"3 points are all that matters"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. Performances generally dictate whether we get enough of those 3 points though,

Nothing wrong with having an opinion about the performance and enjoying the 3 pts.
Too many people on here have results bias until one day/night we do drop the points and the same guys go mental and act like there weren't signs and then want to talk about the performance.
Results bias.

Christ almighty.

By all means be critical of the performance, but please refrain from insane reframing of supporters prioritising a result over a performance.

I prefer winning by any means. Of course I’ve got fecking ‘results bias’, a supporter of any team should have ‘results bias’.

Hibs are a good side or at least they match up against us very well plus they bust an absolute gut playing us.
Ibrox before the porteous brain fart, the semi and again tonight.
Away to them might be our toughest game give or take flange ball at the monkey hut.
A month ago we’d of lost that.
3 points everytime here

Results bias.

Christ almighty.

By all means be critical of the performance, but please refrain from insane reframing of supporters prioritising a result over a performance.

I prefer winning by any means. Of course I’ve got fecking ‘results bias’, a supporter of any team should have ‘results bias’.
mad ain't it, I watch Rangers to see them win, I thought that's a written? of course I'd like them play well, but we can't always do that, just as we'll no play mince all the time, that's football, but I want 3 points by hook or by crook

mad ain't it, I watch Rangers to see them win, I thought that's a written? of course I'd like them play well, but we can't always do that, just as we'll no play mince all the time, that's football, but I want 3 points by hook or by crook
But then you don’t question the motivations of the referee, going towards their home or having a private investigator track them.

When we travel to the likes of Parkhead, Easter Road, Tynecastle & Pittodrie, I don't really care how the 3 points come as long as we get them.

We now have a run of 4 home league matches from our next 5. This is a good time to rotate a few positions (Sakala and Arfield deserve more chances, and Defoe should get more game time too), and build a run of performances together.

At the end of the day the league will be won by the team with the most points, and the value in picking up three very valuable points in what was always going to be a tricky fixture is not to be underestimated. The game itself, it must be said, was poor in quality, with Rangers not exactly displaying the kind of form befitting league Champions.

But the question is why? When you look at the money Rangers have spent assembling the current squad, and compare it with that of Hibs, there really is no comparison. I know that if the game had been one were Rangers bombarded the Hibs goal for 90 mins., against a team with no ambitions other than to stop Rangers scoring, then you could say with some justification, that a last minute 1-0 victory was acceptable. Breaking down determined, physically orientated teams who park the bus is never easy - even if one team is vastly superior from a technical/skill-based perspective.

But this isn't how the game went down. Much of Rangers play was characterized by lethargy, sloppiness, lack of aggression - I could go on. It's by no means the first time we have seen this type of performance from this Rangers team either. I can only attribute it to a character flaw in many of the players. They simply don't enjoy having to mix it up with opponents who set out to get in their face, hoping that at some point during the game they'll get a break, score a goal or two, and then escape back to the dressing room. What's needed IMO, are a few 'type A' personalities who can cajole, shout, and goad some of their more passive teammates into showing some fighting spirit as befits a proper Rangers team. Unfortunately, we don't have any.

Kent was in on goal if Porteous didn't foul him
I thought that as well. Everyone is saying we didn't look like scoring but if Kent hadn't been tripped he must have scored. Gio has got us back to not leaking goals. Now it is his goal to get us scoring more than the opposition. That Morelos header was the biggest sitter missed.

I get it, and honestly, i'm absolutely delighted we got there in the end.
It's a huge 3 points in the league and a tough venue to get full points as well.

But this whole total disregard to the performance tonight (mostly going forward) because we won the 3 pts is dangerous.
Now i'm not having a go at anyone because I get it plus we all have different perspectives and I get what a lot of people are saying. Also lots of people are just generally more positive thinking and tend not to see negatives at times.

However, for me, it's dangerous to paper over poor performances so casually.

For me, it's very much a result bias opinion on here for most. If we would have dropped points in that game which was looking very very likely, as we weren't creating an awful lot at all, then we wouldn't be saying anything about 3 pts, and those that are now, the majority would be on here complaining about the performance.

