"3 points are all that matters"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, you'll never find me stamping my feet after a win away at any cnut. Especially a notoriously difficult venue.
Nae stamping - just pointing out the hypocrisy.

(Had to check grammar there in case the grammar police Mr. Lovenkrands caught me out. Apologies for any spelling or grammar mistakes on a forum ffs :D:D)

I watch Rangers to see us win, if we get a performance with it, superb. So you were happier after the hearts game, where we played them off the park, compared to last night when we got the 3 points?

I’d imagine if we are consistently playing teams off the park - we will be successful when prizes are been given out in may. If we consistently aren’t playing well - we will win nowt. (Incidentally didn’t think we were that bad last night - defensively big improvement). Therefore I don’t shit the bed after results like hearts.

Hahaha - good memories.

I don't feel in the slightest shitkicked, though, to be fair.

I know for a fact that had we not snuck it in the end (which we can all be delighted about), then the same people would be bleeting about the game and performance.

It's the ones who have had a go at others for even referencing the performance now that we won it.

I get that's it's not a popular view to have a go at hypocrites, but it is what it is.

Then there's obviously the people who try to turn it into something it never was.
If we didn't win folk would react differently? That's revolutionary stuff.

Of course people want us to play better, but you have said on this thread you are looking forward to us dropping points so you can gloat. Makes your concern about our performances look a bit made up.

I think had this been a Gerrard team and the continuation of poor performances I'd be more concerned.

But as this is a new manager implementing his new system I think we have to be happy with the 3 points. This is a tough run of games and starting it by dropping points would have started to build unwanted pressure on top of the normal pressure they are under to win every game.

If we didn't win folk would react differently? That's revolutionary stuff.

Of course people want us to play better, but you have said on this thread you are looking forward to us dropping points so you can gloat. Makes your concern about our performances look a bit made up.

Twist that however you feel.
I can twist someone who picks fault on grammar in a forum. It is what it is. I'm sure you're smart enough to see the point i'm making to that poster whether you agree with it or not.

I'm delighted we won. Repeatedly.
Same as it's definitely not a go at Gio. Fantastic job so far.

I'm not saying we don't walk away happy - like i've also said numerous times.

But just answer me this, and tell me that i'm wrong (genuinely):

Had we played that game the same way and drawn it (Hibs didn't look likely at all to score) -

Would a lot of the same people having a go at me on here be talking about the performance and it being culpable for dropping points? Genuinely, am I wrong there?

My issue isn't that we can fix that, like you or others have said (and isn't the point of the post); my issue is with posters having a go at other posters on threads outwith this for complaining or having a go about the performance.

There is room for both - by all means celebrate the win. Just don't have a go at people outwith this thread for talking about the performance as well, because ultimately that's EXACTLY what would have happened had we dropped the points.

I can twist someone who picks fault on grammar in a forum. It is what it is. I'm sure you're smart enough to see the point i'm making to that poster whether you agree with it or not.

Had we played that game the same way and drawn it (Hibs didn't look likely at all to score) -

Would a lot of the same people having a go at me on here be talking about the performance and it being culpable for dropping points? Genuinely, am I wrong there?

My issue isn't that we can fix that, like you or others have said (and isn't the point of the post); my issue is with posters having a go at other posters on threads outwith this for complaining or having a go about the performance.

There is room for both - by all means celebrate the win. Just don't have a go at people outwith this thread for talking about the performance as well, because ultimately that's EXACTLY what would have happened had we dropped the points.
Picking you up on grammar was arsey to be fair - I apologise for that.

Only point I'm making is that I'd expect our coaching staff to be worried about the performance and to do something about it. We are fans - of course we would be upset if the result was different. I'm still not sure what you expect us to do, because I don't see anyone suggesting we were brilliant last night. Just people who are glad we won, and who trust our manager to sort the performances

Picking you up on grammar was arsey to be fair - I apologise for that.

Only point I'm making is that I'd expect our coaching staff to be worried about the performance and to do something about it. We are fans - of course we would be upset if the result was different. I'm still not sure what you expect us to do, because I don't see anyone suggesting we were brilliant last night. Just people who are glad we won, and who trust our manager to sort the performances
Na, it's fine.

