Who was the daddy

• Frank Lampard

Votes: 70 21.7%
  • Paul Scholes

Votes: 207 64.1%
  • Stevie Gerrard

Votes: 52 16.1%

• Total voters
Scholes was the best for me. The complete midfielder. He could score, pass and put his foot in when necessary.

Plus people who have played the game at the highest level generally always pick him as the best they've played with and against

I think he chucked international football early cos he was shunted out to left midfield under Eriksson when the team should have been built around him

Gerrard for me. He had the lot. Box to Box, tackling, passing, goals.

I know how this thread will go..."Zidane said Scholes was the best".

3 brilliant players though. England failed to accommodate all 3 in the one midfield, which was a shame.

Schloes, brilliant player, and magnificently consistant too.

Chelski fan boys will hijack this with Lampard though.

Strangely as Lampard is my favourite player not to have played for us I've went for Gerrard.

A guy who won games on his own that European Cup final being an example.

Hate this question.

Scholes was by far the most talented footballer of the 3, but I'd pick Gerrard for my team every time. Does that even make sense? :D

Absolutely. A brilliant Captain who drove a very average Liverpool side to win the European Cup. Must be some feeling doing that with the team you supported. He rejected Chelsea in the summer of 2004 didn't he?

There is no right answer in this thread. You could make an argument for all 3.

Xavi said Paul Scholes was the only British player who could have got close to getting into the Barcelona midfield in that era.
That'll do for me.

Gerrard as he was a standout in far far poorer teams than the other two, won some games singlehandedly whereas the other options were usually surrounded by fellow world class teammates.
Lampard second, can't question his goals return and value to Chelsea or even City. Scholes is right behind them though.
Shame they never really gelled together, with Beckham on the right that should've been a world beating midfield.

Strangely as Lampard is my favourite player not to have played for us I've went for Gerrard.

Nonsense. He was a pivotal part in that second half come back but more importantly Hamann coming on at half time. That change of shape and allowing him and alsono in the middle to push Gerrard further forward changed the game

Scholes all day long, amazing player with a unique technique not normally associated with British players.

I wouldn't refer to Scholes as a 'midfield general' as such, that was more Roy Keane in that United side, but he was defo the best player out of the 3 in my opinion.

Scholes. Because he dominated games and chucked in a few goals.. The other 2 were great forward going players and scored a tremendous amount of goals.. But they had very little defensive qualities

Scholes

Gerrard
Lampard

I’d have slippy G slightly ahead of Lampard, even though Lampard's never slipped and went on a selfish one man mission to redeem himself, effectively costing his side the biggest shot at their only title since colour TV was invented.

3 very different players but all of them had their best bits ,

Lampard was my favourite but would struggle to separate them .

All 3 are top players. All 3 brought something different as well. Scholes passing was second to none. Gerrard a leader and engine box to box player and lampards goal scoring record from midfield is unreal.

Lampard for me was always my favourite out the 3.

No contest,it's Scholes.
Gerrard and Lampard were great players but not in the class of Scholes.
Scholes is the best English midfielder since Gazza.

Lampard is the best out the 3.

More goals and more assists than the other two. Won everything there is to win as a club player.

Only one out the 3 to be in the top 3 for Balon D'or also !

Scholes was pure class and technically the most gifted. But I don't think he ever merged the 2 versions of him - the attack-minded midfielder up to around 2003 and then the physically waning deep-lying midfield controller from 2005 on.

It's hard to look past Gerrard in terms of his influence on that, at times, bang average Liverpool side, and the 8 PFA Team of the Year awards he has, compared to the 3 of Lampard and the 2 of Scholes.

Depends on how you're building the team though - Scholes obviously fits best in a possession-dominating set-up, while the other two are better off the ball and offer more penetration going forward.

It's Gerrard. At his peak, he was the ultimate all round midfielder. He could do everything. Put Scholes or Lampard into that Liverpool team, does he drag them to two CL finals and win one of them? Not a chance for me.

Scholes was amazing technically but I always feel there's a bit of revisionism with regards to him. Fergie left him out many times for Utd in big games.

Scholes is the purest's choice but if I had to have only one in my team it would be Gerrard due to his ability to play in numerous positions.

Scholes for me, couldn’t tackle worth a f.uck but had everything else in abundance!

Just shades it by the way, 3 great players!

Scholes for me the most complete midfielder I've seen. Did all the dirty work as well as being a superb passer of the ball.

Fu.k gerrard, they drew that game.
Scholes anyday of the week, just ask any player including zidane xavi iniesta guardiola etc...

Gerrard was better in big moments. Lampard was doing it week in week out. Scholes probably the best player but I'd rather Lampard.

Lampard for me. He done it consistently for a number of years and was basically the main man in a very good Chelsea side.

Back