32 years ago today. A bullet header against Celtic as we look for 2 in a row

Absolutely love watching highlights from the 80s.

Who would have thought back then that joke broon would end up working for ra sellick.

Here's a boring question.

If the fixtures swap every season then how come 32 years ago the first one was at the cesspit?

Here's a boring question.

If the fixtures swap every season then how come 32 years ago the first one was at the cesspit?
Partly could’ve been because we went down the leagues.

But it also switched around in the 90’s, there was 3 or 4 seasons in a row when the first OF league game was played at Ibrox, probably to do with the redevelopment of their dump!

But it also switched around in the 90’s, there was 3 or 4 seasons in a row when the first OF league game was played at Ibrox, probably to do with the redevelopment of their dump!
Ah ok.

The 90's are a little hazy to me :)

A wee snippet I wrote for the Fanzine about that day, many years ago...:)

And Rangers Take the Lead.......or do they???

Before I was old enough to go to the Cesspit and other away grounds I used to go and watch The 'Wee' Rangers or 'Colts' as we called them (your season book got you into the ground for free). Back then, as most of you will know the reserves always played at the same time as the first team, against the same team they were playing. Whilst I obviously knew things weren't quite the same I really didn't know the difference, as far as I was concerned I was at Ibrox, and watching The Rangers. So anyway on this particular day (August 1989) we were playing Celtic and after a drab 4 or 5 minutes every Rangers fan in the ground went ballistic. 'Butcher has scored, we are one up' my excited and ecstatic Granny told me. Utterly bemused I sat for a full 10 minute trying to work it out. 'I know who Terry Butcher is and he isn't playing' I thought to myself. 'In fact I've not seen any goals so how can we be winning?' I reasoned further. It took me until about half time to have it properly explained to me and I think I gave everyone around me a right laugh. I still love watching that header back on Youtube, which gave us our first point of the season and on our way to 2 in a Row. Great times!!

Er, no, it didn’t. The 1997 and 1999 fixtures had the first OF game at the Piggery. These were cancelled for the death of Princess Diana and our Champions League involvement, respectively.

The real change occurred in 2000 when the opening fixture, which should have been at Ibrox by rotation, was scheduled for the Piggery.

Er, no, it didn’t. The 1997 and 1999 fixtures had the first OF game at the Piggery. These were cancelled for the death of Princess Diana and our Champions League involvement, respectively.

The real change occurred in 2000 when the opening fixture, which should have been at Ibrox by rotation, was scheduled for the Piggery.
I cant remember this at the time, but are you saying 97 and 99 were swapped after fixtures published and then 2000 it just swapped?

I cant remember this at the time, but are you saying 97 and 99 were swapped after fixtures published and then 2000 it just swapped?

The 1997 and 1999 games were postponed and played later in the season, for the reasons above. This meant the first OF match took place at Ibrox but this wasn’t the intention of the fixture list. The 2000 opening OF match was scheduled for the Piggery for the second successive season despite the the opening fixture being on rotation for some years.

The 1997 and 1999 games were postponed and played later in the season, for the reasons above. This meant the first OF match took place at Ibrox but this wasn’t the intention of the fixture list. The 2000 opening OF match was scheduled for the Piggery for the second successive season despite the the opening fixture being on rotation for some years.
I remember games being postponed when diana died, didnt realise it had happened for our CL fixtures. The new year games still alternated didnt they?

What was hilarious (and totally shambolic from a Celtic point of view) about that goal was that the Celtic defenders had got so sucked into the Mojo hatred that was going on, that there were three of them marking him at the corner, giving Terry Butcher a virtually free header.

I was at that game, in their stand, and didn't know whether to cheer or just laugh. Naivety in the extreme.

On a sidenote, I have watched football in many countries, but never have I heard such vitriolic hatred by fans against one player, as was directed against Maurice Johnston by the Celtic support that day.

A total over reaction to disapproval of a social climber.

Back