Honestly, nothing we can do, totally accept that obviously.

I just read several people having a go at others for mentioning the performance when I knew full well that wouldn't be the case had the unthinkable happened and took exception to it, that's all.

I'm not having a go at anyone who is happy with the pts and don't care about the result - providing you're not someone having a go at someone else for having an opinion about the performance as well (if that reads well and makes sense).

What is the actual point in your post though?

If we dropped points folk would be raging at the performance? Of course they would. We won playing under par,it's what winners do.

Put it this way,we absolutely blew the doors off Celtic in the league cup final 2 years ago, performance wise we were pretty much fantastic. Guess what,a dodgy offside goal for the scum and we lost.

I know which I'd rather have.

This thread really is just a way to have a go at fans who have the ability to see 3 points in the bag as a good thing despite the performance.

I’d imagine if we are consistently playing teams off the park - we will be successful when prizes are been given out in may. If we consistently aren’t playing well - we will win nowt. (Incidentally didn’t think we were that bad last night - defensively big improvement). Therefore I don’t shit the bed after results like hearts.
I didn’t ask if you shit the bed though. I asked if you were happier.

In 1974 I watched a magnificent Dutch team, playing a brand of football that couldn’t fail to entertain lose a World Cup Final to German side who, despite some magnificent, world class footballers, were less adventurous and less entertaining.
I decided then that I’d rather win first with the entertainment thing coming a distant second in the priority list.
Nearly fifty years on, I still see it the same way.

Don't think I've seen anyone say it was a good performance. Gio himself said we had a lot of slack passes and weren't sharp enough in attack.

Easter Road, Pittodrie, Tynecastle are places where you just try to "keep the zero" as Gio says, and get the job done. Not one f*ck given about what ifs. No idea why you felt the need to write such a big thread about it.

I get it, and honestly, i'm absolutely delighted we got there in the end.
It's a huge 3 points in the league and a tough venue to get full points as well.

But this whole total disregard to the performance tonight (mostly going forward) because we won the 3 pts is dangerous.
Now i'm not having a go at anyone because I get it plus we all have different perspectives and I get what a lot of people are saying. Also lots of people are just generally more positive thinking and tend not to see negatives at times.

However, for me, it's dangerous to paper over poor performances so casually.

For me, it's very much a result bias opinion on here for most. If we would have dropped points in that game which was looking very very likely, as we weren't creating an awful lot at all, then we wouldn't be saying anything about 3 pts, and those that are now, the majority would be on here complaining about the performance.

We can't play like that very often against, for me, what was a poor Hibs tonight. That isn't going to be good enough in the long run and it certainly won't cut it in a lot of games. So for me, performance is important. Fair enough we grind things out, but all I'll say is, if we do drop points in the near future, no one on this board tonight who is just disregarding the performance so casually should have anything to say.

There is nothing wrong with saying that we're delighted to get the win but we were fortunate to win (not to lose, that didn't look likely either) and the performance needs to be better.

Hopefully tonight was a bit of a one off offensively, or at least few and far between.
Gio, results wise, has done fantastic, and full credit because it's a really tough wee period for us and he's started it well.
But the performances for the coming games needs to be better.

I think we should probably look to offload Davis a little, he looked off it tonight.
Kamara has looked solid in that double or single pivot so comfortable with him in there.
I was really pleased with Barasic though. Thought he defended really well.
Bassey really good first half, a little over confident in spots 2nd half, but overall another solid display.

Definitely plenty to be happy about; just don't disregard actual performances when it suits us though, because we won't be singing the same tune had it ended the way it maybe should and could have tonight.
Of course we wouldn't be saying anything about 3 points if we lost because of playing poorly. We lost so no 3 point's, but we played poorly and won 3 points. Sure I would prefer would did play better, but I would rather play crap and win 3 points, and play brilliantly and lose.

For me this sort of thing is like Tim stuff. They get put out of Europe. The most goals against them, but they are top of Europe for passing. The same as having the most tackles or possession. It means nothing unless you get the 3 point's.

