29/4/2018

I switched it off that day when it went 2-0 and I've still never seen the other goals or the post match stuff.

It was as low as I can ever remember me feeling after a game. To be honest, I thought 15 in a row was more likely than 10.

It's often forgotten just how close we got that season prior to our capitulation. We were miles off it from the outset - Progres, Pedro's sacking but we went on a terrific run under Murty albeit with some horrible results thrown into the bargain.

We were the better side in the new year OF game at Parkhead and arguably should have taken 3 points. We won 7 out of 8 prior to the 2-3 game at Ibrox, getting ourselves to within 6 points of top at that point (a win that day would have taken us 3 behind). The collapse following that result at Ibrox was incredible and resulted in the two most humiliating performances I've ever witnessed (I'm 37) and I include Progres in that. If memory serves me right we won 3 from our remaining 8 games of the run-in but, as alluded to earlier, Celtic only won the league with 82 points - 9 ahead of second place Aberdeen.

I had a good feeling from day one of Gerrard's appointment that his professionalism alone would see us improve by 10 points a season and then it came down to OF games which would take time given they had such vastly superior resources.

The job Gerrard has done has been remarkable. It's required patience (not something we are famed for) and we've got our reward. This will be the sweetest title I will ever have celebrated and, IMO, our most important.

Reactions: ao2
Since then they have scored 7 goals in 10 games against us.

Funny how their front line does t look like world beaters when they arnt up against Russell Martin, and midfielders at centre half and left back (no particular offence meant to them).

Put the Azerbaijan Grand Prix on at half time. Remember being not particularly bothered about the score, they were always going to win. I just wanted the players to show a bit of fight and heart that wasn't shown at Hampden. If anything it was worse at Hampden.

The fact that 7 of their starting 11 remain whilst only 2 of our entire 18 remain is why we're so far ahead of them now. Even the semi final from 2016, 5 of the 7 who took their penalties are still there whereas only one from our entire squad that day remain.

That game summed up the last decade. They were 5-0 up after an hour and could've literally ran over us to an 8 or 9-0.

But they didn't. They stood still to laugh at us.

Bet they regret it now.

To be honest, the 5-1 game in 2017 at Ibrox felt a lot worse. We’d got in a manager who was clueless and hadn’t learned from the week before’s defeat. And there was no chance we were going to fire him anytime soon.

At least with the 5-0 game you knew change was coming. Albeit it was absolutely brutal.

Won the league last when I was 13... during that Spending my teenage years watching us win %^*& all and away to Diddy teams. Wouldn’t change it for the world. :)

Lucky it was only 5 tbf. Think it was 52 minutes or something they scored the 5th.

What a shambles we were.

I just had a look back at the H2H results now (first time in years I've been brave enough) and there were quite a few defeats that I had forgotten about. Like someone said above, they all just merge into a blur for me as well.

There was definitely a game where they scored 5 and that was with Alnwick playing well who saved us from a bigger mauling.

The one we were up 2-1 and lost 3-2 - Windass scored early on- seemed to really hurt. Genuinely thought we were turning a corner that time.

From that day to 8 months later and Jack scoring the winner it just shows how quickly things can turn around in football.

Even look as far back as March 2000 when we scudded them 4 nil and a few months later the 6-2 game.

Lesson to be learnt here is never rest on your laurels always be on your guard Rangers.

That pair of games was one of the few slivers of hope that I was hanging onto at that time. In the Pedro/Murty years the gap on the field and financially off the field looked so big that it was almost impossible to see how we could ever haul it back in.

It was the same then, we destroyed them 4-0 in the sunshine that day, an expensively assembled team playing by far the best football I'd ever seen a Rangers team play. We'd put 4 past them for the second time that season, were 15 points clear and heading for our 11th title in 12 years. They looked a million miles behind us. and heading for their 5th manager in 5 years. It was obvious that Advocaat's all-conquering side was going to dominate for years to come.

And yet, the next time I was in the same pub (Greenfields in Holburn, London) to watch the next Old Firm game, we were absolutely destroyed 6-2, lost the league by 15 points, the Advocaat era had fallen apart and the boot was on the other foot.

Illogically hoping for a repeat of a turnaround of that magnitude was the only thing you could hold onto in the Murty era.

Was at both horrible days left the piggery when the 4th went in outside stadium could hear the 5th go in. I got home just in time for FT relieved it was only 5 and not 8 or 9.

Back