"3 points are all that matters"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The result tends to be determined by what happens during the game.
Exactly why performance is important over the long term, and why people shouldn't be berated for having an opinion on it. Which is what the thread is about. Posters who have had a go at people last night for discussing the poor performance.

It turned out fine. Clearly.

However the performances were dropping off and continued this season.

I have come round to the thinking that it looked like gerrard left at the right time for us.

We were sliding and whilst still ahead, we needed no ideas and a fresh face in the dug out.

I agree,we had definitely gone stale under gerrard and our performances have improved already considering the new management team have had 10 days with the squad and played 3 games,most of the training will have been recovery sessions.

What I've seen so far has been largely encouraging,particularly Gios substitutions which have had a positive effect on the game

Exactly why performance is important over the long term, and why people shouldn't be berated for having an opinion on it. Which is what the thread is about. Posters who have had a go at people last night for discussing the poor performance.
We were away at Easter Road on a Wednesday night in December three weeks after losing our entire management and coaching team.

Wee bit of perspective for you.

That ‘I am happy to be proved wrong’ attitude is way too easy. Anyone can say ‘it’s all shite’ then at the end join in the celebrations.

Fans are entitled to enjoy victories without being spoken down to for not being unhappy enough, which is how your post came across.

I tend to find the reason posters do the super pessimist routine is so if it does end badly they can say ‘ah! See I told you so!’ as some sort of perverse insurance policy. Whereas, if it goes well, they say ‘delighted to be proved wrong!’

Each to their own but I don’t think it’s particularly useful or insightful to label other fans as ‘mobs’ or groups different to you for having a more optimistic outlook.

I absolutely agree with the premise of this.

On the flip side of the same coin, I don't think it's particularly useful, insightful or fair for fans to have a go at other fans for discussing, debating, being annoyed or referencing the poor performance either.

Which is what I came across a lot last night.

When in fact, had we not snuck it in the end, most of those fans would be saying the same things re. performance.

And that, is my major point of debate.

Jota said his favourite Celtic game this season was the one they lost 4-3 to Betis in. I'll take a 1-0 away win at Easter Road and 3 points any day over a decent performance that ends in a draw.

The one game at a time brigade appear to have moved onto measuring performances over results now.

But we played really nice attacking football and scored some great goals.
I think I may have found your misconception.
I’m not saying the result isn’t important, no one is or has. The OP went to some lengths to make that clear.
The argument is whether or not the result is all that matters.
I’d be against playing games behind closed doors and not televising them. But if the final score is all that matters …… why not?

I absolutely agree with the premise of this.

On the flip side of the same coin, I don't think it's particularly useful, insightful or fair for fans to have a go at other fans for discussing, debating, being annoyed or referencing the poor performance either.

Which is what I came across a lot last night.

When in fact, had we not snuck it in the end, most of those fans would be saying the same things re. performance.

And that, is my major point of debate.

Results are what tend to drive fan emotion.

We were probably "better" last night than we were against Hearts, who gives a f*ck about the Hearts game though TBH most fans just want to see our players run about with silver things, "results" like last night help that happen

When the final whistle blows & we walk off the pitch with three points in the bag - that is all that matters - at that moment

But keeping 'continuous improvement' in mind - our management & backroom staff have to analyse, assess, learn & implement the necessary strategies to help the players improve

That improvement -might not always translate into increased entertainment & it might not even be great viewing - but if it's going to help maintain a winning team - so be it

An entertaining team is always desirable - but regularly winning is an entertainment in itself IMO - even if it isn't pretty

That ‘I am happy to be proved wrong’ attitude is way too easy. Anyone can say ‘it’s all shite’ then at the end join in the celebrations.

Fans are entitled to enjoy victories without being spoken down to for not being unhappy enough, which is how your post came across.

I tend to find the reason posters do the super pessimist routine is so if it does end badly they can say ‘ah! See I told you so!’ as some sort of perverse insurance policy. Whereas, if it goes well, they say ‘delighted to be proved wrong!’

Each to their own but I don’t think it’s particularly useful or insightful to label other fans as ‘mobs’ or groups different to you for having a more optimistic outlook.
I think you're being far too polite there. They are acting like emotionally stunted idiots.

Which is fine if the rest of us (and more importantly the team) don't have to put up with their shite attitude. I get that you can't say everything is great all of the time, but they appear to live in a world where they derive zero joy from our games and for following the ups and downs of a season.

I think some people would honestly be better off finding a Sunday league team that wins 18-0 every week and just supporting them.

We were away at Easter Road on a Wednesday night in December three weeks after losing our entire management and coaching team.

