Who was the daddy

• Frank Lampard

Votes: 70 21.7%
  • Paul Scholes

Votes: 207 64.1%
  • Stevie Gerrard

Votes: 52 16.1%

• Total voters
I’d never say Lampard ran the show for Chelsea the way he should have. Scored goals obviously but always felt there was more to offer.

Scholes was magic, but again I actually feel he never reached the heights he could have personally.

Gerrard is one of my favourite all time players, he could do it all, defend/attack/run matches.
Just the complete midfielder imo

It used to be Scholes for me until Frank Lampard showed up. Incredible player in all ways and 211 career goals is staggering. Gerard isn’t in the same bracket as the other two!

I was having this discussion with one of my customers today, a massive Man Utd fan and ST holder. He put it quite well when he spoke about consistency of performance and said Scholes and Lampard win you leagues because they would never drop below 8/10 every week whilst Gerard would be 10/10 one week then a 5/10 the following. There is some truth in that.

It's Gerrard. At his peak, he was the ultimate all round midfielder. He could do everything. Put Scholes or Lampard into that Liverpool team, does he drag them to two CL finals and win one of them? Not a chance for me.

Scholes was amazing technically but I always feel there's a bit of revisionism with regards to him. Fergie left him out many times for Utd in big games.

Not just the CL final.

Knocked back Mourinho at Chelsea and Inter. And Madrid wanted him - tried to get him to force through a move.

Scholes >>>> Lampard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boab Malcolm >>> Gerrard

I guess if i ask myself which player in their prime would you most like to sign for Rangers .... i'd go for Scholes !!

Easy.

Scholes.

Gerrard was better than Lampard. Lapmard had a better career than Gerrard.

Scholes by an absolute mile. Lampard is not even in the same stratosphere as the other two either despite what many on here claim. His record is padded out with penalties.

I wouldn't refer to Scholes as a 'midfield general' as such, that was more Roy Keane in that United side, but he was defo the best player out of the 3 in my opinion.

I've never considered any of them to be a 'general' per se.

Regardless, Scholes, then Lampard, then Gerrard.

Scholes just edges it for me. Lampard and Gerrard were great players but scholes was different class. Just a shame he played for man utd

Paul Scholes, he had it all.

He could tackle, he had vision, he could pass short, long, he knew when to sit and knew when to advance.

His control and technique on the volley was up there with the best in the world.

You ask any midfielder of that era who was the best midfielder they played with or against, the answer is usually Scholes.

Wasn’t as flashy as other midfielders of his generation but by god he was the complete midfield player.

Paul Scholes, he had it all.

He could tackle, he had vision, he could pass short, long, he knew when to sit and knew when to advance.

His control and technique on the volley was up there with the best in the world.

You ask any midfielder of that era who was the best midfielder they played with or against, the answer is usually Scholes.

Wasn’t as flashy as other midfielders of his generation but by god he was the complete midfield player.

Generally accepted that he definitely couldn't not and was by far the worst part of his game. Not saying he didn't try to tackle, just he was awful at it :D

Generally accepted that he definitely couldn't not and was by far the worst part of his game. Not saying he didn't try to tackle, just he was awful at it :D
Fair enough, I’ll give you that as I do believe his quote was

“Of course I can tackle , I crunch people for revenge” :D

70% tackle rate still not bad though

All 3 players were incredible. I honestly dont think yiu can compare them despite playing same position as they all played completely different games.

If England could have found a way to accommodate all 3 in the centre of the park instead of punting Scholes out left then they would have won a major tournament IMO.

I think it's the 'trendy' option for people to pick Scholes but IMO, he was never as good as Lampard or Gerrard.

Both guys could single handedly win you games. Scholes was a tidy player but never a world beater.

Just give this a watch, some great endorsements from some of the greats of the game

Paul Scholes

Gerrard by a country mile - Lampard and Scholes were world class but Gerard carried Liverpool at times whereas the other two never had to do that at Chelsea and Man Utd.

Scholes was far and away better technically than Lampard and Gerrard. He didn't score as many goals but still chipped in with a fair few from a deep lying playmaker role in his later years. He was a joy to watch. All three were great players to be fair, but I would pick Scholes in my team every time.

Best footballer was Scholes.
Best goalscorer was Lampard.
Best matchwinner was Gerrard.

I vote for Gazza :D

Strangely as Lampard is my favourite player not to have played for us I've went for Gerrard.

A guy who won games on his own that European Cup final being an example.

That’s crap, it was a team performance. Xabi Alonso was outstanding, as was Carragher. Let’s not rewrite history here.

Scholes was the best footballer.

But id have Gerrard all day. From around 2004 - 2009/10 he carried Liverpool.

An absolute force of nature in his prime, the ultimate box to box midfielder.

When Liverpool were going for Champions Leagues under Benitez he played like a man possessed in games.

Lampards goalscoring record is phenomenal, Scholes could ping passes all day long but Gerrard had the biggest influence on his team.

Back