32 years ago today - Rangers v Clydebank programme

I sent the picture of Coop, along with the first letter I ever wrote, to Ibrox with an SAE asking for his autograph.

He didn't reply :(

Fine Fare. Ha!

I worked for them at the time.

My boss was a mentally challenged and he hated me.

He had big lambchop sideburns and sticky outy eyes.

After we’d gubbed them on New Year's I remember him being extra c*nty when I was back in work.

In retaliation I left a slick of yoghurt at the entrance to the stockroom on which he slipped and fell on his big fat arse.

I worked with Mark Treanor from the Bankies

IIRC He was sent off that day with Butcher and Roberts remonstrating with the ref that he didn't deserve to go...>Souness ran by and said "Phuck him" and he went.

he didn't really want to speak about it on the Monday in the canteen!!!

:D :D :D

Great content and good readiing in the old programmes, I was at this game 5-0 iirc Fleck hat trick and Super Ally.
Cheers for posting

The programmes in those days were great - straightforward but interesting articles, some facts & figures, bit about the visitors, some historical content and decent value (not sure what your 1987 60p is worth now but Indontbremember feeling fleeced for the programme back then).

I can never get the game we played at Kilbowie the previous April out of my head. The game was played in atrocious conditions and I stood there contemplating, while soaked to the bone, why I bothered going to the football. Rangers had only won one match from nine, and it didn't get much better than that for the last three games of the season. Only a win in the final game of the season against Motherwell brought that run to an end. It truly was grim in those days.
Thank god for Graeme Souness and the revolution he started the next season.

My first game too - I remember it well because Fleck hit a hattrick.
First time at Ibrox and I just remember the wall of noise as I walked up the stairs into the Copland front! Will stay with me for ever and it wasn't even a sell out!

I'm away to have a look at my auld programmes, I'm certain that I put that Davie Cooper pic up on my bedroom wall back in the day. Cheers for posting Mark.

FFS!
before Souness during the dark days of the early 80's I would have been at 20+ games a season and would never had considered going to a Clydebank game!
Before Souness that game would get less than 20K, IIRC there was about 36K at Ibrox that day, for a Rangers Clydebank game that was incredible! it was a real sign that something big was happening

My great friend Philip Knell gets a mention for the reserves, used to stay with him at his landlady Mays place at Ibrox when i came over for the games 86/87.
Happy memories indeed.

Interesting to note some of the crowds were still pretty low. You could still pay at the gate up to the Hamilton match the next week, there was a really big crowd that day with people visibly having to stand on the stairs in the Broomloan. After that game it was all ticket for home matches.

Last edited:
the game I think every body in Scotland knew something big was happening with us,,to get over 36,000 through the gates on a cold January Saturday against Clydebank was astonishing for the time, , 36,000 these days is frowned upon ,but back then for a run of the mill league game it was a fantastic show of faith in the direction our club were heading

It was my first game as a 5 year old.

In the east enclosure and the queue was so big I think we missed a goal.

Clearly a 5-0 win and a sending off wasn’t enough excitement for me as I was on my dads shoulders trying to catch snow flakes in the second half.

I had been looking for a programme of this game but haven’t seen any on eBay.

I can never get the game we played at Kilbowie the previous April out of my head. The game was played in atrocious conditions and I stood there contemplating, while soaked to the bone, why I bothered going to the football. Rangers had only won one match from nine, and it didn't get much better than that for the last three games of the season. Only a win in the final game of the season against Motherwell brought that run to an end. It truly was grim in those days.

Alex Totten wsa in charge of the team that day IIRC. Wallace the week before, Smith next game at Love Street (Ally Dawson scored a craker) and against Aberdeen a week later - before the Magnificent Bar Steward arrived.

We were brutal in those days lol only good thing if the game was a shocker at Ibrox you could stretch out and have a kip having the whole row to yourself :)

Before I clicked I knew it was Colin West on the cover.
Not quite a statto I remember my mate wanting a picture of Colin West to take to the barbers to "get his hair done like it" and I only got it back that summer when I noticed it was the only one I had missing.

Interesting to note some of the crowds were still pretty low. You could still pay at the gate up to the Hamilton match the next week, there was a really big crowd that day with people visibly having to stand on the stairs in the Broomloan. After that game it was all ticket for home matches.

i got in the childrens gate, my dad was locked out.

i think that game was the first time we had the chance to go top of the league for years and years.

ended up going back to the taverna in strathbungo

My 10 year old nephew was here from Australia and I took him for his only ever visit to Ibrox that day. My abiding memory is of a freezing cold day and a massive queue for pay at the gate outside the Govan stand.

God, I was at that and bought the program. The ticket was still in a box in my old bedroom at my mum n dad's !

I found it when helping them move house a few years back.

16 years old I was then. Bloody hell.

Fine Fare. Ha!

I worked for them at the time.

My boss was a mentally challenged and he hated me.

He had big lambchop sideburns and sticky outy eyes.

After we’d gubbed them on New Year's I remember him being extra c*nty when I was back in work.

In retaliation I left a slick of yoghurt at the entrance to the stockroom on which he slipped and fell on his big fat arse.
Good work fella.

That was brilliant read for a gloomy Friday day, reminds me of my early twenty’s see the Glasgow Programmes advert in the “Inside Ibrox” page at the Rangers Shop on Copland Road loved the shop for the all wee things memorabilia you could buy pennants, badges duvets even decent silver compared to what the current shop has, also enjoyed buying away programmes sadly sold most of them in the 90’s started collecting slowly again around 15 years back from their pitch outside of the Main Stand and that same shop when was the bookies thanks for posting the images.

Where does the time go? :(

Coop too middle pages
The programmes in those days were great - straightforward but interesting articles, some facts & figures, bit about the visitors, some historical content and decent value (not sure what your 1987 60p is worth now but Indontbremember feeling fleeced for the programme back then).

Yip far lighter to fold in your back pockets too compared to one now a days

Back