That’s 3 threads now from various tactical masterminds describing us as poor tonight. We dominated possession, had more shots and more corners, our goalie never made a save and we were playing a team away that pumped us 2 weeks ago.
is there a harder support to please than ours?
I thought we were decent value, Hibs had chances as did Prague as they are decent sides. Ability and desire shone through though and out big players in Kent and Roofe produced big match winning moments

Of course we wouldn't be saying anything about 3 points if we lost because of playing poorly. We lost so no 3 point's, but we played poorly and won 3 points. Sure I would prefer would did play better, but I would rather play crap and win 3 points, and play brilliantly and lose.

For me this sort of thing is like Tim stuff. They get put out of Europe. The most goals against them, but they are top of Europe for passing. The same as having the most tackles or possession. It means nothing unless you get the 3 point's.
I wonder if Hammers fans are moaning that Moyes isn’t playing the ‘West Ham way’ or are they excited to be in with a shot at CL football and let’s be honest a decent crack at winning the entire Europa tournament with a kind draw

I wonder if Hammers fans are moaning that Moyes isn’t playing the ‘West Ham way’ or are they excited to be in with a shot at CL football and let’s be honest a decent crack at winning the entire Europa tournament with a kind draw
You can guarantee they aren't complaining in the slightest. For me to many Rangers fans think we can just turn up and play teams of the park. Don't get me wrong on paper we should, but football is funny like that.

At the end of the day 3 points are all that matters. You can't argue with that in any shape or form.

On a non Rangers point. West Ham are definitely a team to be watched this season. Some pretty decent results

Missed the point entirely, deliberately, I imagine.

But carry on.
Mate, you’ve had a ‘mare here.

Results bias might be the single most wanky way of saying ‘supporters want their team to win’ I’ve ever seen.

Of course performance matters, but if we play that way for 38 games and win the league I couldn’t give a flying feck.

You’re on some self righteous quest to ‘point out people’s hypocrisy’.

Why? We’re all supporters together, surely everyone has ‘results bias’ as you put it? What does it matter?

Results bias might be the single most wanky way of saying ‘supporters want their team to win’ I’ve ever seen.

Of course performance matters, but if we play that way for 38 games and win the league I couldn’t give a flying feck.

Why? We’re all supporters together, surely everyone has ‘results bias’ as you put it? What does it matter?

Im with you, 10 games like last night, good chance we win the league, 10 games like Hearts we will lose the league.

After the game at Hampden we just put to bed an absolute horror show

I'll forgive the poor performance considering the amount of fight and heart the team showed compared to 10 days ago

That's right, in 10 days we have 3 wins,2 clean sheets qualified for Europa League knockouts with a game to spare and we are currently 7 points clear at the top of the league with more goals scored than the gallowgate globetrotters

So,yeah forgive me if I enjoy a win at a very difficult ground less than 2 weeks into a new managers tenure with players learning a new system

Spot on PB.

Last night was huge.

Nope - still missed the point mate.
Fire on though.

The way I see it, we have no divine right to be smashing teams every week. Hibs away is a tough fixture especially when they’ve literally just smashed us in a semi final. If we win all our tough away fixtures like that that all season I couldn’t give a %^*& personally. 3 points and back up the road does me fine.

It’s so important we keep at least a 4 point buffer with Celtic going in to new year game.

No it isn't. It's not about being miserable, we simply are not playing well. I am surprised you can't take such an analysis when it is hitting you in the face. We've barely played well all season.

4 points ahead crowd simply indicates that it isn't where we are in November that matters but that we should be awake at general trends in our performances. We have not been very good. Masked by the fact celtic have one of their worst starts in decades. Sorry if that offends the perennial optimists.

I'll be direct, I fear that the "aye but we are 4 points ahead" will turn into the "aye but we were 4 points ahead" and I hope I am wrong.

If I am wrong then excellent, I hope that is the case and everything is super excellent. And It is just me castigating people as you put it. Let's see. I hope you're huge optimism is correct and I am wrong.

Spare me the "snidey" stuff for commenting on our performances. Nobody wants to be proved right in saying we're not in good shape.

That ‘I am happy to be proved wrong’ attitude is way too easy. Anyone can say ‘it’s all shite’ then at the end join in the celebrations.

Fans are entitled to enjoy victories without being spoken down to for not being unhappy enough, which is how your post came across.

