genius

Cracking player and a very handsome bugger too.

And he was ours. Incredible to think we had a player of that ability to grace our shirt. Guy could have walked into any team in Europe at the time and yet he was playing for us.

Greatest footballer I’ve had the pleasure to see grace our shirt.

I wonder when we’ll see another as good as he was for us.
Gutted never got to see him gazza Durrant and others in the flesh sheer class

Edit. Not to be negative but probably not in our lifetime

I doubt we’ll ever see someone of his skill and ability play for us again. I’d love to be wrong but with the way modern football is I can’t see it. I feel sorry for all the younger bears who never got to see him.

I doubt we’ll ever see someone of his skill and ability play for us again. I’d love to be wrong but with the way modern football is I can’t see it. I feel sorry for all the younger bears who never got to see him.

Wonderful words.
Brian Laudrup was sublime.

In one word.

GOD.

Listening to games on the radio back in the day all you’d constantly hear “Laudrup, he’s away from one defender, and he’s past another..” he really was a special player who made football look very easy.

I can’t believe that was 25 years ago . Frightening . I am as old as the hills .

As for Laudrup - simply the best ever for me .

I don’t believe we will ever see his likes again or in future generations however I’ll just throw it out there my old man used to say the same about Jim Baxter and Henderson , then after seeing Laudrup for two seasons stunned me by saying Laudrup was now on par for him .

So there is hope it could happen .

The guy was poetry in motion with a football .

Best player i have ever seen play for us!!
I got brought up hearing Baxter Baxter Baxter Baxter from my dad. He turned and said to me one day at Tannadice. Thats the best player i have ever seen!! Brian Laudrup!!!!

I’ve already accepted I’ll never see a player like him play for us again.

He quite literally tore some of the very top teams apart at times.

I remember watching Denmark in a friendly match that summer, just after he'd signed. Archie McPherson was commentating for some reason and Laudrup was tearing the opposition a new arsehole. McPherson was creaming his pants about Laudrup the whole game. I just sat open mouthed in shock that we had signed a player of this quality for just over £2 million. The abject disappointment of the cup final against scumdee hivs now forgotten.

There's not been many players in my time supporting Rangers when news of them signing left me feeling just genuine, natural, inexplicable excitement. Laudrup was one, along with Hateley, Albertz, Gazza, Numan, Mols. That feeling where you just know they're something special.

The best signing we have ever made.....Immense footballer and it was a pleasure a have him play for your club.

It was truly awesome to witness Slim Jim strut his left peg against the mentally challengeds and tear them apart. I never, ever expected to see another world class player of that vintage do the same to them some 30 years later. Laudrup was so majestic he waltzed through them at Parkheid. It was the sheer flow of how he ran at defences and made it all look so simple. Being older made me appreciate him even more because most of us recognised that this kind of talent rarely comes along once in fifty years. So, to have seen Stanley and the Prince I am eternally grateful. Oh for SG to unearth a similar gem at a price we can afford would make all our dreams come true.

Laudrup and Boli, both signed for 2.7m or so that summer. I was more excited about Boli at the time, as I hadn’t heard of Brian, only Michael Laudrup. I consider myself privileged to have seen him.
Likewise, I thought Boli would be an absolute animal in our defence and dominate the opposition. My thoughts about Laudrup were “we obviously couldn’t get his brother so we’ve settled for second best”.

I may have been slightly wrong on both counts :))

Brian Laudrup - Thank You. A remarkable player and a great ambassador for our club.

Laudrup and Boli, both signed for 2.7m or so that summer. I was more excited about Boli at the time, as I hadn’t heard of Brian, only Michael Laudrup. I consider myself privileged to have seen him.

I was the same. I remember the papers saying we were interested in Bryan Roy the Dutch winger who was excellent against England at Wembley and hoping we signed him instead!!
How wrong can you be? Fabulous player and an absolute privilege to have seen him play for Rangers.

I was 11 when he signed, the excitement watching him was incredible

Correct me if im wrong but was his first league game Motherwell where he ran About 60 yards past everyone and casually slipped in big Dunc to score?

A genius, highly unlikely we'll see anything like him in a Rangers jersey again.

It's my young lad's birthday today, his middle name? Laudrup of course.

Was four when he signed but vaguely remember the later years of his Rangers career. Was at matches he played in but really wish I was old enough to appreciate him. Don't think we will ever see better than him. Is he the only player that FF is unanimous about?

Some people say Cooper was better, but I think that's mostly nostalgia related to the tragic circumstances.

Easy the Best player I’ve ever seen play for rangers.
I Was 10 when he joined, what a 3/4 years that was watching him. And who could forget the laudrup cup final.

In today’s money, if Tierney is worth £25m, what would our Brian be worth.
Easy £40m

I remember Boli signed around the same time and people were talking about that more :D

Easy the Best player I’ve ever seen play for rangers.
I Was 10 when he joined, what a 3/4 years that was watching him. And who could forget the laudrup cup final.

In today’s money, if Tierney is worth £25m, what would our Brian be worth.
Easy £40m

That’s not even a comparison. Look at what Neymar and Pogba have gone for then add a bit.

Greatest footballer I’ve had the pleasure to see grace our shirt.

I wonder when we’ll see another as good as he was for us.
My all time favourite ranger, absolute perfection,a gem of a player he had everything I doubt we will see anything like him again

The Great Dane would be worth an untold figure.
Simply the Best? In a word,yes.
From my seat in the Govan Front in those days, I saw him on the receiving end of a stray pass zooming toward him at chest height and a little to his right. He stuck out his right heel(!);trapped,controlled, and brought the ball to ground in one movement. The crowd gave a collective gasp;the guy next to me shouted at the away support(Killie iirc) `Did you lot f*ckin see that`?! :)):))
Just one example of stuff you would see on a weekly basis.
He was beyond incredible. And he was ours.

The thing i remember the most during his first season was when he received the ball out wide and started to work his way towards the box there was a real (cliche incoming!) buzz around the stadium. Everybody would be on the edge of their seats in excitment wondering what he was going to do.

Not many players have that effect.

My Dad and I were watching SerieA on C4 around January of that year and he made the comment "I'd love us to sign that Laudrup"

Its always stuck with me to the point I'd half wondered if he'd spoke to Smith or Knox at some point, lol.

When it happened a few months later I was astounded.

I remembered Brian from the 1992 tournament and a particular game where he was playing for Fiorentina with Batitstuta and they had to score a certain number of goals and rely on other results to avoid relegation (it finished something like 7-2 but they other scores didn't go their way)

He was tearing it up against some of the best players in the World.

When he signed I was expecting good things but not what we got.

Like others have said, I was brought up on stories of Baxter, Baxter and more Baxter but my dad also offered up after a while that Brian was probably a step up from Slim Jim too.

To see him do it against Brazil in 1998 at the WC and against Argentina in 1997 in the precursor to the Confederations cup just showed he could do it on any stage.

We'll never see a player like him for us again.

Was a pleasure to watch him and he made the game look effortless at times, Cooper , McCoist ,Gazza were all heroes of mine but Laudrup just edges it.

Latest posts

Back