Wee bit of perspective for you.
Again - winning and being happy is not the issue. EVERYONE on here will be happy with the 3 pts.
My perspective is absolutely fine in that respect. Very tough venue. Hard game. Won't always be at our best.

That does not excuse some of the abuse / sh*te I saw last night aimed at posters mentioning how poor the performance was. We were 6 or so minutes away from everyone feeling the same way (unless some would be happy with the draw, which admittedly, I would not be).

What would have changed? Nothing.

So again, it's the posters who sit on their high horse having a go at others at least willing to dig a little deeper than the result even when we win - because when we draw or lose, then EVERYONE has something to say about the performance.

Hypocrisy.

I’m not saying the result isn’t important, no one is or has. The OP went to some lengths to make that clear.
I’d be against playing games behind closed doors and not televising them. But if the final score is all that matters …… why not?
Because ultimately the result is the only thing that matters at Rangers. We try to have both and win with style. But sometimes you need to dig in and grind a result out. I'm not quite sure why this has to be pointed out to people who have watched football for years. I hope Celtic play wonderful, majestic, beautiful football tonight and draw 1-1.

Results are what tend to drive fan emotion.

We were probably "better" last night than we were against Hearts, who gives a f*ck about the Hearts game though TBH most fans just want to see our players run about with silver things, "results" like last night help that happen
Totally agree - had we drawn that, I would feel 1000% worse so results absolutely drive fan emotion.

I was delighted last night (i've also got a sneeky suspicion Hearts are going to take points tonight to further buoy my mood).

I saw people take abuse last night that wasn't fair, just because they referenced the poor performance, maybe even complained about it. Imo we were all 6-10 minutes away from doing that and only a late goal saved us from that.

Celebrate the 3 pts -Absolutely.
Discuss performance - ok in my book
But celebrate the 3 pts and talk shit about those who do both of the above - that's where my issue is.

I don't care if you don't care about the performance, because I get it. I only care if you also have the cheek (not saying you specifically do despite our differences) to slag someone who does care.

Totally agree - had we drawn that, I would feel 1000% worse so results absolutely drive fan emotion.

I was delighted last night (i've also got a sneeky suspicion Hearts are going to take points tonight to further buoy my mood).

I saw people take abuse last night that wasn't fair, just because they referenced the poor performance, maybe even complained about it. Imo we were all 6-10 minutes away from doing that and only a late goal saved us from that.

Celebrate the 3 pts -Absolutely.
Discuss performance - ok in my book
But celebrate the 3 pts and talk shit about those who do both of the above - that's where my issue is.

I don't care if you don't care about the performance, because I get it. I only care if you also have the cheek (not saying you specifically do despite our differences) to slag someone who does care.

fanta-orange-24x-330ml-cans_temp.jpg

Because ultimately the result is the only thing that matters at Rangers. We try to have both and win with style. But sometimes you need to dig in and grind a result out. I'm not quite sure why this has to be pointed out to people who have watched football for years. I hope Celtic play wonderful, majestic, beautiful football tonight and draw 1-1.
I’ll try once more and then that’s me.
What do you prefer, you must pick one.
. a 1-0 that made you want to stab your eyes out?
. a 1-0 where we played very well and you talked about for ages?
As for them, I agree, with them I care only about the result. Not so my own team.

Commentator, just give up with BB. He has no intentions at all of listening, reading or even trying to understand the main point at all.

He has dug his line in the sand and will refuse to move from it regardless.

You get guys like that, they're an absolute hoot.

I get it, and honestly, i'm absolutely delighted we got there in the end.
It's a huge 3 points in the league and a tough venue to get full points as well.

But this whole total disregard to the performance tonight (mostly going forward) because we won the 3 pts is dangerous.
Now i'm not having a go at anyone because I get it plus we all have different perspectives and I get what a lot of people are saying. Also lots of people are just generally more positive thinking and tend not to see negatives at times.

However, for me, it's dangerous to paper over poor performances so casually.

For me, it's very much a result bias opinion on here for most. If we would have dropped points in that game which was looking very very likely, as we weren't creating an awful lot at all, then we wouldn't be saying anything about 3 pts, and those that are now, the majority would be on here complaining about the performance.

We can't play like that very often against, for me, what was a poor Hibs tonight. That isn't going to be good enough in the long run and it certainly won't cut it in a lot of games. So for me, performance is important. Fair enough we grind things out, but all I'll say is, if we do drop points in the near future, no one on this board tonight who is just disregarding the performance so casually should have anything to say.

There is nothing wrong with saying that we're delighted to get the win but we were fortunate to win (not to lose, that didn't look likely either) and the performance needs to be better.