We can't play like that very often against, for me, what was a poor Hibs tonight. That isn't going to be good enough in the long run and it certainly won't cut it in a lot of games. So for me, performance is important. Fair enough we grind things out, but all I'll say is, if we do drop points in the near future, no one on this board tonight who is just disregarding the performance so casually should have anything to say.

There is nothing wrong with saying that we're delighted to get the win but we were fortunate to win (not to lose, that didn't look likely either) and the performance needs to be better.

Hopefully tonight was a bit of a one off offensively, or at least few and far between.
Gio, results wise, has done fantastic, and full credit because it's a really tough wee period for us and he's started it well.
But the performances for the coming games needs to be better.

I think we should probably look to offload Davis a little, he looked off it tonight.
Kamara has looked solid in that double or single pivot so comfortable with him in there.
I was really pleased with Barasic though. Thought he defended really well.
Bassey really good first half, a little over confident in spots 2nd half, but overall another solid display.

Definitely plenty to be happy about; just don't disregard actual performances when it suits us though, because we won't be singing the same tune had it ended the way it maybe should and could have tonight.
That’s 3 threads now from various tactical masterminds describing us as poor tonight. We dominated possession, had more shots and more corners, our goalie never made a save and we were playing a team away that pumped us 2 weeks ago.
is there a harder support to please than ours?

3 points are all that matters to some supporters on here.

This isn’t the case for management and players

Personally I watch football to be entertained and perform well not necessarily to see us win every week.

After the game at Hampden we just put to bed an absolute horror show

I'll forgive the poor performance considering the amount of fight and heart the team showed compared to 10 days ago

That's right, in 10 days we have 3 wins,2 clean sheets qualified for Europa League knockouts with a game to spare and we are currently 7 points clear at the top of the league with more goals scored than the gallowgate globetrotters

So,yeah forgive me if I enjoy a win at a very difficult ground less than 2 weeks into a new managers tenure with players learning a new system
This is precisely how we should be feeling.2 out of the 3 GVB games have produced good performances. I am happy with what I have seen. A win after playing shite is something I am more than happy to take last night with the knowledge that I know that we can do better and have.

Best thing about last night was the clean sheet. I thought save for a couple of rash clearances, we were solid.

After the game at Hampden we just put to bed an absolute horror show

I'll forgive the poor performance considering the amount of fight and heart the team showed compared to 10 days ago

That's right, in 10 days we have 3 wins,2 clean sheets qualified for Europa League knockouts with a game to spare and we are currently 7 points clear at the top of the league with more goals scored than the gallowgate globetrotters

So,yeah forgive me if I enjoy a win at a very difficult ground less than 2 weeks into a new managers tenure with players learning a new system
Stop talking so much sense! :))

The way I saw the game was the whole team were having an off night ,but they dug in and got the result ,we struggle with the spoonburners pace upfront but dealt with it better than we did 10 days ago at Hampden and I thought our players stood up to the physical battle well ,Gio will instill his way of playing into this team but it will take time .

It's a huge 3 points in the league and a tough venue to get full points as well.

But this whole total disregard to the performance tonight (mostly going forward) because we won the 3 pts is dangerous.
Now i'm not having a go at anyone because I get it plus we all have different perspectives and I get what a lot of people are saying. Also lots of people are just generally more positive thinking and tend not to see negatives at times.

For me, it's very much a result bias opinion on here for most. If we would have dropped points in that game which was looking very very likely, as we weren't creating an awful lot at all, then we wouldn't be saying anything about 3 pts, and those that are now, the majority would be on here complaining about the performance.

We can't play like that very often against, for me, what was a poor Hibs tonight. That isn't going to be good enough in the long run and it certainly won't cut it in a lot of games. So for me, performance is important. Fair enough we grind things out, but all I'll say is, if we do drop points in the near future, no one on this board tonight who is just disregarding the performance so casually should have anything to say.

There is nothing wrong with saying that we're delighted to get the win but we were fortunate to win (not to lose, that didn't look likely either) and the performance needs to be better.

Hopefully tonight was a bit of a one off offensively, or at least few and far between.
Gio, results wise, has done fantastic, and full credit because it's a really tough wee period for us and he's started it well.

