35 years ago tonight - Rangers v Dynamo Kiev

mdingwall

Administrator

And the greatest atmosphere Ibrox has ever known. FACT. :)

Trying to talk to your pals was like trying to talk during a rock concert - you had to cup your hands around their ears and shout.

When the crowd was singing or chanting it was simply roaring. Never been in an atmosphere like it!

John McGregor put Belanov out of the game after 2 mins if I remember correctly

At the time Belanov was the current Ballon d’or holder,the top scorer in the previous seasons UEFA Cup

Didn’t diminish our performance that night.

It was the greatest Ibrox atmosphere I’ve ever been involved with until Leipzig (I can’t decide lol)

Also,I believe the first leg of this tie is the last time Rangers have ever played in front of 100,000

East Enclosure, and definitely the best European atmosphere I've witnessed at Ibrox.
Remember me and my mate walking in, and looking at each other thinking WTF ?, when we saw the lines for the wing had been taken right in.
Great ploy to stop their Wingers creating and getting space......and it worked !.

And the greatest atmosphere Ibrox has ever known. FACT. :)

Trying to talk to your pals was like trying to talk during a rock concert - you had to cup your hands around their ears and shout.

When the crowd was singing or chanting it was simply roaring. Never been in an atmosphere like it!

Was in the govan rear that night or premier club as they called it then brilliant night and unforgettable atmosphere

West Enclosure for me that night - great view of the goal at the Broomloan end which seemed to be in slow motion :)
My memories exactly.
I remember it was absolutely packed out, then another row of fans would arrive before kick off to form in front and behind of where we were standing.
Absolutely crazy scenes when the goals went in. I got lifted and dragged down a good metre or 2 in the celebrations.
The good old Enclosure memories.
That was the best though, just as everyone says.

Copland rear and I agree that night will never ever be matched for atmosphere, it was on a different stratosphere to anything before or since that I have personally experienced and I was at Bayern semi in 1972.

Last edited:
I was in the East Enclosure that night bouncing like a bouncy thing. Amazing atmosphere against one of the best teams ever to rock up at Ibrox. I'm sure the atmosphere rattled their players and almost certainly their keeper.
They were also rattled when after training on the pitch the night before, they came out to find Souness had ordered the width of the pitch lines to be shortened to the Uefa minimum. A tactic to help nullify Vasily Rats and Oleg Blokhin on the wings. It worked, with their officials out on their hands and knees measuring it before kick-off, leading them to protest after the match.
I recall football focus the following Saturday when guest Tommy Docherty was asked about the Souness pitch tactic, he said "Blatant cheating. Wish I had thought of it". :))

Struggle to decide what was the best atmosphere Kiev or Leipzig was an absolute pleasure being at both games without doubt the 2 best atmospheres I've been in probably sway towards Leipzig as it's fresher in the memory.
Both fantastic. I've written on here before about how good Kiev game was and the only difference Id say is that it must be best as is it was only time I've actually jumped up and down on my seat! Front row Govan then

Was at the game and a fantastic atmosphere, however, Leipzig just shades it for me.
Maybe because it's fresher in the memory and it took us to a final but privileged to have experienced both.

I was in the East Enclosure that night bouncing like a bouncy thing. Amazing atmosphere against one of the best teams ever to rock up at Ibrox. I'm sure the atmosphere rattled their players and almost certainly their keeper.
They were also rattled when after training on the pitch the night before, they came out to find Souness had ordered the width of the pitch lines to be shortened to the Uefa minimum. A tactic to help nullify Vasily Rats and Oleg Blokhin on the wings. It worked, with their officials out on their hands and knees measuring it before kick-off, leading them to protest after the match.
I recall football focus the following Saturday when guest Tommy Docherty was asked about the Souness pitch tactic, he said "Blatant cheating. Wish I had thought of it". :))
I seem to remember reading there was another measure after game.

Broomloan Front for me that night. The loudest I’ve ever heard Ibrox. I’ll never forget the wall of noise coming from the Govan stand that night.

Was there what a night , did we not have “To Russia with love” on the scoreboard after it or in a mixing my games.

Opinions and all that.

We are lucky that we have a support that creates such nights as the OP and Leipzig to allow us to even have a debate.

What a fantastic night. I will never forget the noise of our fans.

If i remember the magnifcent bastard shortened the pitch too.

Who was the wee fella from Kiev who was non existent after our tactical genious decided to go to that length?

He was a well known player at the time.

Was at the game and a fantastic atmosphere, however, Leipzig just shades it for me.
Maybe because it's fresher in the memory and it took us to a final but privileged to have experienced both.
Same mate, can’t imagine Leipzig ever being topped, but then we said it about Kiev, then some said it about Leeds, and Parma.

All were brilliant and god knows what we will produce in the future.

Remember watching taped highlights the next morning before school.

Oleg Kuznetsov playing.....wearing a knee brace. Was this the start of his problems :rolleyes:

Just noticed that too, I’m sure his Ibrox medical was rigorous o_O

What a fantastic night. I will never forget the noise of our fans.

If i remember the magnifcent bastard shortened the pitch too.

Who was the wee fella from Kiev who was non existent after our tactical genious decided to go to that length?

He was a well known player at the time.
Blokhin perhaps? I remember he was considered the danger man, Vasily Rats I think as well was a top player. They were a brilliant side full of talent.

Blokhin perhaps? I remember he was considered the danger man, Vasily Rats I think as well was a top player. They were a brilliant side full of talent.

Im sure it was Oleg Blokhin. I'm away to have a gander on t'internet. :))

Was in the Copland Front and I swear McCoist was laughing when he headered the second goal.

Back