Hopefully tonight was a bit of a one off offensively, or at least few and far between.
Gio, results wise, has done fantastic, and full credit because it's a really tough wee period for us and he's started it well.
But the performances for the coming games needs to be better.

I think we should probably look to offload Davis a little, he looked off it tonight.
Kamara has looked solid in that double or single pivot so comfortable with him in there.
I was really pleased with Barasic though. Thought he defended really well.
Bassey really good first half, a little over confident in spots 2nd half, but overall another solid display.

Definitely plenty to be happy about; just don't disregard actual performances when it suits us though, because we won't be singing the same tune had it ended the way it maybe should and could have tonight.
Chill the fook out.

We weren't great up front but still created chances and could have scored a few. Davis had a decent shot, Aribo picked wrong option, Kent had a few and Morelos should have buried that header. On another day a few of them go in. We limited them to very few chances, this was a team that embarrassed us a few weeks ago.

I’ll try once more and then that’s me.
What do you prefer, you must pick one.
. a 1-0 that made you want to stab your eyes out?
. a 1-0 where we played very well and you talked about for ages?
As for them, I agree, with them I care only about the result. Not so my own team.
I'd take the first option just to wind guys like you up tbh

I thought that as well. Everyone is saying we didn't look like scoring but if Kent hadn't been tripped he must have scored. Gio has got us back to not leaking goals. Now it is his goal to get us scoring more than the opposition. That Morelos header was the biggest sitter missed.
I thought we did look like scoring tbh. Aribo's dribble and shot in the box, Arfield's shot, Kent had that effort blocked by Porteous. We were getting at them towards the last 15.

Commentator, just give up with BB. He has no intentions at all of listening, reading or even trying to understand the main point at all.

He has dug his line in the sand and will refuse to move from it regardless.

You get guys like that, they're an absolute hoot.
See my post above, I agree.
We go nuts, both ways, because of what happens during the game. Not because we saw the result later.
Well, not in the same way

I thought we did look like scoring tbh. Aribo's dribble and shot in the box, Arfield's shot, Kent had that effort blocked by Porteous. We were getting at them towards the last 15.
Last 15 was definitely better.
Kent was getting a bit more joy, obv with penalty but also moments before when he nearly done 3 of them in the box.

Absolutely cringing at this. Geez fcuking peace. A win away at a venue, were let's be honest a draw would have been an acceptable result, is a HUGE result.

Unless you think we should win every game by 2 or 3?
Acceptable to who?
I always expect Rangers to beat Hibs, always have and always will. I know it won't always happen but never have and never will settle for anything other than a win in these games.
To do anything else is a defeatist attitude.

Tyncastle
easter road
scumhut
pittodrie
livi

all places i will accept ANY 3 points.

And we have 6 points from 2 of them with 3 more to come in just over 4 weeks

I couldn't give a shite how bad we are if we take all 9 of those points.

Was the OP as concerned after we beat the scum,we were far from our best that day too

Acceptable to who?
I always expect Rangers to beat Hibs, always have and always will. I know it won't always happen but never have and never will settle for anything other than a win in these games.
To do anything else is a defeatist attitude.
Great soundbite mate. We drew 2-2 at Easter Road last season. Was that an unacceptable result?

It's a huge 3 points in the league and a tough venue to get full points as well.

But this whole total disregard to the performance tonight (mostly going forward) because we won the 3 pts is dangerous.
Now i'm not having a go at anyone because I get it plus we all have different perspectives and I get what a lot of people are saying. Also lots of people are just generally more positive thinking and tend not to see negatives at times.

For me, it's very much a result bias opinion on here for most. If we would have dropped points in that game which was looking very very likely, as we weren't creating an awful lot at all, then we wouldn't be saying anything about 3 pts, and those that are now, the majority would be on here complaining about the performance.

We can't play like that very often against, for me, what was a poor Hibs tonight. That isn't going to be good enough in the long run and it certainly won't cut it in a lot of games. So for me, performance is important. Fair enough we grind things out, but all I'll say is, if we do drop points in the near future, no one on this board tonight who is just disregarding the performance so casually should have anything to say.

There is nothing wrong with saying that we're delighted to get the win but we were fortunate to win (not to lose, that didn't look likely either) and the performance needs to be better.

Hopefully tonight was a bit of a one off offensively, or at least few and far between.
Gio, results wise, has done fantastic, and full credit because it's a really tough wee period for us and he's started it well.

I think we should probably look to offload Davis a little, he looked off it tonight.
Kamara has looked solid in that double or single pivot so comfortable with him in there.
Bassey really good first half, a little over confident in spots 2nd half, but overall another solid display.