I think we should probably look to offload Davis a little, he looked off it tonight.
Kamara has looked solid in that double or single pivot so comfortable with him in there.
Bassey really good first half, a little over confident in spots 2nd half, but overall another solid display.

Definitely plenty to be happy about; just don't disregard actual performances when it suits us though, because we won't be singing the same tune had it ended the way it maybe should and could have tonight.
Grateful for the three points but our passing was poor at times,Hagi for me seems to be caught too many times and Kent both of them need to release passes quicker, especially Kent where they double up onhim. I thought we defended really well but gave them possession way too many times. Delighted with the clean sheet all the same. I'm glad the gaffer highlighted those lapses in the game and maybe that will come with more training sessions. I think the performances will come good,to be fair they defended well also.

Our passing was poor and midfield to laboured until Arfield came on it looked old and tired at times.
Never really created that much, or really looked like scoring tbh

Will we see a couple of changes Saturday or keep a bit of rotation for Lyon? We’ve been balls to the wall Sunday/Thursday/Sunday/Wednesday then on to Saturday. All with lots going on in the background and no doubt changing training and fitness methods.

No offence intended. But that’s a garbage attitude. We were pish.

One stupid decision from Porteous away from dropping points

We were very poor in the final third.

We got away with one
It was the same v Sparta

The quality of our play has been atrocious at times

Kent abs hagi make so many poor decisions and lose the ball continually

Driving me bonkers

You can tell how so many folk were looking forward to having a hissy fit on here if we dropped points.

Then Rangers spoiled that by winning the game.

Absolute wee weirdos who revel in being miserable.

Said exact same tonight to my mate. We were never looking like scoring tonight where as Hibs looked dangerous anytime they went forward
I thought that at the game also, but I think that’s just the way a fan thinks. If you watch back the highlights apart from Goldson’s block when Newell played it along the front of goal they never created anything. We on the other hand had more chances.

And it is.

A quite ridiculous rant minutes after a win, almost like you had it prepared ready to go if we didn't get the result, pretty funny to see some wasted rage though.

If it was Ross County at home or something and we were putting in poor performances against them then I'd be concerned. However, not long changed manager, three real banana skins, and we've done what's required in every single one.

Incidentally I’ve just caught up on MOTD and it appears that both Chelsea and City rode their luck big time against Watford and Villa respectively and very lucky to come away with wins. They both conceded far more genuine chances at goals than we did. Would Tuchel and Guardiola be fussed this morning? Not a jot. Winning games like these are the staple of title challenging clubs.

I don’t know why folk see squads assembled with billions of pounds having sub standard games but expect Rangers to be world class every game.

It doesn’t work like that and last night was actually similar to a number of games last season, which we won 1-0.

I think you could say they had 2 real chances over the piece and we had at least 5, defensively we are much better under Gio already.

Guy only started last week ffs 3 wins from 3 , chill.

Performance is secondary to points
Points is all that matters
Would rather win ugly than put on a stunning performance and drop points.
We can leave that to the passing kings of Europe over the city

Bottom line is at the end of the season 3 points is all that matters, how we got them really becomes a irrelevant. However we were pretty poor is aspects of our play last night and the middle of the park is the issue for me, Davis looks well off the pace and him and Kamara together are not direct enough, we were back to the side to side, back, side to side and repeat of previous, when Arfield came on that changed and we seemed more direct whether that was sheer desperation as time was ticking by and points were getting dropped, perhaps. I was surprised Arfield and Sakala were on the bench, Sakala is in a vein of form and his confidence is high, we should be making full use of that form as it could evaporate as quickly as it arrived. We did look fairly solid at the back and limited a decent front two to very little which is a massive plus point but I did think GvB was slow with making the required changes to win the game.

A difficult away fixture ticked off with 3 points.

Some people on here are not happy unless they are moaning.

Was it a great performance going forward? No. Were we slack? Yes.

However, we passed it about great last season at Easter Road and only got a 2 2 draw, I'll take last night every time.

Results bias.

Christ almighty.

Missed the point entirely, deliberately, I imagine.

But carry on.

Results bias.

Christ almighty.

The entire thread is a total red neck.

