3 teams from the same city

Belfast - linfield, crusaders and glentoran
and red scum makes 4
oops i didn't read the op s thread ....one's we have played ..... only read the title when i replied
was the crus match competitive ,i remember being up at a testimonial for big kirk hunter .
come to think of it ,were any of them competitive

Last edited:
Got to admit that I am also very surprised that we've never played Olympiakos before :oops:
I always find it surprising that we've never played against Lazio or Roma in a Euro competition considering the amount of times we've faced Italian opposition.

That would be a trip and a half.

:)

Might have played Hibs, Hearts and Meadowbank Thistle
We have played competitively against six teams from Edinburgh.

Hearts
Hibs
Meadowbank Thistle
Edinburgh City (the original version) - January 1929, winning 11-1 in the Scottish Cup
St Bernards - 1890s in the Scottish Cup and League
Leith Athletic - 1890s in the League

Might be more.

Have we ever played the 3 Inverness teams? Obviously we have played Caley Thistle and in the past played Clachnacluddin, but did we ever play Caley or Thistle before they merged?

I couldn’t remember their name. :))I knew Braga and Porto weren’t Lisbon based. Have we played any other teams from Lisbon?
You maybe thinking of Boavista who we played in 1986.
They are Portugese but come from Porto :D

Is it their stadium which is right at the top of the hill, you can get to it by cable car?
I think there were two stadiums as we past one on the way to the game thinking that was where we were playing but the bus took us to another stadium.
2004 :D

AAC1223-E-02-A5-4584-9239-7-EADEA890045.jpg

809-A35-B9-D806-4454-8-F5-C-8530-ACE78-C7-A.jpg

Last edited:
Edinburgh. Hearts, Hibs and St Bernards for definite. I'm uncertain if we ever played Leith Athletic or Meadowbank Thistle on past occasions.

Correct they’re from Funchal in Madeira, 600 miles away from Lisbon.

Utterly tremendous wee city, went there as part of a 7 day Canaries cruise, CR7's home town, own's a museum/hotel dedicated to himself right at the port with a statue of him outside it! Tremendous behaviour, that kind of conduct is to be admired :D

Edinburgh. Hearts, Hibs and St Bernards for definite. I'm uncertain if we ever played Leith Athletic or Meadowbank Thistle on past occasions.
We first played Leith Athletic competitively in the league October 3rd 1891 at Bank Park, Leith beat us 3-1. The return fixture was at the First Ibrox Park, Rangers won 3-2 on March 19th 1892.

Meadowbank Thistle - we played them for the first time in the League Cup semi final at Ibrox, September 26th 1984 and won 4-0. The return was two weeks later, 1-1 at Tynecastle.

and red scum makes 4
oops i didn't read the op s thread ....one's we have played ..... only read the title when i replied
was the crus match competitive ,i remember being up at a testimonial for big kirk hunter .
come to think of it ,were any of them competitive
No all friendlies. It was the kirk Hunter testimonial I was thinking of with the crues. I was at it. Think it was the first game we wore our first nike strip

If we ever draw Besiktas, then Istanbul.
Pretty sure we've played Dukla Prague in the past, so with the sparta and slavia scum recently there's another.
London we'd likely need Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham in competition.
Madrid would be Getafe and Atletico?
Getafe is a separate town on outskirts of Madrid. Madrid would be Atletico and Lighting Vallecano

Utterly tremendous wee city, went there as part of a 7 day Canaries cruise, CR7's home town, own's a museum/hotel dedicated to himself right at the port with a statue of him outside it! Tremendous behaviour, that kind of conduct is to be admired :D
Just back from a week there. Museum is excellent. Funchal is brilliant but you really need to like hills!

Yes and Birkenhead is NOT in Liverpool

On a similar note nearly everything single thing that comes to mind when you think "Las Vegas" is NOT in Las Vegas.

And most things you think of when you think "Mexican food" are from Texas, not Mexico.

I always find it surprising that we've never played against Lazio or Roma in a Euro competition considering the amount of times we've faced Italian opposition.

That would be a trip and a half.

:)

Probably be a bit quieter these days, but I'd expect a trip to Rome would be eventful.

If you include friendlies:

Antwerp: Antwerp, Beerschot, Berchem Sport

Dublin: Dolphin, Bohemians, Shelbourne

Lisbon: Benfica, Sporting, Estoril Praia

Paris: CAP, Racing, PSG

Toronto: Toronto Ulster United, Toronto Metros Croatia, Toronto Blizzard

Gothenborg: GAIS, IFK Goteborg, Orgryte

Copenhagen area: Frem, FCK, Brondby, Lyngby, B1903

Moscow: Lokomotiv, CSKA, Spartak, Dynamo, Torpedo

Back