29 years this Thursday

The atmosphere was incredible that night. I got moved to the Main Stand because of UEFA restrictions on standing capacity of the East Enclosure.

There were a couple of Leeds fans behind me that got papped out when they scored in the first minute. They must have been gutted to go to the trouble of infiltrating our support only to get flung out within a minute.

Last edited:
The Battle of Britain VHS was the first Rangers video I got, handed down by my uncle. I must have watched it about 100 times.

Just the other day Big Country - Fields of Fire came on the radio at work and the first thought was that video of the Rangers Leeds game that has the tune played through it.

The 4 and a half hour wait in the queue for tickets for this was definitely worth it(straight off night shift too I might add)

Just watched the first half. Thanks for this OP.

I was only 12 when it was played, and went to school in Engurland too. It was very sweet victory to a whole bunch of pals at school!

Two things.

1) As an excuse at the time loads of friends had dismissed it as 'Leeds are s**t'. But watching this you forget quite how good that midfield of Leeds was. 4 fantastic players and all very different.

2) David Edgar's theory about unnecessary corners leading to goals gets yet more evidence... from 29 years ago. Jon Newsome needlessly heads it behind when he could have cleared it. Boom, 2-1.

Just watched the first half. Thanks for this OP.

I was only 12 when it was played, and went to school in Engurland too. It was very sweet victory to a whole bunch of pals at school!

Two things.

1) As an excuse at the time loads of friends had dismissed it as 'Leeds are s**t'. But watching this you forget quite how good that midfield of Leeds was. 4 fantastic players and all very different.

2) David Edgar's theory about unnecessary corners leading to goals gets yet more evidence... from 29 years ago. Jon Newsome needlessly heads it behind when he could have cleared it. Boom, 2-1.
They were a really good side iirc they hadn't been beaten at Elland Road for over 2 years until we beat them.

29 years? Good god almighty.

Can remember the radio adverts building up to the match, then listening to the game itself due to the game being in delayed transmission.

Bonkers when you think about it now.

Sat all night aged 10 killing time waiting for it at 10:40

Only for my mum to have put the tv on mute during stv news incase they said the score.

“If you dont want to know the score look away now”

A fearless Rangers team.
Wasn’t it live on tv?

One of the great European nights, the atmosphere went from deafening to deadly silent like a tv being muted. But not for long.

I still can’t decide which was best - the Ibrox game or away at Leeds. Have to say, big Mark’s stunning goal after 2 minutes was one of the greatest goals we ever scored, and then he set up Ally for the second. Stunned the home crowd into absolute silence. Brilliant!

I still can’t decide which was best - the Ibrox game or away at Leeds. Have to say, big Mark’s stunning goal after 2 minutes was one of the greatest goals we ever scored, and then he set up Ally for the second. Stunned the home crowd into absolute silence. Brilliant!
Commentary for Ally's goal is memorable:

Here's Durrant now leading the charge
Hatelely
McCoist on the far side
It's a super goal!
Rangers have thoroughly killed off this European Cup tie

Two great games. I was always confident we'd get through the tie. McAllister's goal was probably the best thing to happen to us. Focused on the job in hand. Never in doubt after Lukuc OG. Matter of time till we got a second and the tie was dead after 3 minutes at Elland Road.

Guys in my work were giving it the big one before that game then Leeds will score 4 at Elland rd after.
Was very nice the day after the return leg , no stupid comments for once.

Had the VHS of this growing up, Battle of Britain presented by Jim White I think (w@nk).

Also had the accompanying “you’ll know us by our noise” CD. Good times indeed.

I was away in a course with work when the tickets were announced, and my mum was supposed to send in my application- I’d left her my season book and the money - but she missed the advert and by the time I was back the deadline had passed. Sat at home with tv and radio switched off to watch the delayed transmission.

On the face of it, winning 2 1 wouldn't normally be seen as a great result, however it was such a slug fest of a match, like a cup tie rather than a 2 leg affair that I left Ibrox absolutely buzzing. The 2nd leg took the feel good factor into the fkn stratosphere.

I was there, my main memory is Gordon Strachan being booed every time he touched the ball. Oh, and the noise - it was frightening.

Yes for you if you’ve lived in Jersey. Not available in Scotland.

2nd leg was live.

Rule was if another match in Scotland was on nothing could be shown.

I watched it live in the pub in Dunure. Folk there could get Ulster, as stated not on mainland telly. Missed kickoff, a goal down when I got in, but that was only the start. I remember the English press leading up to the second leg, it was a foregone conclusion Leeds would put things right at Elland Road and murder us.
What a night that turned out to be............ aah, the memories!

29 years ago wow! Happy memories of both games, especially stationed down South in the Forces at that time and rubbing it right in as they were uber confident.

My Warrant Officer at the time was a big Leeds fan. Me and my wee Ulster Bluenose pal sent him a package through the internal post. A box of Aunt Bessie’s 12 Yorkshire puddings with a picture of the Leeds team stuck on it. I think he knew it was us

Was in the govan front in my usual seat. I didn’t realise it then but most probably the most successful season in our history in terms of at home and in Europe , 44 games unbeaten and within a whisker of the CL final including beating the EPL champions home and away.

We will never see the likes again

Back