Bottom line is at the end of the season 3 points is all that matters, how we got them really becomes a irrelevant. However we were pretty poor is aspects of our play last night and the middle of the park is the issue for me, Davis looks well off the pace and him and Kamara together are not direct enough, we were back to the side to side, back, side to side and repeat of previous, when Arfield came on that changed and we seemed more direct whether that was sheer desperation as time was ticking by and points were getting dropped, perhaps. I was surprised Arfield and Sakala were on the bench, Sakala is in a vein of form and his confidence is high, we should be making full use of that form as it could evaporate as quickly as it arrived. We did look fairly solid at the back and limited a decent front two to very little which is a massive plus point but I did think GvB was slow with making the required changes to win the game.

A difficult away fixture ticked off with 3 points.

I agree. We looked quite strong at the back bar the wee sleepy moment Kent had at the throw in, but terrific work from Goldson at the back post to deny a certain goal.

Midfield to final third (Kamara aside) for me was so slack and wasted so many opportunities.
I think Davis needs "offloaded" as a manager would say. I don't think he is one of our best options currently. But he will return back to good form, it's not slating him, I just think he needs a bit of time on the bench because i'm not pleased with his performances, generally. Just an opinion.

Although the bottom line certainly is that we got the 3 pts, and something i'm thankful for.
My point really is about those posters having a go at people for even referencing a poor performance when the reality is, we were close to not having those 3 pts, and I'd bet my bottom dollar a high % of those posters moaning about others referencing the performance would be doing EXACTLY that had we lost?

Hence results bias. The input would have been exactly the same.

We were dreadful, especially second half....and we can't ignore that BUT I don't think Gio will ignore it. I am 99% certain he's identifying same tired old faces we are.

It's a fcuking cringe fest. 3 points at Easter Rd. Results bias :D
I fear for FF on January 2nd.
I definitely think we will beat them but it's going to be a very tight 1-0 or 2-1 kind of game.

Hibs at home or away has been a tough one for us since the 3-0 way back in December 2019. Think we haven't managed to beat them by more than a goal since then plus we had that 2-2 draw last season and defeat in the cup 2 weeks ago.

Get a pretty decent win against them and FF is freaking out over the performance.

Its December. The schedule is packed and the matches are tough. Results are the only thing that matters.

Look forward to the next time you greet about a result because of a p!sh performance then
Wow.

So basically you don't mind so much when we lose cos it gives you the opportunity to put the boot in on supporters you see as being too positive or not critical enough?

Fact of the matter is that even in a pretty good season you can expect us to drop 20 points or so and I can pretty much guarantee you that dropped points come only when the performance is poor.

If we win every game in December and beat the tims then that would be an 11 game winning run. Pretty exceptional. So it's fair to assume that we will drop points in the next few weeks. So you'll get a chance to do your "I told you so" rant soon enough.

We are fans - we aren't taking training today. What do you want us to do? Be miserable because we didn't play well? There are some odd attitudes about how positive or negative people are on this forum influence things when they obviously don't.

3 points are all that matters to some supporters on here.

This isn’t the case for management and players

Personally I watch football to be entertained and perform well not necessarily to see us win every week.

I watch Rangers to see us win, if we get a performance with it, superb. So you were happier after the hearts game, where we played them off the park, compared to last night when we got the 3 points?

Results bias.

Christ almighty.

Our neighbours are currently wanking themselves silly over performances, yet they are 4 points behind. Results over performance will win you the title.

haven't seen someone take a shit kicking like the OP has is in this thread since Murphy in RoboCop TBH
Hahaha - good memories.

I don't feel in the slightest shitkicked, though, to be fair.

I know for a fact that had we not snuck it in the end (which we can all be delighted about), then the same people would be bleeting about the game and performance.

It's the ones who have had a go at others for even referencing the performance now that we won it.

I get that's it's not a popular view to have a go at hypocrites, but it is what it is.

Then there's obviously the people who try to turn it into something it never was.

Hahaha - good memories.

I don't feel in the slightest shitkicked, though, to be fair.

I know for a fact that had we not snuck it in the end (which we can all be delighted about), then the same people would be bleeting about the game and performance.

It's the ones who have had a go at others for even referencing the performance now that we won it.

I get that's it's not a popular view to have a go at hypocrites, but it is what it is.

Then there's obviously the people who try to turn it into something it never was.

Can you fly Bobby IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back