30 years since the backpass law was changed

Goram struggled with this a little in the beginning. Don’t get me started on Ally Maxwell.

If you are talking about the Cup Final I always thought McPherson was the much bigger culprit that day. Absolute hospital pass to give him in such tight circumstances.

My biggest memory of this rule change was going to watch my dad play for the Alva Glen in the Sunday pub league. Whenever the ball was passed back to the 'keeper everyone would go daft, screaming 'HE CANNAE PICK IT UP'. Even if the nearest attacking player was 30/40 yards away the boys at the side did this. Went on for about 6 months iirc. :)

Good rule change imo.

It was the deliberate pass to the goalkeeper not the back pass.
You could deliberately pass the ball backwards, sideward or forwards and the offence would occur if the keeper then handled the ball.
Pedantic Loyal

They should get rid of the loophole where a player can use other parts of the leg to pass to the keeper, knee, thigh .

Always wondered why defenders dont just flick the ball up to themselves and head it back to the keeper.

We did to start with but I'm sure it changed where you couldn't "manufacture" a pass back by doing this.

As a side note, I played centre mid in the junior ranks at the time and as a fat wee cant hated it when it came in.

Couldn't get a 30 second breather when you were blowing out yer arse!

Whats the rule that stops it?
Im not sure but I remember asking a grade 1 ref about it and wondering the same thing. As Beetzy said I recall him saying something along the lines of it being "manufactured". It was 20 odd years ago but I do recall the ref saying it wasnt allowed.

Along with the nonsense about the 91 Cup Winners Cup, the Adriano mentioned in that article is not the Adriano everyone would assume it to be.

I remember our first goal in the league cup final against aberdeen in 92 was a pass back to snelders and he panicked and controlled it with his chest and mccall sneaked in and slotted home.

You could see snelders in the tv footage saying to the defender he couldnt handle the ball.

They should get rid of the loophole where a player can use other parts of the leg to pass to the keeper, knee, thigh .
disagree, what would old twats like me applaud as if it was a really clever thing to do, rather than just a bog-standard bit of footballing, just because it wasn't necessary 30 years ago?

What other rule rule changes have had such an impact on the game do you reckon?

How long has the offside rule been as skewed as it is about passages of play and interfering with play?

If you are talking about the Cup Final I always thought McPherson was the much bigger culprit that day. Absolute hospital pass to give him in such tight circumstances.

My biggest memory of this rule change was going to watch my dad play for the Alva Glen in the Sunday pub league. Whenever the ball was passed back to the 'keeper everyone would go daft, screaming 'HE CANNAE PICK IT UP'. Even if the nearest attacking player was 30/40 yards away the boys at the side did this. Went on for about 6 months iirc. :)

Good rule change imo.
I started to play in an over 30s Friday night league around this time.

To avoid any confusion and potential flashpoint the referees just ignored the new back pass rule.

I dont think its allowed.
I asked a referee once about flicking the ball up and heading it back to the keeper.

He said it was considered deliberate violation of the rules and worth a yellow card.

Don’t know if I’d agree with that but I figure it’s as good a reason as you’ll get as to why we don’t see it happen.

I think your a couple years too early plus naw it isnae. Was just a couple seasons ago …….;)

Back