I tend to find the reason posters do the super pessimist routine is so if it does end badly they can say ‘ah! See I told you so!’ as some sort of perverse insurance policy. Whereas, if it goes well, they say ‘delighted to be proved wrong!’

Each to their own but I don’t think it’s particularly useful or insightful to label other fans as ‘mobs’ or groups different to you for having a more optimistic outlook.

See if the result is all that matters, why watch the game? You can get all that your interested in after the final whistle.
This is a silly argument. Of course we’d all love the performance as well as the result, but if you have to pick one it’s the result all day long.

At the end of the season nobody is going to look back and think ‘wish we played better at Easter Road’ if we win the league.

This is a silly argument. Of course we’d all love the performance as well as the result, but if you have to pick one it’s the result all day long.

At the end of the season nobody is going to look back and think ‘wish we played better at Easter Road’ if we win the league.
It’s a silly argument that you are incapable of refuting so you try to ignore it?
Show me where I advocated any of what you’ve just posted.

I was happy with the win last night obviously but I’m sick of hearing people rolling out that line.

You can’t always play under-par and win. We need performances, we need the team to get fans’ on their feet, it’s not a debate.

Presuming we beat Dundee on Saturday, it’s been a cracking start with some obvious signs of improvement from Gio and the longer he gets on the training ground with the players, the better we’ll get.

It’s a silly argument that you are incapable of refuting so you try to ignore it?
Show me where I advocated any of what you’ve just posted.
Because it doesn’t make any sense. Are you really telling me you’d feel happier this morning if we had put in a great performance and the result was the same? Or if we put in a great performance but drew 1-1?

We all watch the games hoping we play well and win, but at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is the score at full time.

Nope, a result is an outcome, not the process.
The result is only determined at the end of the game.
You could even get that from BBC Shortbread, if the score is all that you’re concerned about.
If I go back and look for the Benfica (3-3) and Hibs (2-2) matches from last season I won't see you losing your shit?

I get it, and honestly, i'm absolutely delighted we got there in the end.
It's a huge 3 points in the league and a tough venue to get full points as well.

But this whole total disregard to the performance tonight (mostly going forward) because we won the 3 pts is dangerous.
Now i'm not having a go at anyone because I get it plus we all have different perspectives and I get what a lot of people are saying. Also lots of people are just generally more positive thinking and tend not to see negatives at times.

However, for me, it's dangerous to paper over poor performances so casually.

For me, it's very much a result bias opinion on here for most. If we would have dropped points in that game which was looking very very likely, as we weren't creating an awful lot at all, then we wouldn't be saying anything about 3 pts, and those that are now, the majority would be on here complaining about the performance.

We can't play like that very often against, for me, what was a poor Hibs tonight. That isn't going to be good enough in the long run and it certainly won't cut it in a lot of games. So for me, performance is important. Fair enough we grind things out, but all I'll say is, if we do drop points in the near future, no one on this board tonight who is just disregarding the performance so casually should have anything to say.

There is nothing wrong with saying that we're delighted to get the win but we were fortunate to win (not to lose, that didn't look likely either) and the performance needs to be better.

Hopefully tonight was a bit of a one off offensively, or at least few and far between.
Gio, results wise, has done fantastic, and full credit because it's a really tough wee period for us and he's started it well.
But the performances for the coming games needs to be better.

I think we should probably look to offload Davis a little, he looked off it tonight.
Kamara has looked solid in that double or single pivot so comfortable with him in there.
I was really pleased with Barasic though. Thought he defended really well.
Bassey really good first half, a little over confident in spots 2nd half, but overall another solid display.

Definitely plenty to be happy about; just don't disregard actual performances when it suits us though, because we won't be singing the same tune had it ended the way it maybe should and could have tonight.
giphy.gif

Like a few games last season.

How did that turn out again?
It turned out fine. Clearly.

However the performances were dropping off and continued this season.

I have come round to the thinking that it looked like gerrard left at the right time for us.

We were sliding and whilst still ahead, we needed no ideas and a fresh face in the dug out.

I'd really like to see Sakala or Roofe get a start surrounded by a fresh Kent, Hagi and Aribo.

Bring on Alfie when we're ahead. He's far better when there's some space in the box!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back