35 years ago today we signed Richard Gough

Always saw it as a major coup we got RG despite having Terry Butcher .

As above Goughie epitomised everything. a Centre Half should be & wasn't to shabby at RB either.

A Great reader of the Game there hasn't been a Rangers or Scotland captain at centre half since who even comes close to Goughie .

I was working in London at the time we signed him - & the reaction of the Spurs supporters amongst my work colleagues spoke volumes - gutted doesn't come close

The whole thing was all the more ridiculous considering Dundee Hiv's wouldn't sell to us in the first place

RG was sheer class - in ability, attitude & professionalism -
He was a ridiculously hard act to follow & to be honest it's still not properly happened yet IMO

Thanks for the memories King Richard

A stalwart, the best defender and captain in my time watching Rangers. I remember seeing him play in one of the legends game not so long ago and think to myself he could still do a job. Class.

I remember the day after an Old Firm victory I was looking at the back pages of the papers in the old John Menzies in Argyle Street, and an elderly lady beside me asked “did the Rangers win, son?”.
I told her we had, and she said “that’s good, my grandson plays for them”.
I asked who her grandson was, expecting her to name some squad player or obscure reserve.
“Richard Gough” she said.

I mind waking up that morning and switching on the tv before i went to work. The uk sports headline was that we had signed the spurs captain. Just like that, right out the blue. No one was even really surprised, things like that happened regularly. Them were the days.

Made his debut v Dundee United away which we lost but made his home debut v them and scored a very famous goal that day.

I don’t think he played that day.
He didn’t, to be fair I was too busy with the mayhem all around me to actually watch the game!

Teams :
Spurs - Clemence, D. Thomas, Roberts, Miller, M. Thomas, Mabbutt, Cooke, Falco, C. Allen, Ardiles, Galvin
Subs. : Glenn Hoddle, Chris Hughton, Chris Waddle, Gary Stevens, Neil Ruddock
Glasgow Rangers - Nicky Walker, Ally Dawson, Stuart Munro, Graeme Souness, Dave McPherson, Avi Cohen, Cammy Fraser, Colin West, Ally McCoist, Ian Durrant, Davie Cooper.
Subs. : Hugh Burns, Robert Fleck, Derek Ferguson, Ted McMinn
Attendance : - 16,365

Former Spurs midfielder Graeme Souness brought his new look Glasgow Rangers side to White Hart Lane for Paul Miller's testimonial.

Around 8,000 Rangers fans made the trip south to London and Chris Woods and Avi Cohen watched from the stand before joining the Scottish side. Nicky Walker put in an excellent display of goalkeeping.
Rangers opened the scoring with Davie Cooper crossing for Cammy Fraser to head home from close range early in the match. The visitors had spent £2,000,000 on new players in pre-season 1986 and it needed the appearance of Spurs substitutes Glenn Hoddle, Gary Stevens and Chris Waddle to gain a second half equaliser through Clive Allen.

He linked up superbly with both Butcher and Bomber
Often wonder if Graeme Roberts hadn't been let go whether he would have remained out at right back for a longer period

Always saw it as a major coup we got RG despite having Terry Butcher .

As above Goughie epitomised everything. a Centre Half should be & wasn't to shabby at RB either.

A Great reader of the Game there hasn't been a Rangers or Scotland captain at centre half since who even comes close to Goughie .
I don't think Gough would have came to Gers when he did if it wasn't for Walter. It looked like he moved to Spurs for a year - became their captain - then moved back up to Scotland for us all because Jim McLean would not sell him to us.

The 2nd best captain in my lifetime, only John Greig surpasses him. A warrior and a leader, wish we could find another as good. Should have won over 100 caps,but fannies in management put paid to that

I was a huge fan of Charles Richard Gough. Hated it when Dundee Utd wouldn't sell him to us. It was of course rectified a year later via Spurs. What a player at Right back and Centre back.

Best centre half I’ve seen for us. Had everything you want in a Rangers captain and reminded me of the stories my grandad would tell me about his favourite captain Geordie Young.

During the 9 you just felt as a fan going to the piggery that if we had Gough and Goram we had a chance of nicking something with the attacking talent we had with Laudrup and Gazza.

If you asked Alexa what a Rangers captain looks like it would show you Gough.

I don't think Gough would have came to Gers when he did if it wasn't for Walter. It looked like he moved to Spurs for a year - became their captain - then moved back up to Scotland for us all because Jim McLean would not sell him to us.
It was Souness who signed him.

Best centre half and captain I’ve ever seen at Rangers and probably the best I’ll ever see.

My captain. Quite simply don't think we will see another like him. Typified everything that the skipper of Rangers should be. The way he speaks in interviews and on the various season reviews during the 9IAR era should be the blueprint for every Rangers captain (willing to let the accent slide though :))).

Back