Definitely plenty to be happy about; just don't disregard actual performances when it suits us though, because we won't be singing the same tune had it ended the way it maybe should and could have tonight.
Sorry, but thats a very good argument at completely the wrong time.
That's been the case while Gerrard was here at the beginning of the season.

You can see Gio is trying to change things, our style, and last night he maybe asked the strikers to change a little too much too quickly.
We got the 3 points though. And the players are another step closer to getting it right Gios way. Another 3 points further forward, and another step away from the flaws we've shown all season.
I can't see much except positives on this occasion.

And I'm usually the first moaning about the bias of the full time result v performance.

TLDR

Frustrated. Ask me how I felt at the end of the season.
HAHAHAHA

Your ability to read, comprehend or reason with others is so low.

So in summary:

Everyone: You can only feel something about a game or result at the end of the season when the league title is determined.

If we lose title; it's acceptable to be frustrated/annoyed (<- insert suitable adjective) in hindsight
If we win; It's unacceptable to be frusrtated/annoyed (<- insert suitable adjective) in real time.

Right you are mate, you're having an absolute 'mare here. I'd just quit while I was behind if I were you.

Going back a while till you find a season we win a title without dropping points v Hibs or put in a shit display against Hibs TBH.

drew their last season early doors, people lose their shit and some want Gerrard sacked, nothing has changed with that team, same old same etc, slog of a 1-0 win later in the season, 2010/11 rinsed at home against them, utter shambles of a display really, letting John Rankin run riot , 09/10 shit the bed a bit and draw with them at home, 08/09 we draw there in a massive game for us in the context of the season.

We should hand those titles back IMO.

Last edited:
Frustrated. Ask me how I felt at the end of the season.
Two different things.
You stated that a draw would've been acceptable.
I differ in that I expect Rangers to beat this Hibs team every time we play.
I know it won't always turn out that way but to go into a game v Hibs settling for a draw? Not for me.

Going back a while till you find a season we win a title without dropping points v Hibs or put in a shit display against Hibs TBH.

drew their last season early doors, people lose their shit and some want Gerrard sacked, nothing has changed with that team, same old same etc, slog of a 1-0 win later in the season, 2010/11 rinsed at home against them, utter shambles of a display really, letting John Rankin run riot , 09/10 shit the bed a bit and draw with them at home, 08/09 we draw their in a massive game for us in the context of the season.

We should hand those titles back IMO.
Hyperbole.

How fun. That's exactly what we're saying.

Two different things.
You stated that a draw would've been acceptable.
I differ in that I expect Rangers to beat this Hibs team every time we play.
I know it won't always turn out that way but to go into a game v Hibs settling for a draw? Not for me.
Alex, please hold all your opinions until the end of the season where we can all talk in hindsight.
That's how it's done now.

Gio has been in the job 9 days and in that time got maximum points from 3 tough games.

He’ll know he has work to do but on the other hand look at the last time we played each of these clubs.

I totally disagree with the OP here.

3 points is all that matters. Then worry about performances. Can we improve? 100% & Gio & his team know this.

Offer me the same performance & results over the Xmas period & New Years game @ the Piggery & 56 is secured!

Winning is all that counts being at Rangers.

It wasn't a great performance by any matter of means we controlled the majority of the game our play in the final 3rd was honking which let us down on the night. Had that been better we would have won the game by more but we didnt and we got a late winner. Sometimes 3 points means more than the performance and last night was one of those nights.

Performances aren't going to be great at this time of year December is a big month where you have to grind out results. That result was massive last night in terms of our season even more so after what happened in the cup tie and Gio being in place for what 2 weeks and 6 training sessions? Some people are just never happy on here and always want to moan about something.

I totally disagree with the OP here.

3 points is all that matters. Then worry about performances. Can we improve? 100% & Gio & his team know this.

Offer me the same performance & results over the Xmas period & New Years game @ the Piggery & 56 is secured!

Winning is all that counts being at Rangers.

Agree to an extent. But humour me here genuinely:

No one can offer you that.

The question is, if we had the same performance over the X Period, New Years and the Piggery - what is the likelihood of takin those maximum points?

Agree to an extent. But humour me here genuinely:

No one can offer you that.

The question is, if we had the same performance over the X Period, New Years and the Piggery - what is the likelihood of takin those maximum points?
I agree with bits of what you say.

Last season at the start Celtic were picking up points at difficult venues like the 1-0 win at Tannadice when they scored late on. Anyone watching that game could see they were really poor and if that continued they would drop points and that's exactly what happened. If you look at the big picture then performances always matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back