30 years ago this month Scotland were cheated out of a World Cup victory

Remember this well. Was working in the kitchens at Largs where the boys were staying and training at the time when one of my co workers got the pipes out to give them a send off on the way to the final. Was gutted for them too

Bl2dVDfCUAAam2v.jpg

Torbett left Hampden in disgust that day.

Was at the game, saudis had their ages checked by FIFA but only way was their passport. Government level conspiracy!

As ‘only an excuse’ memorably commented...a title which the Saudi team could look forward to sharing with their grandchildren...when they get home!!!

It was amazing how few of that Scottish team went on to achieve anything n the pro game.

They rarely do. It's why our wee stand at Auchenhowie is such a waste of money. How many have we brought through in twenty years. Loads of Scotland youth caps and phuck all first team players

They rarely do. It's why our wee stand at Auchenhowie is such a waste of money. How many have we brought through in twenty years. Loads of Scotland youth caps and phuck all first team players

That's more an indictment on how we have previously run our youth set-up than anything else.

Not sure why building a stand to watch current players is relevant to what the players you watch might do in 10 years time.

It was amazing how few of that Scottish team went on to achieve anything n the pro game.

I was at the final at Hampden too. The finals started slowly and the excitement built as the tournament went on. Gutted when we lost. Remember Gary Bollan looking like a future superstar in that tournament.

Thought it boded well.for the future but that squad went on to muster a grand total off18 total caps between 3 players.

Even worse was the under 20s squad that finished runners up to Spain in the Euros and went to the World Cup in Canada in 2007. Within 10 years more than half of them weren't even playing at SPL level. The South American squads gave us players that would define their national teams for a decade Vidal and Sanchez with Chile, Suarez and Cavanni with Uruguay and Aguero and Maria with Argentina (Messi could have played but had already graduated to senior team).

For all.we.talk about youth development, we seem to be pretty poor at developing players at the point where they are.ready to step up to the senior team for club and country.

Was at the semi at Tynecastle. Sold out, great game. Watched the final v Al Queda on the telly
I remember watching that final, fecking Brian O’Neil missing 2 penalties, one in normal time and another in the shoot out.

I’m sure that game was live on Grandstand on the Saturday afternoon and they had the big build up to it.

A year later I was in Saudi on the build up to the Gulf War, we had some Saudi Airforce guys with us, the one third from the left on the back row was one of them, he was 28!

As ‘only an excuse’ memorably commented...a title which the Saudi team could look forward to sharing with their grandchildren...when they get home!!!

"Lets take nothing anyway from the saudis...well perhaps maybe a photocopy of their birth certificates."

I was at the final and remember being raging at O’Neill for his penalty misses.

Prick.

That said, some of the Saudis were older than I am now

I remember watching that final, fecking Brian O’Neil missing 2 penalties, one in normal time and another in the shoot out.

I’m sure that game was live on Grandstand on the Saturday afternoon and they had the big build up to it.

Yes I too remember it was live on TV. And also those penalty misses however I think O'Neil scored the goal in the semi final(possibly played at Fir Park?) that got them there ?

I was at the Hampden final.im sure we missed a penalty when we were 2 up, Brian O'Neil possibly

Think he missed it at 2-1. And again in the shoot out. A haddy at 15.

Was there with my dad and brother. Only time we've ever been to support Scotland together. Or ever will for that matter.

Dickov's goal was a peach, he really should have been a better player than he was, turned him into a Billy Dodds type after he left Arsenal, when he was a really skilled pain in the arse as a young player

I went to the match as I knew it was probably the only chance I'd ever get to see Scotland in a World final.

In those less PC times, chants of 'You're only camel shagging b'stards'....

Thousands locked out too if I remember correctly

Correct. Including me.

Got into Hampden for the final and was absolutely gutted for the lads after the game.

I heard that a number of the Saudi “kids” were denied access into Charlie Parkers night club even after producing ID as they were supposedly only 15.

Utterly shameful the way our lads were cheated out of a World Cup win.

Bit off topic but 45 years ago last Friday Scotland beat Zaire 2 - 0 nil in the World Cup in West Germany.
They drew 0 -0 with Brazil 45 years ago tomorrow, all to the day as well, the Friday and Tuesday.
Great memories but jeez dont half make you feel old.

Back